Forum Index > Trip Reports > Squak Recon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 5:22 pm 
For the pat three days I have checked out the trails on Squak for storm damage. The Trails I checked include portions of the Wast Access, Perimiter Loop and Phils Creek all of the Central Peak, Bullet Access, East Side, Cibinisky and Old Griz trails. I also checked the shortcuts between Forest Rim water tanks and East Side Road, East Side Road and Central Peak, Bullet Fireplace and Central Peak Trail, and the routes between Central Peak and the Bullet Fireplace and between Debbie's View and the Perimeter Loop. There were many branches across the trails most of which I removed. There are larger wind falls on the Chibinski trail and on the Central peak trail that may require cutting but can be evaded. There is substantial water damage to the Bullit Access trail between the Central Peak and Chibinski trail starts which is passable but will turn the trail into a gully in time.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 5:32 pm 
Why?

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 5:43 pm 
Cool beans, Mal, thanks. I love Squak Mtn.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 5:47 pm 
skimpyphud wrote:
Why?
Because the water has already carved the old road into about 3 channels each 8-12'' deep with water running down them.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
whitebark

whitebark
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 6:41 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
There is substantial water damage to the Bullitt Access trail between the Central Peak and Chibinski trail starts which is passable but will turn the trail into a gully in time.
Yup, that area on the Bullitt Access Trail (between East Side Tr and Chybisnki) is a trouble spot. Water erosion has made the trail look like a creek bed. In this spot the trail needs big drain dips cut into the old road surface to divert the persistent water flow. A lot of drainage work has been done in recent years on the Bullitt Access Trail, but this section has been neglected for some reason. I walked the Bullitt Access and Central Peak trails on Tuesday and did some quickie emergency repairs to get water flow off the trail.

Damian

Damian
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 11:24 pm 
And- After a phone call or two last week the County visited in person, and agreed to haul away the illegal garbage pile on the approach to the W Side trail. They also committed to extend the barrier to prevent vehicular access by garbage people. Thanks for the Recon MC. That mountain is sacred.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 3:24 pm 
Update: East Ridge has a couple windfalls that can be steped under or over. Summit Trail is fine. Connector to Sycamore Neighborhood is in good shape except fpr new house being built at trailhead. Squak Access has minor flood damage at the new pond just before East Ridge Start.