Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun Mar 09, 2008 3:03 pm 
One Geek Rider wrote:
If you ever hike with women, you might want to invest in a more expensive knife so that they can use it too. hockeygrin.gif
In his defense, he does hike with women. And we carry our own knives. moon.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gyngve

gyngve
PostSun Mar 09, 2008 5:03 pm 
actually i have been caught with a bigger knife on a hike w/women: (zoom into my right hand)

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Mar 09, 2008 6:13 pm 
Nice. up.gif Top of Snoqualmie, with Big Snow in the background?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSun Mar 09, 2008 8:00 pm 
great picture Gyngve lol.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
dgleighton
What the...

dgleighton
What the...
PostSun Mar 09, 2008 9:49 pm 
Jerm wrote:
Most BC skiers I know would never consider heading out in December, low snow or otherwise, without a transceiver, probe, shovel, and the knowledge of how to avoid avalanches and use their equipment. Period. Alpine skiers and boarders sometimes follow different rules, but pretty much everyone climbing/skinning for turns out there abides by this rule. I did not see this gear listed on the required gear list posted. As a climber, I have witnessed different attitudes toward avalanches. I think it comes from the fact that climbers are introduced to the sport in the summer, and generally don't encounter avalanche hazards unless they pursue bigger mountains. Even then, they are tied together, and some feel this is an adequate way to recover a buried partner. Still, many do not carry shovels when encountering snow, and many do not consider avalanches as teh biggest threat to their safety. They are focused on the climb, not the approach/descent.
I am a climber 1st and a skier not at all. All those that I climb with as well as myself have an understanding and awareness of avalanche hazard and carry appropriate gear. A skier is looking for the type of terrain that will slide. Not the conditions but the terrain, a steep slope to rip on. A good climber looks for the route that avoids it. A good climber also understands especially on a winter climb when conditions can be sketchy that the mountain will be there tomorrow or the next day. You can always go back. But not if you over stay your welcome. Ski away! Know that many that climb understand and consider that avalanche is a real and avoidable danger.

touron

touron
PostSun Mar 09, 2008 11:29 pm 
gyngve wrote:
actually i have been caught with a bigger knife on a hike w/women: (zoom into my right hand)
Now that is the way watermelon was meant to be eaten! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Mar 09, 2008 11:40 pm 
dgleighton wrote:
A good climber also understands especially on a winter climb when conditions can be sketchy that the mountain will be there tomorrow or the next day. You can always go back. But not if you over stay your welcome.
Who was it that said "It only counts if it's a round trip..."?
One Geek Rider wrote:
Cameron wrote:
6) In addition to flairs bring at least 3 fire sources.
And as far as flair goes, I'd just like to point out that if 37 pieces is the minimum, we're suddenly up to 47 essentials.
I will note that though Gary did have a knife, he wasn't wearing his flair... winksmile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Mar 10, 2008 12:55 am 
dayhike mike wrote:
gyngve wrote:
Top of Snoqualmie, with Big Snow in the background?
I agree about Big Snow in the back to the left, but that looks like Snoqualmie to the right. I reckon this was taken from The Tooth. gyngve??

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Mar 10, 2008 1:01 am 
Puzzlr: Aha! So it is. I do believe you're right! smile.gif

AFrants

AFrants
PostSat Oct 03, 2009 7:45 am 
SlowWalker wrote:
Quote:
We just couldn't make it out without snowshoes.
Survivorman would have made a pair of snowshoes from branches and shoestrings. I'm just sayin...
LOL smile.gif