DSC00015
DSC00015
Botten  05
Botten 05

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
graywolf

graywolf
PostMon May 05, 2008 9:23 am 
I recognize Ahlstrom's Barn and Roose's homestead (going out there on the 15th, 16th & 17th), but where is Botten's cabin?

The only easy day was yesterday...
RodF

RodF
PostTue May 06, 2008 1:16 am 
graywolf wrote:
...where is Botten's cabin?
21 miles up the Elwha trail, alongside Leitha Creek at Camp Wilder. more

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
graywolf

graywolf
PostTue May 06, 2008 4:53 am 
Thanks! I've actually been there and do remember it now that you gave me that information.

The only easy day was yesterday...
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue May 06, 2008 10:59 am 
Why exactly is Botten's cabin of historical significance and Crisler's were not?

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
javman

javman
PostWed May 07, 2008 6:09 pm 
Anyone have a photo (or info) of the shelter that used to be on the South Fork Hoh (Big Flat area)? Just curious. Robert Wood made reference to it, but I haven't seen any other historical references... Like when it was built or what happened to it? How far from the bank of the Queets River is the Pelton shelter? Is it easy to find based on the location marked on the USGS quad? This is a cool thread. Thanks to all who've contributed up.gif up.gif

Damian

Damian
PostWed May 07, 2008 8:14 pm 
Scotts Bluff, Toleak, Enchanted Valley..
Gloom & Storm
Gloom & Storm
Shelter
Shelter
Shelter3b
Shelter3b

RodF

RodF
PostThu May 08, 2008 11:02 am 
goats gone wild wrote:
Why exactly is Botten's cabin of historical significance and Crisler's were not?
Crisler is certainly a significant historic figure, and his Hotcake Shelter was said to be potentially eligible for listing once it reached 50 years of age. Unfortunately, it collapsed about that time. It and Crisler's other shelters (listed here), didn't, to quote the criteria, "embody the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction, or that represent the work of a master, or that possess high artistic values". They were of rather haphazard design and construction, and didn't last. In contrast, Grant Humes' workmanship (at Humes, Reimann and Botten cabins) was to a much higher standard and has has had greater longevity.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Bruce

Bruce
PostThu May 08, 2008 11:27 am 
Pelton
End of trail set back from the river bank. Queets after getting across river at the start is mostly flat and goes from little meadows and alder/maple bottoms to this shelter. one can continue along the river same side for about another 10 miles. The valley narrows before Service Falls and one is just below South Peak of Olympus. Wild and quiet country S. Fork Hoh shelter loooong gone.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu May 08, 2008 10:41 pm 
javman wrote:
How far from the bank of the Queets River is the Pelton shelter? Is it easy to find based on the location marked on the USGS quad?
Not exactly sure--I'm guessing it was about 100 yards or more last time I was there (about 6 years ago.) Not sure what the river has done since. P.S. The Pelton Shelter is haunted. paranoid.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 7:21 pm 
Graves Creek Shelter
Graves Creek Shelter
An old Shelter on Graves Creek.. This is a really pretty spot where the creek thunders into a gorge.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 7:31 pm 
Sundown Lake
Sundown Lake
RPBrown wrote:
I stayed (actually slept in) the Lower Cameron shelter on two occasions. Once around 1974 (I was just a little kid) and again around 1984. It was very clean as far as shelters go with a gravel floor and pole-style bunk beds. I think it's the only shelter I've ever slept in. I remember the Upper Cameron shelter in 1974 but it was gone in 1984. As I recall (don't quote me on this) it was just slightly upstream from where the Grand Pass trail intersects the Cameron trail. The Belview shelter was hit by an avalanche. I remember seeing it in the 1970's and it was listing pretty bad then. There was also a shelter at Sundown but the Park Service tore it down. You can still see the logs from it in the outlet of the lake. I'm almost positive the Low Divide Chalet was hit by an avalanche (that came down from Mt. Seattle) not too long after it was built. I remember reading somewhere about a pack service that packed people in there and there was a bed & breakfast style operation for a while.
These logs on Sundown Lake?
Sundown Lake
Sundown Lake
100_5910
100_5910

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 7:49 pm 
Re: South Olympic shelters
RodF wrote:
Don Abbott provided these photos of shelters in the southern Olympics. Sundown Lake Shelter, 1989 and 1993 (destroyed in the late 1990s)
Oh wow, I was camped there two nights ago I sat on one of the shelter logs without knowing it. I even drew a picture with that stump in it. I did wonder why that campsite was so large..

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 7:56 pm 
Harps Shelter on the Skokomish

RodF

RodF
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 12:28 am 
pest wrote:
RPBrown wrote:
...There was also a shelter at Sundown but the Park Service tore it down. You can still see the logs from it in the outlet of the lake.
These logs on Sundown Lake?
Last year, several old logs with obvious "log cabin style" fitted notches cut into them (apparently once part of the shelter) were jammed in the outlet stream of Sundown Lake, above where the trail crosses it. I didn't see notched logs in the lake itself.