Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Olympic trail shelters
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Author     Message
AA+
guschiggins51

guschiggins51
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 10:46 pm 
I'm late to the party here. Last time I went by Home Sweet Home shelter in about 2001, it was looking pretty flattened and falling over.

The Lena Lake structures which got mentioned here. I know it was an old scout camp... On the far side of the lake (across from where the privy and group camp are) on the way to the Valley of the Hidden Men trail to the Brothers, there are some clearings back in the woods that are flattened out.

There is definitely some very old wood back there that looks like some sort of a structure. That would also be the north side of the lake like the description had.

I know this is an Olympics topic, but last time hiking past it at Mt. Rainier, I was surprised that the Nickel Creek shelter had been totally disassembled. There's just a big flat area where the group camp used to be.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSat Jan 29, 2022 11:09 am 
guschiggins51 wrote:
Last time I went by Home Sweet Home shelter in about 2001, it was looking pretty flattened and falling over.

ONP burnt the remains of the Home Sweet Home shelter on the 4th of July weekend in 2001. I camped at Home Sweet Home the day after rangers had burned it. The rangers hadnít left yet so I had asked about the big burn spot on the ground and they told me it was from burning the damaged shelter. ONP was going to helicopter in a replacement shelter, but Wilderness Watch (I think that was the group) made them not do it with lawsuits.

--------------
If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jan 29, 2022 2:30 pm 
I donít know about Wilderness Watch but Olympic Park Associates now known as Olympic Park Advocates was involved in preventing the new shelters that had already been built from being lifted to Home Sweet Home and Low Divide.

Olympic Park Associates was also involved in preventing the Dosewallips River Road from being reopened.

--------------
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

RodF
Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Jan 29, 2022 4:00 pm 
Did anyone out there ever visit the old Lower Lena Lake shelter? It was on the south shore of the lake near where the trail hits the lake.  Back in '54 our trail crew had a beer bust there one night after maintaining the trail from the road. Drank lots of Olys.

reststep

reststep
PostSat Jan 29, 2022 4:08 pm 
I passed by the shelter at Lower Lena several times back in the 50ís. I donít know if I am remembering this correctly but I think the trail went by near the shelter.

--------------
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir