Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ramparts Again 11/23/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 7:32 pm 
Rampart Lakes
Matt, you out-do yourself! Gorgeous shots of the alp wonderland. Many thanks. How did you slide down the trail to Rachel Lake? No sommersaults, I hope. What would the place look like, now, following the big storm of Monday, 12.3.07? Just thinking about that...don't go running off tomorrow and check it out!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnMike

MtnMike
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 9:33 pm 
Quark. Mr Matt failed to mention that the plan by the “Mutineers” was to return by dark to the car, and that’s exactly what we did (another minute we would have needed the headlamps). You may not believe, but safety is job one! We knew the icy trail would be no fun in the dark. We had a great time exploring a few of the lakes (just not all like M had to do) before having a wonderful relaxing break at Rachel Lake. Matt a failed to mention that we waited 45 minutes for him in the cold car. Maybe he should drive himself next time so we can get home earlier and get well rested before having to be a work early the next morning. Then Matt can do anything he wants. wink.gif

MtnMike
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 10:17 pm 
Not buyin' it MtnMike. What's a little bit o' darkness to da Torch. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 11:17 pm 
The "mutiny" description was meant to be humorous, not critical. Given the condition of the trail, I think it's completely sensible that some people wanted to wander for a shorter time around the lakes without having to hurry and then get down the trail before dark. I also think it was reasonable for me to want to explore somewhat further, since the original plan was to spend all afternoon at the lakes, and I did my part by hurrying much more than I otherwise would have. I think the outcome was a reasonable compromise. BTW, the Tucker crampon points on my Sherpas work great on trail ice. I wore them until the trail was too bare to use anymore, and then made it down to the relatively flat valley floor before dark.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 11:17 pm 
Superb!! Love the frozen creek.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 5:27 pm 
Nice. Thanks for all of the photos and the excellent narrative Matt. Those tracks I was stepping over a couple weeks ago may have very well been made by your snowshoes. Well done. up.gif

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.