Forum Index > Trip Reports > 8 Day Trek in the Cordillera Blanca - Peru 10/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostFri Nov 02, 2007 6:08 pm 
Peru - Part 3 of 3 8 Day Trek in the Cordillera Blanca 10/18/07 to 10/25/07 - My favorite part of our 3 part trip smile.gif We flew from Lima to Huaraz on the morning of 10/17 and had the day to get some stuff done before leaving for the 8 day trip. We flew on this tiny little 20 person plane for an hour before landing at Huaraz, elevation ~ 9000 ft. rolleyes.gif
plane to Huaraz
plane to Huaraz
kinda cramped
kinda cramped
I learned my lesson from being on the Inca Trail and took half a diamox the day before arriving in Huaraz, and it really helped. No altitude sickness this time around up.gif We weren't sure who was picking us up at the airport (~ 20 minutes by car from Huaraz), and as it turned out, nobody! huh.gif Scot had to get us a ride from the airline shuttle, it turned out to be free, yay! Mr. shuttle driver dropped us off at our hostel, and we were pleasantly surprised. We stayed at a place called hostel Churup and it's such a nice place! up.gif
from hostel in Huaraz
from hostel in Huaraz
from hostel in Huaraz
from hostel in Huaraz
from hostel in Huaraz
from hostel in Huaraz
After settling in, as I was just about to call our tour operator, a guy showed up in jeans and introduced himself as Paulino. He's the guy I've been e-mailing back and forth and is the president of the tour company. How nice! As it turned out, their office is just across the street from the hostel, how very convenient! He gave us some information about the trip and off we went to try to get some money to pay for the trek. It turned out to be more difficult than you can ever imagine! Damn ATM machines only lets you take out 1500 soles (~ 500 dollars) a day and for some reason the bank doesn't like old US Dollar bills confused.gif .... We had some trouble exchanging our dollars! waah.gif They have got to be crispy and good looking if you want soles out of them dollars! Anyway, we paid with cash what we could and put the rest on a credit card. Just FYI, it seems that a lot of places only take visa and not mastercard huh.gif We did what they call the Cedros - Alpamayo trek, usually this semi circuit takes 10 days, but we cut it short by stopping our trip at a town called Pomabamba. I don't have a map link but if you're really curious I can find you some. There is a good reason that most people don't stop at Pomabamba, because the only way to get from that town back to Huaraz is the bumpiest 8 hour bus ride you can ever imagine rant.gif Seriously! We were the only tourists on the bus.... and this bus was jammed packed shakehead.gif Anyway.... we met our guide (Abel) and cook (Epi) the morning of 10/18 and off we went! The car was packed with all our stuff and also our food for 8 days. We had some trouble closing the trunk hockeygrin.gif It took ~ 3 hours (by car) to get to the trailhead and we drove through some small towns along the way.
trailhead
trailhead
1st day of hiking was up, up, and more up, but we didn't hike for very long, maybe ~ 3 hours before reaching camp. That was fine with me.... damn altitude was making me tired! redface.gif We had some lunch that Abel packed for us in his pack and waited for Epi and the donkey driver to arrive with our stuff to set up camp. They didn't take long, showed up just as we were finishing lunch wink.gif
1st day
1st day
1st day
1st day
Scot on a rock
Scot on a rock
breakfast
breakfast
leaving 1st campsite
leaving 1st campsite
2nd day was more up! eek.gif We hiked ~ 3 hours before reaching camp, which was fine with me, haha. The weather got crazy and started raining quit a bit, good thing we had some shelter for the night.
2nd campsite
2nd campsite
I think this was our highest camp, ~ 15,000 ft. or so. It was by a lake, and at first we couldn't get a clear view of it because of the clouds and rain, but the next morning it cleared up nicely! Bigo mountains behind the lake, very beautiful agree.gif up.gif
sign!
sign!
putting up the toilet tent
putting up the toilet tent
Martin the donkey driver
Martin the donkey driver
2nd campsite
2nd campsite
Epi, Scot, Martin.... and the lake
Epi, Scot, Martin.... and the lake
The morning....
Scot enjoying the view
Scot enjoying the view
reflection
reflection
cheese!
cheese!
guys ahead of me on the trail
leaving 2nd campsite
leaving 2nd campsite
3rd day was really long! Oh my gawd, we hiked for ~ 7.5 hours and I got really tired! From the lake we went up to our first high pass, that wasn't so bad because we were already high.
almost to the first high pass
almost to the first high pass
Epi and us
Epi and us
Abel and us
Abel and us
15,922 ft.!
15,922 ft.!
trail
trail
peek-a-boo view of the trail
peek-a-boo view of the trail
But then we dropped down and then had to hike up to another high pass! Burp rolleyes.gif It was really beautiful and that kept me motivated to keep putting one foot in front of the other biggrin.gif Everything seemed so much harder at that altitude, I was crawling huh.gif After the 2 mountain passes, we hiked for a few more hours across this bigo valley to our 3rd campsite, Jancarurish.
3rd day
3rd day
3rd day
3rd day
sign!
sign!
This place is beautiful, we stayed here 2 nights up.gif
3rd campsite
3rd campsite
sign!
sign!
4th day was our 'rest' day.
having breakfast
having breakfast
breakfast
breakfast
3rd/4th campsite
3rd/4th campsite
Scot on the trail
Scot on the trail
4th day
4th day
Martin and us
Martin and us
We did a short day hike up to Laguna Jancarurish to try to get a look at Nevado Alpamayo. But nope, the mountain is shy, no Alpamayo today. The lake is beautiful, similar color to Blanca Lake.
Laguna Jancarurish
Laguna Jancarurish
Jake at Jancarurish
Jake at Jancarurish
We met a Canadian couple doing the trek on their own, said hello and they went on their way.
2 Canadians on the trail
2 Canadians on the trail
We stayed a while at the lake and headed back when the weather got cloudy/rainy. Then it started snowing that night!
snowing?! on 4th night
snowing?! on 4th night
5th day was the most beautiful (in my opinion). We awoke to a fresh blanket of snow on the mountains!
5th day
5th day
5th day
5th day
5th day
5th day
And it cleared up enough for Alpamayo to say hello. We took our time this morning, enjoying the clear view of Alpamayo and its surroundings.... it was amazing!
Nevado Alpamayo north side
Nevado Alpamayo north side
Nevado Alpayamo north side
Nevado Alpayamo north side
Then it was onward with another high pass.... arg, this one was difficult as we had more elevation gain to reach the pass. The nice weather helped and kept me motivated. As we got higher and higher the view opened up more and more.
heading up the 2nd high pass on the 5th day
heading up the 2nd high pass on the 5th day
Scot on the trail
Scot on the trail
Abel usually hikes with us, since he's the guide and all. But not today, he sent us on our way and said he's staying to help Epi pack and they would catch up with us at the pass. Uh, OK! Scot took the lead and I was crawling up to the pass behind him. As it turned out, we had no donkeys that day, WHAT! waah.gif I guess the new snow was dangerous for the donkeys or something, we never figured out what the problem was, and nobody told us, so Abel and Epi ended up humping all that stuff on their backs up to the pass! Oh my gawd.... hairy.gif We stopped up at the pass to wait for them, not too long after, Epi showed up with 2 huge packs and a bucket of fried rice in his hand?! That's lunch, duh! At almost 16,000 ft. eek.gif
Epi's fried rice on top of pass
Epi's fried rice on top of pass
me on top of pass
me on top of pass
15,951 ft.!
15,951 ft.!
The other side of the pass is beautiful as well, bigo valley! smile.gif It started raining on our way down and didn't stop until the next morning! We set up camp short of our destination for the day as it looked more swampy for miles and miles rolleyes.gif
other side of the pass
other side of the pass
Scot heading down the other side
Scot heading down the other side
it was raining really hard....
it was raining really hard....
5th campsite
5th campsite
6th day was a bit scary as Scot got blinded by snow the previous day! He couldn't see.... and was in a lot of pain frown.gif We didn't get going until the afternoon, as to get the eye balls some more time to rest. He did ok getting to our next camp, which took ~ 3+ hours. I think we camped on someone's property this night as there were two houses where we camped?! uhh.gif
6th day
6th day
on top of small pass
on top of small pass
Scot on the trail
Scot on the trail
6th campsite
6th campsite
6th campsite
6th campsite
7th day we took a detour, instead of going over another ~ 16,000 ft. pass we went another way and went over a smaller pass. The weather wasn't looking too good (snowy) and Scot still had eye troubles, so we opted to take the detour to a small town instead. It was a good choice considering the circumstances agree.gif hockeygrin.gif
7th day
7th day
7th day
7th day
Scot enjoying the view
Scot enjoying the view
shadow and shoes
shadow and shoes
7th day
7th day
We hiked for ~ 5 hours before arriving at a small mountain town with a bunch of kids! They were all curious about us. I don't think any tourists have camped in their town before paranoid.gif
last campsite
last campsite
houses on a hill
houses on a hill
8th day was the day we hiked out to civilization, and a thermal hot spring bath! It was a great 8 days in the mountains, we encountered all sorts of weather, even thunder! And found a homeless dog that followed us for a day. I didn't think I could survive that long in the 'woods' but it wasn't bad at all smile.gif up.gif
Pomabamba at sunset
Pomabamba at sunset
Pomabamba at sunset
Pomabamba at sunset
I'd recommend this trek to anybody agree.gif it's got some great views when it's clear agree.gif I already want to go back and do some other hikes in the same area! up.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Nov 02, 2007 6:43 pm 
wow what a trip - were the mountains above you the area where Joe Simpson experienced Touching the Void? and what happened to Scot? why was he blinded (was it the altitude? a reaction to diamox?) and is he ok now?

Gil

Gil
PostFri Nov 02, 2007 6:50 pm 
ohmigosh! That's amazing!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Nov 02, 2007 6:51 pm 
Amazing TR and pictures, silly_traveler Sounds like a great adventure with some very kind guides. ? Why snowblindness. Did he forget to wear his sunglasses?

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Nov 02, 2007 7:01 pm 
up.gif (Except for Scot's blindness)

Knows literally nothing
ScottM

ScottM
PostFri Nov 02, 2007 7:24 pm 
Very Nice!! I have always wanted to do some kind of trip like that in South America or maybe something in Nepal. I have always been apprehensive about it having never been outside North America. Did you go with a package through a local outfit or did you make all of the arrangements yourself.

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostFri Nov 02, 2007 10:56 pm 
HJT- You should totally go to Peru, it's full of variety! up.gif seawallrunner- mike is right. Siula Grande (the mountain Joe Simpson climbed) is in the Cordillera Huayhuash.... which is the other mountain range hmmm.gif Cordillera Blanca is north of Huaraz, whereas Huayhuash is south of Huaraz dizzy.gif But it is pretty much all in the same 'general' area smile.gif That circuit is suppose to be more remote hmmm.gif and ~ 8 mountain pass eek.gif I'd like to do it someday agree.gif Scot is ok now up.gif goats- Yup, he forgot to wear sunglasses! And at that altitude plus snow plus some sun.... it was very important! Our guides were great up.gif Abel was the official guide, but as we found out later he was sort of in training and Epi was actually a guide also hmmm.gif and he's also an excellent cook hockeygrin.gif Abel is only 20 and we took him out the night before we left town and by the end of the night had him talking to a plate of salad souse.gif It was a great time agree.gif ScottM- We went with a package deal through a local company up.gif It took me a while to find one since there are so many! It turned out alright smile.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Nov 02, 2007 11:11 pm 
That was a great series of TR's Silly. I'm really glad you and Scot got to do this, and have such a great time doing it. Sometimes these things don't meet expectations, but you obviously loved it. I am glad Scot is doing well now. It's a lesson for all of us.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 8:35 am 
Great way to end a three part adventure. Thanks ST.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 11:13 am 
seawallrunner wrote:
and what happened to Scot? why was he blinded (was it the altitude? a reaction to diamox?) and is he ok now?
Snow blindness is not something to be taken lightly. He was lucky to have apparently gotten a mild case or it could have brought the trip to a screeching halt. I thought I had it once on Rainier, but strangely only in one eye. It turned out to be a corneal abrasion instead. I wanna go! I wanna go!! agree.gif

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 11:17 am 
Very briefly, Sillys trip reports were the top three threads on the 24 hour page! up.gif

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 11:50 am 
Looks like a great trip!

peltoms

peltoms
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 12:39 pm 
Great lake pictures, beautiful snowfall. You make it look very relaxing. So why did you not go up a few feet to get the magic 16,000?

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 1:17 pm 
Yeah Dacker, it was scary.... he had all those symptoms mentioned.... ".... eyes being bloodshot and teary to increased pain, feeling gritty and swelling shut." He kept trying to wash them eyes but that didn't help shakehead.gif Then in the morning Abel and Epi boiled some coca leaves and he had those around his eyes. They use coca leaves for everything over there hmmm.gif peltoms- I never thought about it! hmmm.gif

mike

mike
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 2:35 pm 
Quote:
Cordillera Blanca is north of Huaraz, whereas Huayhuash is south of Huaraz
Just to clarify, The C. Blanca runs N & S of Huaraz but the big 6km peaks are mostly north. However the Pongos which are south of the road to Chavin are an excellent area to explore and don't attract the big peak seeking crowds. The Huayhuash is visible on the horizon 40-50km (?) to the south.