Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Dosewallips Road Washout Project DEIS
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostThu Nov 18, 2010 6:14 pm 
reststep wrote:
What I mean by this is I don't know if it was decided by one person or a vote of the staff or a vote of the board of directors.
From my experience, it is usually one person. they ram it down everyone else's throat, or the others done care enough to argue.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 19, 2010 12:37 am 
iron wrote:
WTF!!!!!!!!! isn't this the argument FOR decommissioning and removal of roads - to reduce erosion and sedimentation? how do we call BS to someone that matters???
thank you. I've tried to point out that naturally-occuring catastrophic streambank failures have been happening for thousands of years with no apparent detriment to salmonid habitat, but it seems at times to fall on deaf ears. smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 10:53 pm 
Anyone know when the ROD will be published? --- Excerpt from the January Mountaineer's magazine: The [Final Environmental Impact Statement] presents three action alternatives to restore motor vehicle access. Two of these are to build a bypass road .... and the third is to construct a bridge .... along the old road alignment. The Forest Service will publish a Record of Decision (ROD) choosing one of these alternatives. The Mountaineers Conservation Division and Recreational Access Committee have studied this problem, participated in the discussions of the various proposals and have commented extensively at every opportunity. Now what should The Mountaineers' response be when the ROD is published? Join the discussion at the upcoming Dosewallips Access Forum on Wed., January 26 from 7-9pm at the Kitsap Cabin. Members are encouraged to submit comments or RSVPs for the forum to Sarah Krueger, Mountaineers Conservation Manager. The FEIS can be found on the Olympic National Forest website.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 11:11 pm 
I didn't see an option for a road on the south side of the river. There used to be one that goes up to the bridge just before elkhorn campground. It is overgrown with at least one small washout, but the road grade is still there.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jan 04, 2011 3:34 pm 
There was an amendment to the FEIS regarding the new Forest Plan which comment period ended on Monday. I don't think there's a timeline for ROD's to be signed, is there? This is both NF and NPS, so it'll likely be a while...? I know the Whitechuck ROD took several months because there were internal back and forth's regarding the final alternative that was eventually chosen. What's the Mountaineers meeting about? A response after the ROD is signed?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jan 04, 2011 3:35 pm 
Apparently. I don't have any details beyond what was in the article.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostTue Jan 04, 2011 7:52 pm 
onemoremile wrote:
I didn't see an option for a road on the south side of the river. There used to be one that goes up to the bridge just before elkhorn campground. It is overgrown with at least one small washout, but the road grade is still there.
Essentially, ONF decided it would be too much of a problem to connect the two roads. The Brothers Wilderness goes all the way down to the river between the bridge and road up stream of the washout and the roads down stream of the washout on the south side of the river. ONF would need to have Congress vote to change the boundary of The Brothers Wilderness so that a road could be built to connect the two roads. If I remember correctly ONF determined that it would be unlikely that Congress would make any changes to the wilderness boundary. Dose FEIS final. I don't remember where it is in the FEIS, but ONF lists all the options that they had come up with and one was in regards to connecting the two roads and listed the reason why they didn't go through with it. Their reason pretty much summed up what I said above and I was going off my memory of what I read in the FEIS a couple of months ago. Dosewallips FEIS release letter. Alternate C is preferred. I read somewhere that ONF plans to rebuild the road, but at the present moment its held up because ONF does not have the funding at the moment to proceed with the rebuilding of the road. edit: "Southern Road" alternative listed on page 38 on the following link to a PDF of part of the FEIS. Dosewallips Road Alternatives

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostTue Jan 04, 2011 11:08 pm 
Thanks Olympic Hiker. I wasn't sure if that road was actually in The Brothers or skirted it. If in it, agree, they probably couldn't because of the wilderness designation. The washout has been eroding nicely for fish during the meantime.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jan 13, 2011 11:38 am 
Jan 13 2011 OK I just talked to Mr. Tim Davis at ONF. Mr. Davis said they're now casting for funding sources, and as a result of the various meetings, several issues have come up (some sources want to do X, not Y, and other sources have different policies regarding X vs. Y). After a funding source is found,* the ROD will be signed. After the signed ROD is published, there is a 45-day period for anyone wishing to appeal the decision (appeals are limited to those people or entities who commented). Mr. Davis indicated that in the case of the Dose, it is reasonable to expect at least one appeal. No surprise there. If the decision is appealed, it could delay the process for several months. (and damn the luck, probably once the appeal is won, the funding source award deadline will have expired, and they'll have to re-apply hmmm.gif ) *I personally don't expect them to find a funding source anytime soon, but hopefully I'm wrong. The Suiattle funding was cloudy for a long time, and that wasn't nearly as environmentally controversial as the Dose

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Jan 13, 2011 8:13 pm 
Quark wrote:
(and damn the luck, probably once the appeal is won, the funding source award deadline will have expired, and they'll have to re-apply hmmm.gif )
Luck?! More like the desired results of artfully timed obstruction.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 4:09 pm 
WTH? twelve years later, still no fix? Kim, as I said in the email, last time I spoke with Davis (several years ago) my understanding was that the only thing holding this up was lack of money. Today I'm getting a completely different answer. Or, to be more accurate, a total non answer- just a lot of vague ambiguous runaround stuff.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 9:00 pm 
WTA's official stance on the Dose rebuild is now no stance. At least it was last time I checked.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 9:20 pm 
WTA supports reopening the Dose. Read about it here: www.wta.org/action/road-access-to-trails.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 9:27 pm 
Thanks Andrea. It's nice to know that in this case, their readers/followers/volunteers opinions were listened to.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 am 
Hesman wrote:
I remember that WTA was adamant about not reopening the Dosewallips and I was just reading the other day that WTA is gung-ho about reopening the Suiattle River Road. Go figure. I guess that reopening the Suiattle River Road is more important to WTA than reopening the Dosewallips.
This just means WTA is a thinking organization, not zealots with a blanket policy. The fact that WTA changed positions on this issue twice means they don't have blinders on, and take a fresh look at projects as new issues arise.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert