Awesomeness!! agree.gif

Sassy - a recovering couch potato
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 8:55 pm 
Super cool Rod! Thanks for posting. up.gif I thought ONP was just going to let the shelters fall. Is that only in the NP and not the NF?

Phil

Phil
PostThu Oct 13, 2011 7:24 am 
Sharp-looking shelter. Love the bunks!

trestle

trestle
PostThu Oct 13, 2011 6:35 pm 
JimK wrote:
Has the lawsuit been filed yet to have it torn down? smile.gif
Let's hope not.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
elderbob

elderbob
PostFri Oct 14, 2011 7:45 am 
Thanks HJT and Rod for the photos of the shelters. I have added a link to the Wilder shelter on my website and put the other photos of the shelters in their appropiate place on my website. You both get credit for the photos. www.windsox.us

www.windsox.us Bobs ONP site
elderbob

elderbob
PostSat Oct 15, 2011 7:04 am 
Here are some direct links to where I posted the information on the Wilder Shelter and the other assorted shelters. http://www.windsox.us/VISITOR/HISTORY_BUILDINGS/ELWHA_AREA_2.html#EL21 Scroll down to the Wilder Shelter http://www.windsox.us/sitemap.html http://www.windsox.us/VISITOR/history_buildings.html Scroll down to Elwha area, click on it and then click on Wilder. You can use the above link to see where I posted the photos of the shelters taken in 2011. Look for the updated dates of 10/14/11

www.windsox.us Bobs ONP site
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 8:19 pm 
Wow! I also thought there was to be no restoration or even care for the shelters. What is the criteria for where and how a shelter can be taken care of or not? Anyway, thanks so much Rod for the update and photos. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Criminal

Criminal
PostSun Nov 13, 2011 7:31 pm 
HJT wrote:
Boulder Shelter
Boulder Shelter
Camp Handy Shelter
Camp Handy Shelter
The Tunnel Creek Shelter:

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
RodF

RodF
PostTue Nov 15, 2011 1:38 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Wow! I also thought there was to be no restoration or even care for the shelters. What is the criteria for where and how a shelter can be taken care of or not?
In short, compliance with the National Historic Preservation Act depends on the land manager. I believe that within the last 15 years, most of the remaining shelters that are still standing have been fully restored, and the remainder have had at least some maintenance (several more have collapsed, but remain eligible for restoration). Olympic National Park has gone through the extensive process of documenting and listing all of its remaining 21 shelters in the National Register of Historic Places, and is maintaining and restoring them as manpower and budget allow. At least two (Happy Four and North Fork Sol Duc) were restored by volunteers. Their 2009 Historic Structures Report documents their 42 remaining wilderness shelters, ranger stations, homestead cabins and lookouts. So their policy is clearly established. Within Olympic National Forest, of the 12 surviving shelters, 9 have been restored by Friends of Olympic Trail Shelters, and 3 by the Olympians Hiking Club, Backcountry Horsemen of Washington and other volunteer groups. USFS contribution has been cedar bolts (confiscated in timber theft cases) from which shakes can be split, and the permits and agreements to allow volunteers to do the work. I'm not aware of any policy or planning document that sets a clear policy for Olympic NF's compliance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act; it seems to be done on a project basis. Although all are eligible, ONF has not listed them in the National Register. So their future is shakier; it depends on finding someone in the USFS who cares enough to push the paperwork through to allow volunteers to keep them standing.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Nov 15, 2011 10:08 am 
Thank you so much for that info, RodF. I don't know where I got the idea that they could only restore or repair structures considered to be vital for park upkeep or patroling. My understanding was the barn and shelter at Elkhorn were supposed to be allowed to rot away. Anyway, good nto know this information. The shelter at 21 mile on the Bogey is collapsed. It would be nice to see that one restored as well as the repair of Hyak shelter. Bear Camp shelter on the Dose is in need of some TLC. It saddens me to see the loss of these shelters. If I ever hit the lotto I will certainly start a Olympic Shelter Endowment. I know this is off topic, but I am also saddened by the slow decay of the old Dose Campground and Ranger Station w/facilities there. I doubt the road will ever get fixed, but the campground and all should have some level of upkeep. Maybe consolidate the tables there and pull out old fire pits not being used. Let what will not be used return to ma nature without old steel firepits and old picknic tables scattered around. Also upgrade the presence there with rangers. I know I would love to help out Bruce as a volunteer ranger. The last time I was there, it looked as if a tree had been crudely cut down for fire wood. Other trees had also been hacked on. Lots of trash left around as well. Sorry to clutter up the thread with my mini rant about park maintenance. Good info. Now I guess I better go buy a lottery ticket. hahaha Rumi <~~~~~~loves olympic national park

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Criminal

Criminal
PostTue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 am 
This is the sign inside the Tunnel Creek shelter:

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
RodF

RodF
PostThu Nov 17, 2011 1:51 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I know I would love to help out Bruce as a volunteer ranger.
The entire Staircase ranger district (Skok, Duck and Dose) is down to only 2 rangers (Bruce and Erin) and needs at least 5. The official request for backcountry rangers should be posted soon on volunteer.gov If interested, please contact Olympic NP Volunteer Coordinators Heather Stephens or David Merritt at <first_last>@nps.gov or 360-565-3142. It starts with a marvelous week of seasonal training in early June with a wealth of information on the Park and NPS.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 17, 2011 4:48 pm 
RodF wrote:
If interested, please contact Olympic NP Volunteer Coordinators ...
Thank you so much, I will get off an email in the next day or two. I have been thinking of this for two years or so. When I first met Bruce and Erin, I was very impressed by their dedication and joyful spirit.
HJT wrote:
I hiked past Bear Camp shelter in September 2011 and some supplies for repairing it were waiting on the ground nearby, having been helicoptered in sometime this last summer. I recall RodF saying that it is to be repaired next summer.
Again, very good news. I was last there in August of 2010. Rumi

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSun Dec 18, 2011 8:17 pm 
Just scanned some long lost but recently found negatives from a 1964 trip up the Dose, over Lost Pass and Cameron Pass, over Grand Pass, on to Obstruction and out over Grand Ridge to Deer Park. I was 14 at the time, and it was a great time. Along the way we stopped at several shelters, but I only have photos of two of them. One is probably the Dose Meadows shelter. I'm pretty sure the other is the Upper Cameron shelter. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. We'd had great weather till we reached Cameron Basin, but then the weather turned. The hike through driving rain and cold temperatures from Cameron over Grand Pass had us drenched and cold by the time we reached Grand Lake. The Grand Lake shelter was a very welcome sight. It’s too bad we’ve lost so many of the shelters over the years.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Dec 18, 2011 8:56 pm 
AA, very cool! Maybe you can do a TR of sorts for this trip. Rumi