Forum Index > Trail Talk > rescue at Snoqualmie Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 pm 
There is an account of the hike if you are a member of the Meetup group. I joined to see what was being said on the message board. I see the group leader has prominently posted in no uncertain terms that this post can not be copied or posted elsewhere???? Is this a valid statement to prevent public information to be reposted? I think it serves many with the what for's and what if's in a survival situation. I see this as being a postive and yes many mistakes were made, but many were not. Learn and grow from this experience and share it with others. Hey, we all screw up if we don't learn from that then it makes it even worse trying to hide from the fact. To kick people off the group and to act as a tyrant doesn't do anyone any good.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 10:48 pm 
I take this to mean Chris's frostbite was a little more serious than he had hoped. frown.gif

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 11:06 pm 
Yes, I saw on the PCT-L (don't ask me how I started reading that, but it's addictive, especially when I've been laid low with a horrible cold) that he was going to lose a couple of toes. Argument for taking lots of dry socks and changing promptly when feet get wet!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 11:13 pm 
Same here, I signed up for the PCT feed and now I'm hooked. I'm even rethinking my long time dream of doing the full lenght of the PCT this year. I still don't think starting off with boots 2 sizes larger because your feet will swell is working for me!......smile.gif Poor Chris. He's lucky he's not ol no toes! Good thing he had "45 years" of outdoor experience to fall back on. Who knows what could have happened!...... hockeygrin.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 11:17 pm 
Growing up in Anchorage AK, us school kids had to watch gory frost bite movies. The image of a man's toes being sliced off one by one has stuck with me always.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Lono

Lono
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 11:21 pm 
If Mr. Cameron is really serious about protecting his trip report from non-members, maybe he shouldn't post it publicly - as in, where any non-member can access it. I'm not a member of the Seattle Meetup but can access this: http://files.meetup.com/232513/I%20have%20been%20back%20up%20to%20Deny%20Creek%20this%20week.doc Looks to me like he drew some good conclusions about things he wish he had / had more of in retrospect (food, food, clothing, good knives, sources of fire), though its questionable whether they could have fed a fire started with flares enough to make a difference. From earlier reports they were huddled in a tent, not in a snow/fire pit, and might have had some difficulty gathering enough fuel. Nothing though about getting trapped and what might have helped avoid that. But that's just idle speculation, the very thing he wants to avoid on nwhikers. Okay...

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 11:47 pm 
jimmymac wrote:
I take this to mean Chris's frostbite was a little more serious than he had hoped. frown.gif
Yowch. That's too bad. frown.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 11:48 pm 
Sad to see he's ragging on NWHikers. If he'd spend a little time here he might not have gotten himself and others into a situation that came very close to death. Someone might be happy with the grand adventure and losing some toes, but others might not be. He's writing a book, so I guess that's worth the experience. Maybe there's a movie in the works and it's all hush hush, so they don't want to divulge the secret plot. If you read the account of the hike there was something secret going on. Maybe a love triangle, alien abduction or a sasquatch helped them survive!....... lol.gif So women don't take knives hiking?.....Is this some kind of sexist statement? I bet Quark has a Rambo knife when she hikes. I know she sharpens her spork to a deathly edge...... hockeygrin.gif We don't speculate here only facts don't you know!......smile.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 28, 2008 11:56 pm 
My wymen always tote a shank hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Carie Yawn
Not dead yet

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 12:05 am 
Cameron wrote:
I have been back up to Deny Creek this week.
I won't Deny there's a problem, but it ain't in the spell checker.
Cameron wrote:
1) I will never own a down sleeping bag for use in the NW. All 3 of 4 bags got wet and were more of a detriment than any conceivable benefit. We were not idiots about getting them wet. It happened. If I owned a down bag I would throw it away, instead of risking giving it away and having someone use it and get cold because it is wet.
Blame the idjit, not the tool. Kinda like bringing tarptent or 3-season tent into a 4-season environment. (Wait, did they do that too? hockeygrin.gif ) Down definitely has its purpose and time for use. Synthetics might have been a better choice given the probability of precipitation, but down is a perfect choice for lightweight travel in the summer.
Cameron wrote:
5) Knives were used minimally but were used. I always do but think it is noteworthy to say bring a good knife……ALWAYS. Spend the $60.00 to $300.00 You will have it for the rest of your life. Or sit in the woods regretting not having the knife you should have had. I am going to be a little sexist but women are no exception.
Why would suggesting women bring a knife be sexist? And as far as knives go, you may think you'll have it for the rest of your life, but more likely you'll have it until you drop it between two rocks in a talus field, or leave it behind at a 5-minute rest stop. No way I'm dropping 3 bills on a knife that I'll eventually lose. For what it's worth, I don't bring a knife when I hike. (That's a man's job.)
Cameron wrote:
7) Gators win all around
As far as gators go, I've had plenty of friends who seemed equally exuberant about their Crocs.
Cameron wrote:
6) In addition to flairs bring at least 3 fire sources.
And as far as flair goes, I'd just like to point out that if 37 pieces is the minimum, we're suddenly up to 47 essentials.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 12:21 am 
Where do people spend $300 for a knife?....and if they did they are morons to take them hiking! Give me a good Buck or Gerber and that's stretching it on a hike for $50. Go spend $12 and buy a fold up pruning saw. You can do the same thing as a knife and cut wood 100 times better. Fire can be made at any time durring the winter. It's actually easier because you can reach the dead wood off the ground. Flares would be nice, but aren't required.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 12:31 am 
I can't wait for Cameron's movie
...though I understand that the "thing they can't talk about" is when, crazed with hunger, Cameron gnawed off his buddies toes.

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 12:46 am 
In the interest of more informed discussion, it looks like the first installment is here.
Cameron wrote:
This is copyrighted material 2008
That is *excellent* news indeed. up.gif (For what it's worth, hasn't Copyright been automatic since 1989?)
Cameron wrote:
We continued up the trail with varying amounts of snow from a few inches to a foot. For the first three miles the snow level didn’t change much and was mostly well traveled. We saw a few hikers some with and some without snowshoes. (We did not have snowshoes)
I wonder if this was an intentional action..? I wonder if they wished they had brought them along afterward? I wonder if it would have helped, given the conditions. From later descriptions, it sounds like it wouldn't have helped too much in the unconsolidated powder..?
Cameron wrote:
We started making our way down switchbacks in the heavily treed area cutting switchbacks and trying to make the trail as short as possible. We were all getting very tired at this point and I can only guess very cold feet for the two with no gaiters. Many times we did stop and consult with each other on where the trail was for sure. With 4 pairs of eyes we seemed to always find it.
This makes it sound like they were sticking to the summer trail, instead of the winter route, directly up the valley. Given the depth of the powder, it doesn't sound like the trail was giving them much of an advantage, does it?
Cameron wrote:
We were fortunate enough to have two trekking poles and an ice ax that Chris brought along.
Trekking poles are invaluable. I used to be an unbeliever, but you'll have to pry them out of my cold dead hands to get me to leave them at home now. Especially in snow.
Cameron wrote:
Three of our 4 phones were dead. Likely due to the batteries being drained from the cold.
Had they been left on and slowly died without notice, or turned off in their packs and simply drained from the intense cold? I always leave my cellphone off to conserve battery and only turn it on to call out. Would this have improved my chances of making a call out?
Cameron wrote:
We knew exactly where we were and figured it would be much easier for them to walk in with a few extra pairs of snow shoes and we could all walk out.
But where were they? It sounds like they'd dropped from Hemlock Pass into the valley and made it most or part of the way down the valley. So were they in the field above Snowshoe Falls? (And is that irony?) tongue.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 12:53 am 
I wish he would log in here and man up to what we are saying. He must think he's better than that. If anyone on here hasn't done something stupid in their hiking life then they haven't been hiking long. We all do, that's how we LEARN. I'm not sure why he insists on a knife either. I take a pen knife that's razor sharp to gut a trout if I have too. Works fine for shavings building a fire. I have a SOG multi tool that's way too heavy and I don't bother carrying most of the time. You women do need a knife in case a squirell or psycotic killer were to attack you in the middle of the night. NWH is a perfect example why you should carry a knife........ clown.gif

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet

Carie Yawn
Not dead yet
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 1:00 am 
Quark wrote:
GeoHiker wrote:
Sad to see he's ragging on NWHikers.
Can't blame him. We criticized him like crazy (I'm the biggest toad in the puddle). At least he has the grace not to log in and spray all over the place.
I'll have to go back and read (this is my first foray into the discussion), but did people really criticize him, or were they really looking for details of what had occured and/or how to avoid it in the future? I think I would have made different decisions regarding some gear I would have taken along, but it sounds like they made the best of what they had once they found themselves stuck in the situation. Truthfully, the biggest difference between them and me is that I'm not much for cold temps or inclement weather, so I probably wouldn't have even gone out there if there was a bad forecast. Even if weather was nice, there's no way I would have been out overnight...nights in winter are too long and too cold for these old bones. clown.gif