Forum Index > Trip Reports > Heather Lake (Mtn Loop Hwy) 12-7-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 5:21 pm 
Took a day off work to enjoy a sunny day on the trail. Unfortunately, I went to the wrong trail. All fog, no sun. Did manage to reach the lake this time, but couldn't see anything.
Enjoyed the small stuff and saw an owl flying around.
No snow at the TH... no snow on the trail until you are about 10 minutes from the lake. About 6-10 inches, icy-topped snow at the lake. Had Stabilicers and snow shoes, didn't use either. I guess that makes this an Endurance trip. Mt. Pilchuck gate is still open, even though the FS website indicates the gate would close on 12/1. Pilchuck road has a new entrance, nicely paved, with a house right on the Mtn Loop Highway. How is it that people can build houses out there? confused.gif
No one else was on the trail today. Nice and quiet. up.gif Edit: If anyone happens to find a black Nextel phone at the lake
...this undated sign was hanging on the registration box. It's not mine.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 5:26 pm 
Quote:
Had Stabilicers and snow shoes, didn't use either.
But did you have clamps? I was wondering about the turnoff from the Mountain Loop. It looked to me like it was being redone when I last drove by there.

Knows literally nothing
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 5:50 pm 
Liar. That owl's not flying around, he's just sitting there. IMG_0695 is a bodacious photo. Damn, the moss is glowing!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 5:56 pm 
Remarkable that you could get so near lake before walking on snow/ice. North facing and forest chilled....amazing! Similarly, the photos. I like the shot with spider web and dew droplets. Superb.

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 9:59 pm 
Thanks everyone. GeoTom - It appears (based on current signage) that the current construction is actually to stabilize or reinforce the bridge footing/support. I expect they proactively rerouted the Pilchuck road because of the disappearing bank along the river and took the efficiency of doing both projects at the same time. At least, that's my common sense, logical explanation. It may be no where near the truth. Quark... I thought of you numerous times on the trail today. So many big - no, HUGE stumps in the area. I wouldn't have been surprised at all to see your feet sticking out of them up in the air. lol.gif Don't take that the wrong way. winksmile.gif

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 11:45 pm 
Your photos look remarkably like the time I was there a few years ago. Brings back memories... You were so lucky to see an owl. I'm happy for you that you got out today. I thought about you - I was hoping to go hiking today, on my birthday, since Gabriel didn't have school, but it was not meant to be. Heather Lake is one of my fondest memories. I think it just has a neat atmosphere.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com