Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Dosewallips Road Washout Project DEIS
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat May 17, 2008 1:18 pm 
Thanks for the continued fact finding gentlemen. This westsider puts greater value on what the penninsulites think. I can't wait for the word to come down that they will reopen this road.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostSun May 18, 2008 12:51 pm 
I still don't know what the process was for WTA to come to the decision to oppose reopening the Dosewallips River Road. It might be posted somewhere but I have not been able to find it. What I mean by this is I don't know if it was decided by one person or a vote of the staff or a vote of the board of directors. I did notice however that one member of the WTA board of directors is also chair of Olympic Forest Coalition and vice president of Olympic Park Associates and I believe both organizations are opposed to reopening the road.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
BradS

BradS
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 10:18 pm 
Boring or Not?
RodF, last year you said the following: The washout itself isn't the deterrent, it's the rather boring 5-1/2 mile hike up a gravel road on a hillside that is the deterrent In your latest post you now state: Far from being a barren road-hike, a walk up the Dosewallips is lovely, studded with old growth trees and laced with waterfalls and streams.

ScottM

ScottM
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 11:04 pm 
BradS wrote:
Far from being a barren road-hike, a walk up the Dosewallips is lovely, studded with old growth trees and laced with waterfalls and streams.
I believe this was a quote from the WTA web site but somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

RodF

RodF
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 11:50 pm 
Brad, as Scott noted, the latter quotes the WTA (link provided), not me. There are many unanswered questions about WTA's advocacy position... it is not clear what WTA is advocating be done, how, nor why. But others shall have to ask them, as Elizabeth phoned to inform me "You are dis-invited from this hike, Rod." Apparently they don't wish to "discuss the issues surrounding this challenging issue" with anyone challenging their issues? Ah, children! rolleyes.gif However, it appears from both what is in the DEIS, and what is not (on several levels; its a unique DEIS compared to those for similar projects), that this is all rather moot: the road shall be reopened. It is only sad that the USFS was ever placed in this unfair "Catch-22" situation: nothing they could do that was possible, from either a legal or engineering perspective, would satisfy their opposition. They have no choice but to put their head down and push on through.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 12, 2008 10:52 am 
Interesting string on this over at CC huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Jul 19, 2008 2:51 pm 
I would love to hike the trials up there but can not because my SO is too old and feeble to backpack that far and my youngest is too little to go that far. I might be able to get my tribe to go to Elkhorn but getting them the 5.5 miles to the National Park is just not gonna happen. I've done the road hike about 3 times now. I carried my then 8 month old on my back all the way. I've never been able to hike and of the actual trails updo here though.. with Staircase closed every winter and the wild life gates shut on the Sout Fork of the Skok and Dosewallups closed forever I really don't have much in the way of hiking options over here in the winter. So last winter I just gave up and started walking down logging roads that are close to home. Not goign to drive up there to walk down a logging road too much gas and the road (what is left of it) is bad enough that I don't want to take my little car there. I hope the road gets fixed before my SO dies so I can at least show him the waterfalls..

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 10:44 am 
What will happen to all the carbon locked up in the wood of those buildings if they are torn town? Is there more or less carbon in those structures (or carbon released to make them) then there is in the few second growth trees they want to cut to make the road?

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Aug 30, 2008 4:10 pm 
iron

iron
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 pm 
so please clue me in: what happened in the past 2 years since this thread died?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 9:28 pm 
iron wrote:
what happened in the past 2 years since this thread died?
A final EIS was written, which is supposed to be released next month. From that, Dale Hom will issue a Final Decision Notice. ONF came to the realization that they do not have adequate funding for the project, be it Alternative B or C ( restoring road access via a re-route ). ERFO money would have paid to put the road back in place in its original location ( alongside the river ), but that plan was pulled off the table after it became clear there were too many objections, the one having the greatest impact being the statement from NMFS. None of the organizations or groups objecting to restoring vehicle access into the area offered forth any viable alternatives. The few members here on nwhikers who are interested in Stewardship issues either lost interest or ran out of things to say. Most every relevant point has been discussed/argued/beaten to death in this and in the previous Dosewallips Road thread. My guess is that the developed facilities at the ONF and ONP campgrounds upstream from the washout deteriorated a bit more, ultimately adding exponentially to the overall cost of restoring access into the area. The issue has now polarized part of the membership here, and caused WTA and some other local groups/organizations to make new enemies. ( Please note that I do not mention their names or the acronyms for their names, as calling them by name empowers them. Leaving them nameless expedites the process of allowing them to disappear into the irrelevant and obscure background where they belong. ) The issue of road decommissionings and the costs involved seems to have garnered a bit more attention from members here, as the "let's close all the roads" juggernaut gathers more steam and targets the favorite roads of more members here in more popular areas, instead of just the former "who cares?" roads down in the South Cascades or out on the Olympic Peninsula that were only used by berry pickers and hunters. edit ... and the computer I was promised two years ago has yet to materialize, which is why you haven't seen any photos or trip reports from me for the last two years.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 10:31 pm 
RodF wrote:
ONF was supposed to issue the final EIS last spring... didn't, could be anytime now... then decision 3 months after.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Nov 18, 2010 11:43 am 
The Olympic National Forest, in cooperation with the Olympic National Park, has completed the Dosewallips Road Washout Project Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS). Link I have not had time to read through it yet. I think there is supposed to be a comment period also. I will have to read through it later. Link to article in the Kitsap Sun.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Nov 18, 2010 12:40 pm 
Magellan wrote:
WTA restates their position rolleyes.gif
That is the most ridiculous "position" I have ever read. It's nonsense like this that keeps me from joining this otherwise good organization. To sum up their position, they hate everything. They don't like any option of doing anything, and they don't even like the option of doing nothing. They bring up complete red herrings like we should stop focusing on this one valley for hiker access and look at other valleys. Huh? You want a comprehensive plan, go draft one, this is about the Dosewallips. How can an organization be for trails but be against the road that gets us to the trail head? The WTA should change its name to reflect its mission as some sort of environmental organization, which it puts ahead of hiking advocacy, at least in their lobbying efforts. Or maybe they need to split the organization into two, one to fix trails, and the other to try to deny access to those same trails. huh.gif I hope they fix the road, and for selfish reasons: I want to be able to go to Anderson glacier on a three-day BP trip. With the road I can, without it I cannot.

iron

iron
PostThu Nov 18, 2010 5:48 pm 
Quote:
Kitsap Sun Biologists with the National Marine Fisheries Service said erosion from the steep bank alongside the washed-out road is restoring gravel to the river channel, which improves spawning habitat for chinook and other salmon
WTF!!!!!!!!! isn't this the argument FOR decommissioning and removal of roads - to reduce erosion and sedimentation? how do we call BS to someone that matters???