Forum Index > Trail Talk > You're a Wimp! so lighten up your pack load
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 10:56 am 
OK, I'm ready for the heat. Based on some of the comments made on this forum about going "light," or even "lighter," I know that this can be a personal or controversial subject. I do not disdainfully look at heavily laden hikers with a smirk on my face....usually I'm thinking something akin to, "boy, I don't think I could lug that load up this hill in this heat." In this Podcast I'm simply voicing my opinion based on MY experience about the benefits of lightening up your backpacking load, always subject to conditions and time of year of course. I think it's especially important for the over 40 crowd as the body is less able to take the beating from carrying a heavy pack. That said, this Podcast is obviously closet-sponsored by Gossamer Gear, as I refer to the GG gear that I am using. However, the cottage industry in this country is robust and I point out the links page on GGs website that takes one to great information and other companies manufacturing fine gear here in the US. I recorded this during my wonderland trail hike, always moving and trying to get interesting backgrounds in the shots. I'll probably edit it down some more as I can only take so much of me talking. You have the ultimate edit ability; if you don't agree with me or think I'm ugly, then simply shut it off. Unless someone has a specific question, I'll probably not reply to differing views and leave the discussion amongst other members if they so choose. You're a Wimp! lighten your pack load from Steve Burgess on Vimeo.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 11:19 am 
I have to agree with most of what was stated. However, i believe ultralight gear like Gossamer Gear will remain a cottage industry. For large commercial company in order to make money, have to appeal to a wide range of consumers, hence lots of bells an whistles which = lots of weight. I have seen lots of 4+ pound expensive mountaineering tents pitched 35 feet from the car, when a cheep one from wally world would be fine. There's lots of gear junkies out there with a fist full of cash willing to spend money on that kind of stuff, so retailers stock it.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 11:53 am 
Enjoyed the podcast. It has a lot of good points. I am 100% on board the go light trend. Not as a religion or ideology but as a practical matter. My back and knees are getting older And I need to lighten up. With food, fuel and water I can always come in under 25 lbs, and usually a little less. However, I am starting to rethink the tent issue. Specifically, you can get a good freestanding double walled tent now at around 3 pounds. The best feature of freestanding tents is that if you get caught in a down pour you can retreat to the shelter of trees or a rock overhang, completely set the tent up and carry it out like a cupcake, plop it down and be dry. Can't do that with a tarp shelter that requires trekking poles, guy lines and lots of stake-out points.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 11:57 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
I have seen lots of 4+ pound expensive mountaineering tents pitched 35 feet from the car, when a cheep one from wally world would be fine.
Not that unusual, I have done that when I want an early start the next day. Also cheap tents leak. Now I usually carry a cheapie in the car so I do not have to schlep a wet tent the next day. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 12:01 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
The best feature of freestanding tents is that if you get caught in a down pour you can retreat to the shelter of trees or a rock overhang, completely set the tent up and carry it out like a cupcake, plop it down and be dry. Can't do that with a tarp shelter that requires trekking poles, guy lines and lots of stake-out points.
True, but it's all a matter of compromise. You accept another 2 pounds in your pack just in case you get caught in a downpour to be able to set up a freestanding tent. I might put on some rain gear and hang for awhile under shelter or keep hiking, less the 2 pounds. Tarptent has a 32 oz. freestanding tent if you use your poles..... http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Traildad

Traildad
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 12:19 pm 
Nicely done Steve. Apart from the content, which I generally agree with, I am intrigued with a couple of things. 1) How did you manage to keep the camera so stable on your face while hiking? Not sure I could do that. 2) And what is that cool gray and black skullcap hat? I think I need one of those up.gif

Life is short so live it well.
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 12:28 pm 
Traildad wrote:
1) How did you manage to keep the camera so stable on your face while hiking? Not sure I could do that. 2) And what is that cool gray and black skullcap hat? I think I need one of those up.gif
Because I have such big ears and big nose, the camera can't help but stay focused on my head. Actually, your arm holding the camera moves with your body. The skullcap is from Halo running gear. Probably buy them in any running shop and REI. Here's the link: http://store.haloheadband.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 12:40 pm 
williswall wrote:
Tarptent has a 32 oz. freestanding tent if you use your poles
I am currently using a 13 oz. Six Moons "Wild Oasis". Several times since I got it I have found myself on a trip where I wanted to use my pole on a day hike but leave the shelter set-up also.. Admittedly a small issue but kind or annoying never the less.
Camp
Camp

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 4:32 pm 
240J:
Quote:
In the end, you carry your stuff and you get out. That is what matters.
Right on my brae. Gear obsession often leads to questions like: If I take my new $600 Vokl skis out today one of them might get dinged. I best stay inside and not use them at all. Same with weight. My god, I carry 6 UL tents under my bellybutton everyday! Plus think of the old school folk: the Bedal sisters, Beckey, the Monte Cristo miners. They had crap gear and could hike our asses flat into the ground like mushed mushrooms! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Tom

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 5:31 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
240J:
Quote:
In the end, you carry your stuff and you get out. That is what matters.
Right on my brae. Gear obsession often leads to questions like: If I take my new $600 Vokl skis out today one of them might get dinged. I best stay inside and not use them at all. ...snip... Tom
That's funny. Sounds like a bad case of OCD to me! The bases on my $600 Volkls look like abstract art from all the black Ptex that's been used to fill the gouges in the original white bases.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 5:55 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
Plus think of the old school folk: the Bedal sisters, Beckey, the Monte Cristo miners. They had crap gear and could hike our asses flat into the ground like mushed mushrooms! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Sure, but I'd rather be hiking into old age and not destroy my body with crap gear. And I bet the proportion of folks who could hike back then was much smaller than it is now. Not to mention that, unlike some of the people you mention, most people backpack for recreational purposes. It has been my experience that if they're loaded down with immense loads, they're less likely to do it more often or enjoy it as much. I don't really own any expensive UL gear, though if I had more money I might be tempted by a couple of things (not packs though, most UL packs are too minimalist for my purposes).

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
AR

AR
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 6:57 pm 
Wow, that must have been a great hike. Thanks for sharing "williswall". up.gif I generally side for more comfort, greater weight (I prefer anaerobic at any rate), and less mileage if need be. I need to get some of those Pack-Lama’s. dizzy.gif

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 12:56 am 
Very cool video, thanks. I am in the process of "going lite", being fairly new to hiking, I appreciate info such as this. I just ordered a new Granite gear vapor trail 3600 ci backpack because of info I found on this site. Even though it is not ultra-light at 2lbs 4 oz., it weighs half what my original pack did. I decided to go with the vapor trail because I read here that the ultra-light packs lack stability, support, and durability. So I chose a middle ground. Hope I made a good choice. Next on the list, a good down bag.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backcountry

Backcountry
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 6:14 am 
williswall- Do you think that some of the discomfort that people experience with the ultralight packs is that they are still trying to carry too much weight in them? Or do you think that this may fall into your thoughts along the lines of just suck it up with a little discomfort on the trail thing? I really enjoyed your podcast! Interesting perspective and thoughts shared- thank you!

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 8:19 am 
Backcountry wrote:
williswall- Do you think that some of the discomfort that people experience with the ultralight packs is that they are still trying to carry too much weight in them? Or do you think that this may fall into your thoughts along the lines of just suck it up with a little discomfort on the trail thing?
Depends on what you mean. My lighter packs still have hip belts with carbon fiber or aluminum stays and comfortable shoulder straps. I wouldn't have any problem carrying, say, a lot more water weight. I still have a Wild Things climbing pack, minimalist, that would kill my shoulders at the end of a 2 day climb as all the weight rests squarely on the shoulders with no real relief through the hip belt. In this case I can see where carrying over 20 pounds in a basic rucksack style pack would cause some discomfort. I still use a Granite Gear Vapor Trail if I'm carrying my heavy tripod and/or say, winter gear. Think of skiing and having a "quiver." I've never had more than one pair of skis, so I had to compromise with skis that were more "all mountain" and could handle moguls or deep powder. I'd love to have a pure powder ski...I watched a buddy literally planing atop deep powder in a pair of Pontoons as I was sinking much deeper and doing a lot more work. I guess the same goes for packs....one has to look at what the majority of their packing will be and target a pack for those conditions. When I talk about "sucking it up" I'm referring to a mindset. Sure, it would be great to have a folding chair to sit on during a long hike; sure, it would be great to have a huge cookset to make gourmet meals; sure, it would be great to have a solar shower. I just choose to leave these things out and compromise. I find appropriate logs or rocks to sit on. I eat my favorite cold foods or extremely easy cooking foods, usually something where I just pour the hot water in the container. I wash in cold mountain creeks (with no soap). The benefits for me far outweigh the small discomforts in that I never notice that I'm carrying a pack. I can scramble, I can run, I can jump over rocks, and it never seems that I have to take my pack into consideration when I'm moving. For me, this is the ultimate payback and well worth the small inconveniences and discomforts of not bringing stuff. Stuff costs: purchase price, increased wear and tear on the body, pack room, pack weight, more food to carry it, longer pack-up time in the AM, longer set-up time in the PM, more storage space at home, perhaps more cleaning duties....the list goes on. It's truly up to the individual as to where they want to make the compromises, and what they consider essential. My purpose for making this Podcast is simply to make people aware that there are alternatives to the "big houses" and to do their own research before they commit to buying stuff.