Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > There are too many people.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostSat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm 
This is the heart of all of our environmental problems. More people means more pressure on pretty much every kind of resource. More pollution, more greenhouse gas, more demand for water, etc. I don't know how people are going to solve this one. It'll solve itself if we don't, but nobody wants that.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 22, 2014 7:01 pm 
ehhhh.... don't worry about it. the population will not exceed the carrying capacity of the planet in your lifetime. (didn't I just read somewhere this last week that the earth's population is going to double in 50 years?) never been one to believe that this is the first age of man on this planet. too many weird things which cannot be explained (James Churchward's lost continent of Mu, the Sphinx at Giza, Göbekli Tepe, etc.) just like rabbits and lemmings, when the population reaches critical mass, the cosmos will toss something at us like another round of bubonic plague or smallpox or some such thing and we can start all over. don't worry. be happy.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 22, 2014 7:12 pm 
Oh brother! There were scientists in the 60-70's indicating end of the world predictions by the year 2000. Lack of food. Lack of water. Etc etc etc. Please. You could put every human in the planet if distributed in 6 bedroom homes inside the state of Texas! THE WORLD ISNT OVER POPULATED!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostSat Mar 22, 2014 7:39 pm 
It is difficult to tell if anything about the previous two posts was at all serious.

sten

sten
PostSat Mar 22, 2014 7:51 pm 
Or maybe it's about how heavily you live on the land. You could have a mess load of people, and if they all decided to live lightly, that could be ok. Or if you had a few people who lived large and consumptive life styles they'd take the same or more resources. I think we can all make choices that would downsize our footprints. But it is very easy not to. And then just talk population.

mike

mike
PostSat Mar 22, 2014 8:25 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
... put every human in the planet... inside the state of Texas!
All in favor? Aye! up.gif

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostSat Mar 22, 2014 8:54 pm 
sten wrote:
Or maybe it's about how heavily you live on the land. You could have a mess load of people, and if they all decided to live lightly, that could be ok. Or if you had a few people who lived large and consumptive life styles they'd take the same or more resources. I think we can all make choices that would downsize our footprints. But it is very easy not to. And then just talk population.
Individuals make choices that affect how heavily they live upon the land. I do a lot of small things: no children, very little meat, don't fly, don't consume too much except fresh produce, CFLs, wear a sweater and a hat at home and leave the heat down. Most of this is just cheaper, too. But very many people choose a new car and TV every few years. It's just human nature, people want a better standard of living in ways that matter to them. One individual lowering their footprint in a world of 7 billion doesn't make a lot of difference. With a much smaller population our lifestyles could be sustained much longer. China and especially India are growing economically. 2 billion people eventually joining the middle class unfortunately has the consequence of lots more pollution. There are just too many people.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 22, 2014 9:30 pm 
MCL wrote:
It is difficult to tell if anything about the previous two posts was at all serious
mmmm..... yeah okay... but I honestly think another polar shift is probably more likely than world-wide plague or pandemic... but my grandmother died of the flu in 1918 (along with an estimated 50-100 million others), so you just never know. what part of it wasn't serious? okay, Churchward was a little bit over the edge, but nobody else has come up with any better explanations for those big squared stone slabs on the sea floor. tell me though... how did they carve that funny looking alligator out there on the Anatolian plateau? with bamboo? their fingernails? ahhh.... I know: you're gonna tell me it was aliens, right? smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Relax

Relax
PostSat Mar 22, 2014 10:32 pm 
Even if 99% of humanity are morons, all it takes is that 1% to show the other 99% morons how to do something. Even a moron can pick up a skill when they are humiliated and have their idiocy, stubbornness, and pride shoved into the mud. Later things like giant wars, compounded by famine, a very common occurrence in the pre modern age and even in the modern age as well, said skills are lost.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Mar 22, 2014 11:36 pm 
Ski wrote:
just like rabbits and lemmings, when the population reaches critical mass, the cosmos will toss something at us like another round of bubonic plague or smallpox or some such thing and we can start all over.
Lets see........ A world where every couple is limited to two kids who grow up healthy, in a clean world, with plenty of money, a good school with small class sizes, and who look forward to a bright future of expanding possibilities, or....... A world where everyone can have as many children as they want, who grow up poor in an increasingly toxic world and who go to an overcrowded school before eventually dying of plague or starvation. Which world do you want to live in? Population control is necessary to our survival as a sentient race; nothing can be accomplished if our society crumbles every thousand years! Humans need to prove that they are as intelligent as they seem to think!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 23, 2014 12:02 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Humans need to prove that they are as intelligent as they seem to think!
They are not...and in my experience the people who are least responsible to have children, have children (and too many at that) whereas many responsible people don't have children at all. I also have seen many irresponsible people having too many pets. Not sure if "population control" and limiting the amount of children someone can have is a good idea, too much like Communism imho. One of those things that sounds good on paper and makes logical sense, but is not realistic.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Mar 23, 2014 12:19 am 

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Mar 23, 2014 12:46 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Humans need to prove that they are as intelligent as they seem to think!
They are not...and in my experience the people who are least responsible to have children, have children (and too many at that) whereas many responsible people don't have children at all.
I tend to hold a low view of humanities overall intelligence myself! However I still harbor a small hope that even though everyone acts dumb, we still have the capacity to behave in a manor befitting a sentient race. A major roadblock in the path towards a smaller, more sustainable population is as you say: that responsible people have few children (or none at all), and irresponsible people have many, and therefore there will always be fewer responsible people than irresponsible people. That is why we must implement laws restricting how many children people can have. It is not communism, which is defined as:
Quote:
a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state.
Though some countries that call themselves communist have laws limiting population growth, it is not necessarily because they are communists.
Chief Joseph wrote:
One of those things that sounds good on paper and makes logical sense, but is not realistic.
It is very realistic, but the implementation of population controls would require a number of very brave politicians to put their careers on the line, and courage is not exactly the defining trait of politicians!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
sten

sten
PostSun Mar 23, 2014 7:47 am 
Why do we get to legislating number of children first, rather than legislating other things affecting the size of the carbon footprint ?

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostSun Mar 23, 2014 9:01 am 
MadCapLaughs wrote:
It is difficult to tell if anything about the previous two posts was at all serious.
The first two replies are the result of legalized marijuana in Washington state.