Forum Index > Trail Talk > Salal leaf 'faces' in ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostThu Nov 22, 2007 8:12 pm 
Who the hay keeps leaving salal leaves on south-eastern ONP trails with three holes poked in them to look like a face? I've seen them on Lena lake and North Fk Skokomish. The occur about every 50 yards or so. Its driving me crazy. Anyone seen these?

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostThu Nov 22, 2007 10:10 pm 
I've also noticed these for the past few years. I also figured that "someone" was doing it, but since I've seen them on sooooo many trails, I think it has to be some insect. Happy bugs?? tongue.gif

God, I am going to regret this someday!
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Nov 22, 2007 10:57 pm 
DANG, where's Quark when you need her? I'll bet SHE knows the answer to this mystery.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
drewcoll

drewcoll
PostThu Nov 22, 2007 10:58 pm 
one of these babies?
scary face leaf found on the trail
scary face leaf found on the trail
rangers did it. sneaky devils. Saw them on the way to flapjack lakes in october, this picture/post is from a report in june. "I left the "scary leaves" for the trail crew up at 9 stream coming out. And left a bunch last month in Elwha to Hayes....SPOOKY ?? You saw Rod comoing from First Divide. He and I will be working the area this summer. Skok, Duck, Dose perhaps our paths will cross. were busy, however if need any specific info about district.. just ask. -Bruce BC Ranger Hood Canal ONP" Sorry to ruin the leaves' more mythical origins!

vooz

vooz
PostThu Nov 22, 2007 11:19 pm 
salal leaves
We picked nearly 30 of these up in the staircase area on a hike with my mom. She took them to Dylan Fischer at Evergreen State College, who is a forestry ecology professor. After examining them he was stumped and said that he had never seen it before. He concluded that it must be a person doing it. A few days ago I found more of these on the Lena Lake trail, all below the lower lake in various stages of decompostion. A funny little signature if it is indeed.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Nov 22, 2007 11:21 pm 
drewcoll wrote:
-Bruce BC Ranger Hood Canal ONP"
This was going to be my first guess. We brought one home and stuck it up on the fridge hockeygrin.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostFri Nov 23, 2007 9:00 pm 
Dylan Fisher is one sharp fella.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Nov 23, 2007 9:19 pm 
I hope Barry Donahue never crosses his path
Barry would take a dim view to such backwoods vandalism - especially by a fellow ordained Ranger.

vooz

vooz
PostSun Nov 25, 2007 8:14 pm 
pest; If you are at Evergreen, come by for the Wilderness Adventure Club's first meeting on wednesday at sem2 b1107 at 1:00pm. We need the outdoor community at Evergreen to make a showing.

Bruce

Bruce
PostSun Nov 25, 2007 9:15 pm 
Leaf Facel
I did it! (trail clearing) ? However...have noticed similar copycats.

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostSun Nov 25, 2007 9:19 pm 
Aha!! The culprit! Now...the motive? Whered you get the idea?

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Nov 26, 2007 12:03 pm 
Bruce wrote:
I did it! (trail clearing) ? However...have noticed similar copycats.
It can't ONLY be you! I've seen them on trails at Ozette, Elwha, Staircase and the Hoh! lol.gif Maybe you've started a trend? hmmm.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Nov 26, 2007 1:58 pm 
Bruce, you're probably screwing up a whole generation of younguns. lol.gif My dad used to tell us goofy things, like tapioca is fish eggs and for some reason he called Colorado's Garden of the Gods "Standing-up Country." Years later, my sisters, who were in college, had friends over for dinner, and my mom served tapioca pudding for dessert. My sisters actually still thought it was fish eggs and informed their friends that it was good, even though it was fish eggs. Stranger still, my brother - an adult out of college, finished with his tour in the military, husband, father - taking his family on vacation in Colorado exhausted all the ranger stations asking them where "Standing Up Country" was. This is a true story. Poor guy felt like a prize horses' ass after he finally called my dad on the phone and found out the truth. embarassedlaugh.gif It was funny as hell.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Bruce

Bruce
PostMon Nov 26, 2007 2:01 pm 
Perhaps!
Why could we have not been in all those areas? The past decade I have worked in all ONP districts. Also only hike Olympics and stay on peninsula. Almost NEVER go to mainland. Why? why not guess its something to thrash over Bruce perhaps C U in BC

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Nov 27, 2007 8:06 am 
Bruce wrote:
Why could we have not been in all those areas? The past decade I have worked in all ONP districts. Also only hike Olympics and stay on peninsula. Almost NEVER go to mainland. Why? why not guess its something to thrash over Bruce perhaps C U in BC
You've met me dear! In the 7 Lakes Basin... 2002? 2003? smile.gif Hopefully we'll cross paths again. I miss the Olympics.