Forum Index > Trip Reports > Horse Lake Mountain in the Clouds 11/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSun Nov 11, 2007 5:14 pm 
Ok, so this trip was not to a lost lake or the top of a rarely visited peak. I couldn't find a partner for a more interesting trip so instead I opted for a brisk local walk that allowed me to get home in 2 1/2 hours in time to still cross a few things off the honey-do list. Plus this gives me an opportunity to try out my first trip report and learn to post pictures. I was itching to get some excercise so I got up before dark and drove up #2 canyon so I could see the sunrise from the mountain. I was also hoping to catch some signs of wildlife. My mother-in-law saw a couple of elk the week before, I almost always see deer, and there is the occasional bear report. I often see bear tracks as well. This time along I saw hardly no signs of wildlife accept for a few birds. A little disapointing, but it is around hunting season. The sunrise, as well was somewhat disappointing. The most awesome part of the walk was travelling through the clouds. The bright white and pillow-shape clouds were around and below me. Any weather experts feel free to explain this but there were little spots of the clouds that suddenly shot up in the air in swirls kind of like a mini tornado spiraling the clouds vertically. This was all very quick so it was quite interesting to observe. The clouds moved about quite quick as the winds were high. The actual high-point of the mountain has restricted views due to the treeline, the lower point however has amazing wide open views. The stuart range is beautiful first thing in the morning as the sun shines bright on the snow. There are also views of Wenatchee and down into Devil's gulch. I highly recommend it for all local Wenatchee Residents (although all Wenatchee residents reading have probably already been there). It's a great place to bike, hike, walk a dog, or ride a horse. It's also a great place to take the kids. It also makes a good trail run and it's minutes from town. I think it would also make a good snowshoe walk. Directions: Drive up #2 canyon road, follow the dirt path a short ways through the first gate and park at the next one (which is usually closed) Follow the dirt road all the way to the top. The road initially skirts the side of a beautiful meadow full of young ponderosa pines. It's 3.3 miles to the top at a steady upward pace, 1600 ft. of elevation gain. Total walking time: 1:45 plus side wanderings
100_0285
100_0285
100_0294
100_0294
100_0297
100_0297
100_0289
3 labels
100_0289
100_0283
100_0283
100_0277
100_0277
100_0267
100_0267
Horse Lake Mtn.
Horse Lake Mtn.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Nov 11, 2007 8:46 pm 
Welcome aboard, MLHSN. Those are some neat cloud pics. You're right about that hike's popularity. Check out Wildernessed's "Twin Peaks" and my "Circumnavigation".

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSun Nov 11, 2007 10:47 pm 
After reading Wildernessed's "Twin Peaks", he noted the concrete pad as being an old homestead sight. Someone once told me there use to be a club that had an old ski cabin up there for cross country skiers. My grandmother-in-law said that way back in the day people from the valley use to travel to the meadow up there by horse cart to have and watch horse races. Supposedly they use to race around a track made around the meadow. You can kind of find an old road that use to go through the other side/middle. Do you know anything of the history? It would be fun to find a picture of the old building or horse race. I don't know the validity of it all because it's been passed down through a few people.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Nov 12, 2007 11:44 am 
A beautiful mountain that can be accessed from many ways in different seasons. Here is a more robust route from the NNE, which you could combine into a car to car trip by taking the South ridge from the summit and looping around towards number two canyon road. Horse Lake aka Twin Peaks Mtn. NNE route

Living in the Anthropocene
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Nov 12, 2007 1:06 pm 
A nice, nasty day for sitting home thinking about all the good old hikes ....... and planning new ones. MLHSN, here's my first major hike on Horse Lake Mountain, Castle Rock Ridge back in 2000 or 2001. (Sorry. No pics. I hadn't started carrying a camera back then.)
Castle Rock Ridge
Castle Rock Ridge
If Wildernessed had done this, he would start at the bottom, but I like to start with a ride up Number 2 Canyon, thereby saving about 2000 feet of gain. Coming down 4600 feet is hard enough on this old body. suuure.gif Since my daughter lives in the mouth of Number 2 Canyon, I usually end my Wenatchee hikes by walking in her door. wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostMon Nov 12, 2007 2:28 pm 
Exploring West
Have either of you explored farther West: Bear Gulch, Crow, Rag, or Pendleton Canyons?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Nov 12, 2007 2:55 pm 
Mission Creek, Mission Ridge, Devils Gulch, Red Hill, Red Devil, Red Hill Connector, Tronsen Ridge, Pitcher Mountain, Beehive Mountain, Eagle Rock, Mission Peak, Saddle Rock, Castle Rock, Old Butte, Rooster Comb, Burch Mountain etc... alot of easy access stuff year around good early spring hiking, snowshoeing, and long routes for training purposes.

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostMon Nov 12, 2007 2:59 pm 
You'll have to let me accompany you on some of those snowshoe trips this winter. I get cranky when I don't excercise in the winter. It would also add some additional excercise to the usual trips.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Nov 12, 2007 3:34 pm 
I'm too slow to make a good hiking partner, but I'll be glad to share what I know.
Horse Lake Mountain and Wenatchee area routes

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Nov 12, 2007 3:43 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
I'm too slow to make a good hiking partner, but I'll be glad to share what I know.
That map looks printable. We need a "Hiking Wenatchee and Central Washington Guidebook" winksmile.gif

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostMon Nov 12, 2007 4:02 pm 
There's already the 55 hikes book, but there not so much as central as I would like. Ever been to Northrup Canyon? I here that's a good late fall one.

Echo
not a voice

Echo
not a voice
PostMon Nov 12, 2007 4:41 pm 
Here's what you get if you run a search on Northrup Canyon here on nwhikers.

Sweetest Echo, sweetest nymph, that liv'st unseen Within thy airy shell, by slow Meander's margent green, And in the violet-embroidered vale.