Forum Index > Trail Talk > Salal leaf 'faces' in ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Beef

Beef
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 am 
I deleted my original post. I didn't think it was constructive.
Sarvesh wrote:
kind of annoying to keep seeing trail junk every 50 feet. Not creepy, just annoying.
I agree. It goes way, way beyond casual. It's one of those things you'd have to see to understand. I suspect that most people dismissing this have only seen the leafs after someone like me has picked the majority of them up, pulled them down, or kicked them off the trail. They are literally every 25-200' for miles and miles. When you see them, it's obvious that one individual is making the vast majority of them. Copycats are easy to spot.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
friendlymarmot

friendlymarmot
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 11:50 am 
bobbi wrote:
how many of us really uphold the leave no trace ethic?
Your comment disturbs me. I hope people are upholding the leave no trace ethic. Besides being annoying seeing trash every 50 feet on a trail, it's against federal law to destroy vegetation in the national parks. Leaving no trace is the only way that the national parks will be preserved. I am dumbfounded that an Olympic National Park ranger claimed that he started this. They should be the example of how you should treat the park, not giving other copycatters infectious ideas of how to trash the place. I'm sick of seeing those. Now that I know it's a ranger who is a federal employee that started this, I feel like filing a complaint.

half fast

half fast
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 12:24 pm 
bobbi wrote:
...yet you assume ... Bruce is still the only one making those faces on the leaves.
MOssy Mom... you forgot three very important words in the quote that you took from bobbi's post !!

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 12:32 pm 
bobbi wrote:
how many of us really uphold the leave no trace ethic?
I do - religiously. Additionally I pick-up other people's trash, get rid of illegal fire rings, clean up camps that were left a mess by the last occupants. And I adore washed out roads that keep the slobs in their cars instead of on the trails carving their names into the trees so everyone will know "I WAS HERE!" sorry but the insignificance of a persons state of being is not being helped by vandalism. If I want to see the works of man I'll stay in the city, go to a museum or a concert. In the woods all I want to see is the work of nature. Every one of us should be leaving the place one little bit cleaner than we found it, certainly not leaving our calling card for all others to have to see. The mountains are still recovering from the 40's and 50's mentality of 200 people each with their own fire ring sprawled out across delicate meadows...blissful ignorance can no longer be tolerated. I too am feeling the need to complain about this practice.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 12:34 pm 
friendlymarmot wrote:
I hope people are upholding the leave no trace ethic.
About the only way to truly leave no trace is to not go into the wilderness in the first place. Unless you're some kind of ninja, you will probably leave some tracks or disturb some vegetation/animal. Human scent alone affects animals.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 12:38 pm 
Are you sure it wasn't me? hmmm.gif I find it so interesting when the general public starts to...... Oh, forget it. shakehead.gif

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 1:25 pm 
I am Bruce.... tongue.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 2:37 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
No, No, I am. lol.gif

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Beef

Beef
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm 
Ranger Smith wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
No, No, I am. lol.gif
Calm down, you can take turns smile.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 5:15 pm 
It's ok we have enough crosses for everyone hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 7:29 pm 
They call me Bruce?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 8:10 pm 
Salal leaves were the beginning....'Bruce' is up to other things I've heard.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
RodF

RodF
PostTue Aug 02, 2011 7:33 am 
Sarvesh wrote:
If I want to see the works of man I'll stay in the city, go to a museum or a concert. In the woods all I want to see is the work of nature.
Why are you hiking on trails? Trails are very much the work of man. Some days, all I do is chop salal. To keep the trail corridor open. I can't believe salal leaves are the main thing you notice on trails! Please notice the cut logs. Every year, 3 to 10 windfall logs per mile are cut off the average trail to keep it open. Occasionally, the entire log is gone down the hillside after being cut, leaving no obvious trace of its existence. But most are lying right there next to the trail. Please count them! Simply look 50 feet off trail and see how many logs are lying on the ground - that tells you how entirely artificial that open trail is. Not to mention the footbridges, log puncheon, cribs, curbs and waterbars. The artificiality must be very annoying! If you wish to see only nature, please stay a few hundred yards off trail and make your own way. Find and follow the entirely natural elk trails, not the entirely artificial human trails! We'll all be happier if you do.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
huey

huey
PostTue Aug 02, 2011 7:59 am 
Quote:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:33 am Post subject: Sarvesh wrote: If I want to see the works of man I'll stay in the city, go to a museum or a concert. In the woods all I want to see is the work of nature. Why are you hiking on trails? Trails are very much the work of man. Some days, all I do is chop salal. To keep the trail corridor open. I can't believe salal leaves are the main thing you notice on trails! Please notice the cut logs. Every year, 3 to 10 windfall logs per mile are cut off the average trail to keep it open. Occasionally, the entire log is gone down the hillside after being cut, leaving no obvious trace of its existence. But most are lying right there next to the trail. Please count them! Simply look 50 feet off trail and see how many logs are lying on the ground - that tells you how entirely artificial that open trail is. Not to mention the footbridges, log puncheon, cribs, curbs and waterbars. The artificiality must be very annoying! If you wish to see only nature, please stay a few hundred yards off trail and make your own way. Find and follow the entirely natural elk trails, not the entirely artificial human trails! We'll all be happier if you do.
rocker.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Aug 02, 2011 8:13 am 
RodF ROCKS! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss