Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Early Scout Hikes in the Olympics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
geobob

geobob
PostTue Nov 06, 2007 7:42 pm 
I have a couple of old boy scout Camp Parsons Campers Manuals (from 1926 and 1927) that I inherited from my father that present the schedule of hikes that were available to the scouts. I've scanned the pages that list the hikes and thought I'd post them here for those of you who might be interested; here they are: 1. Cover of the 1927 manual (the 1926 cover is the same except there is no date at the bottom)
1927 Manual Cover
1927 Manual Cover
2. Page 35 from the 1926 manual
1926 Schedule
1926 Schedule
3. Page 35 from the 1927 manual
1927 Schedule
1927 Schedule
4. Page 36 (the same in 1926 and 1927)
Manual Page 36
Manual Page 36
Each camp period was for two weeks. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact dates of the sessions. Hope you enjoy! P.S. I thank goats gone wild for urging me to post these.

I think there's an easier way on the far side
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostTue Nov 06, 2007 8:31 pm 
Thanks for posting! Very fun reading.

ScottM

ScottM
PostTue Nov 06, 2007 9:14 pm 
I wish I had been a boy scout.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Nov 06, 2007 10:43 pm 
ScottM wrote:
I wish I had been a boy scout.
Me too! I want to go back in time and hike with them. See what food they took with them, what they used for firestarter, and see where and how they set up camp. I love the reference to the "new" Dungeness Trail. up.gif And just imagine taking the Canal-to-Ocean Hike...and taking a train back to Olympia rather than having to spend two days spotting cars at trailheads. This is great, geobob. Thanks for sharing!

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
geobob

geobob
PostTue Nov 06, 2007 11:14 pm 
hmmm...I may have some info about what food they took...it's written in pencil though, so I'm not sure how it will scan. I'll check it out.

geobob

geobob
PostTue Nov 06, 2007 11:22 pm 
Here's a motley looking crew of scouts showing how they were outfitted. They pretty much rolled everything up into a bedroll.
Scouts
Scouts
This photo was probably taken in 1926.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Nov 07, 2007 12:07 am 
Wow, what a time to have lived. Not that now isn't great, it's just different.

geobob

geobob
PostWed Nov 07, 2007 12:27 am 
Well, I was wrong about having a food list from the boy scout days, but I did find a trip report of a Mt. Anderson hike from July 9-12, 1928. I think it gives a good picture of what a boy scout excursion during that time was all about, so I thought it might be of interest. It's seven pages long, and each page is posted below separately.
Page 1
Page 1
Page 2
Page 2
Page 3
Page 3
Page 4
Page 4
Page 5
Page 5
Page 6
Page 6
Page 7
Page 7

Phil

Phil
PostWed Nov 07, 2007 9:12 am 
Fantastic stuff! I was a Camp Parsons scout, too, though 50 years after your Dad (as we've discussed PM). One of these days I'll drop in at CP and browse through their museum, I bet it is a treasure trove of similar manuals, pictures, and trip reports. I have only a few from my scout days ..... the local BSA printed out some nice guides of hiking trips that basically follow the paths of the Oneil and Press expeditions.

reststep

reststep
PostWed Nov 07, 2007 12:21 pm 
Great stuff geobob. Thanks for posting it. I see a couple of names on that list from Manette. One of them is Albert Meicho which is a name I know since they were friends of my parents. I was at Camp Parsons in the late 40's and will never forget hike week. By then we were using Trapper Nelsons as far as I can remember. The first year I was there I went on the Charlia Lakes hike.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Nov 07, 2007 1:00 pm 
geobob wrote:
hmmm...I may have some info about what food they took...it's written in pencil though, so I'm not sure how it will scan. I'll check it out.
Geobob was kind enough to send me their list of food and the prices. It's great history, is real food, and the comments are funny. Seriously, geobob, you should consider sharing it with everyone on this thread. I think they will get a kick out of it.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
geobob

geobob
PostWed Nov 07, 2007 1:04 pm 
Albert O. Meicho was the scoutmaster for the boy scout troop from Manette (Troop 505) from 1926 to 1929. The troop was started in 1926 but I don't believe it still exists. My father's name does not appear on the list of scouts at the end of the Mt. Anderson trip report, so I don't think he took part in that one. I really get a kick out of reading the trip report. It's amazing that they all came back in one piece (more or less). Sounds like there may be a pair of pants and a camera out there waiting to be found. I'm sure a critter got the chocolate! Unfortunately, that's the only trip report I have. I've heard that the scout museum at Camp Parsons has a lot of good stuff, but I haven't visited it yet. Maybe a fun thing to do on a rainy weekend; not sure they're open during the winter.

Phil

Phil
PostWed Nov 07, 2007 2:00 pm 
geobob wrote:
I've heard that the scout museum at Camp Parsons has a lot of good stuff, but I haven't visited it yet. Maybe a fun thing to do on a rainy weekend; not sure they're open during the winter.
I have good and fresh information that they are indeed open and that visitors are welcome, PM for details (sending u message now geobob). www.campparsons.com/ has a few vintage photos and historical info.

geobob

geobob
PostWed Nov 07, 2007 2:12 pm 
Restep: As a kid, I remember seeing in the basement a plain wooden frame measuring probably about 1 1/2' by 2' with a bunch of straps that I now realize was a type of "backpack" although there was no sack attached to it. I also later remember my father talking about folding all their gear in blanket and strapping it to the frame. Sounds like it may have been a proto "Trapper Nelson"-type pack. At GGWs urging (again), here is the food list that I mentioned in an earlier post. I didn't remember correctly; it is not in pencil and it's from post boy scout days. It's the food list for a climb of Mt. Olympus in 1934. Here it is:
OlympusFood1
OlympusFood1
OlympusFood2
OlympusFood2
As for the beans taking too long to cook, they should've packed a pressure cooker in with them! And note the 1 1/4 pound can of salmon for 14 cents!

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Nov 07, 2007 2:41 pm 
You are a good fellow, geobob. hockeygrin.gif According to my quick math, the total food costs for a 3 person group for a 5 day trip was: $4.62 Total weight (appx) 30 3/4 pounds. Divided by 3 persons = 10 1/4 pounds each. Not bad, not bad at all. Wow, not even the cost of one commercial freezedried meal today. Does anyone have an ultralightweight pressure cooker they want to loan out? winksmile.gif