Stewardship
/History 

Gear
/Food/Photo

Support
/Links 

Saloon
/Trade 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> A easy trail to a great peak, Sauk Mtn.
Previous :: Next Topic  
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:58 pm    A easy trail to a great peak, Sauk Mtn.
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Seeking a great time with a old friend and a new one, we decided that Sauk Mtn would be a perfect destination. Driving though the clouds we wondered what would be in store for us? A Sauked in summit? No, a trip to a viewpoint with partial clouds playing hide and seek with far off vistas, Perfect! This is exactly the kind of hike that pleases the soul and all the senses. One of life's experiences that enriches ones being and place on this earth never to be forgotten.

After a drive full of excitement and wonder, the parking area ended high upon the flanks of the peak offering a grand view that most all would be content with. But majestically above, the lofty summit beckons the walker toward the sky.
Casually winding up the trail ever higher, we enjoyed the sun and each others company with nary a fast heartbeat or perspiration. Soon after, we entered the cold side of the peak and into a winter landscape.
The clouds still concealed much of the surroundings, but the summit area was warm and rich with experience. Quickly finishing the walk at the viewpoint we were greeted by other people relaxing about with their kids, who were also in amazement of such a grand place.
Now a challenge lied before us, relax and enjoy the viewpoint, or, carry on to the true summit? Well...
I decided to at least 'scout' out the route which involved a exposed slab to gain another false summit. Much to my amazement, Calvin quickly joined me and after a couple words we scrambled up this harrowing section while Jon and the others watched with apprehension. We were successful with the scramble and back on safer terrain with only a couple moves that required attention on the ridge separating us from a rough boot path to the true summit. Once on top we looked over to Jon and started taking the mandatory summit photos. Not wanting to retrace our steps we searched for a safer option down which turned out to be a snowy and grassy gully and some loose, talus side hilling back to the view point. That wasn't really any safer and back at the viewpoint we joined Jon who expressed his concern about our choices and safety. After an apology regarding the lack of communication, everything was forgiven and we all celebrated the time together while waiting for all the views to appear and the sun to set.
--------------
Talk to your cat about catnip!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
touron
Members Only

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:19 pm   

Beautiful collection of pictures! up.gif  up.gif  up.gif

--------------
Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:32 pm   

Great sunset shots. Sunsets always seem so much more spectacular in the mountains.

--------------
Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:36 pm   

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, we were defiantly rewarded that day. Sometimes clouds conceal, other times they reveal.
--------------
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:42 pm   

Gorgeous photos.  I have planned to do this trip all summer long, but chose others in favor for one reason or another.  It's time I do it, no?

--------------
"How much does a case of beer weigh?

Z, NWHikers' Backcountry Travel Consultant
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
GeoTom
Custom Title

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:47 pm   

The only time I did this hike it was "Sauked in", but I still had a good time. Jasper didn't mind the lack of views or getting soaked either  lol.gif

--------------
Signature
Mesahchie Mark
Apprehensive

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:10 pm   

Nice one, Jeff!  Glad to see you finally got up there.  I'll have to give it a try one of these days...

--------------
Cheers,

Mesahchie Mark
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:54 pm   

Nice.  Great views from above the clouds.  Which day were you up there?
I like that cairn & clouds photo you added later.

--------------
“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:37 am   

Thanks for the prose and the pictures Jeff.   up.gif  up.gif
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:55 am   

Enjoyed the TR. Thanks for the effort to write it up like that.
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:46 am   

My grandparents had a cabin in Rockport and this is one of the first mountain hikes I remember, back in the 70's. Thanks for the memories.
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:04 pm   

Matt wrote:
Nice.  Great views from above the clouds.  Which day were you up there?
I like that cairn & clouds photo you added later.

Thanks Matt. I saw you at the top 100 party this weekend, but wasn't able to say hello.

I have a bad habit of not dating trip reports, sorry. It was Sunday. 11-4-07.

--------------
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:06 pm   

Magellan wrote:
Thanks for the prose and the pictures Jeff.   up.gif  up.gif

puzzlr wrote:
Enjoyed the TR. Thanks for the effort to write it up like that.

Thanks for the positive comments, I am glad you enjoyed.

--------------
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:15 pm   

Conrad wrote:
My grandparents had a cabin in Rockport and this is one of the first mountain hikes I remember, back in the 70's. Thanks for the memories.

Was the trail head located at its current place? And, have you been back since?

--------------
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:16 pm   

Jeff R wrote:
Conrad wrote:

Was the trail head located at its current place? And, have you been back since?

Can't swear where the current trailhead is since I haven't been there since back then, but my Green Trails map shows the TH at 4300' and the trail up to the ridge top 1.5 miles long, which is pretty much as I remember it back then. I generally don't drive that far for such a short hike anymore.

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> A easy trail to a great peak, Sauk Mtn.  
  Happy Birthday Toonces, sailBOI, mthyer!

Jump to: