Forum Index > Trip Reports > 12-04-07 Wilderness and Long View Peaks (Cougar Mt)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue Dec 04, 2007 8:02 pm 
After stopping at the strip mall located REI store in Issaquah I was off to SR 900 and the Wilderness Creek TH. There was one other car when I got there and 900 was "pretty" quiet.
Sign at trailhead
Sign at trailhead
I started up the Wilderness Creek Trail "E6" and followed along the creek. There were many little trickles of water crossing the trail looking for the creek to travel on. After a short bit the sounds of the road were gone and left me with the sounds of the creek rushing down the mountain.
Wilderness Creek
Wilderness Creek
Wilderness Creek
Wilderness Creek
I left the creek in favor of the Wilderness Cliff Trail "E5"
Sign
Sign
and upward to Wilderness Peak. Further up the rains started and were steady for about 20 minutes until the sun started to peak out as I neared the summit. Once up top I noticed a register
Register at the Wilderness Peak summit.
Register at the Wilderness Peak summit.
I signed it and took the Wilderness Peak Trail "E4" to Shy Bear Pass. The sunshine was becoming more common and made the forest glisten with the recent rain.
Sun peaking through the clouds
Sun peaking through the clouds
At the pass it was only a short hop to Long View Peak on trail "S4"
Shy Bear Pass
Shy Bear Pass
At the peak viewpoint the winds started to increase and I took the opportunity to dry the inside of my rain coat which seems to absorb the rain shakehead.gif After 10 minutes I headed to the pass and back down the Wilderness Creek Trail "E6" to the trailhead.
Limbo under the tree
Limbo under the tree
Pathway around big boulders along the Wilderness Creek Trail
Pathway around big boulders along the Wilderness Creek Trail
Creek crossing on Wilderness Creek Trail
Creek crossing on Wilderness Creek Trail
In all about a 2 hour hike and 1200' gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Dec 04, 2007 11:53 pm 
I can't believe you didn't spend hours in that register, eventually locating my name from early this year. shakehead.gif

hysteresis

hysteresis
PostWed Dec 05, 2007 2:16 pm 
wow!
aww... that was my first hike last march! suuure.gif man I can't wait for summer...

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Dec 05, 2007 8:25 pm 
Cougar Mountain Park
Ah, Wilderness! Shy Bear Pass is a favorite place. continue on toward Far Country for some nice woodland walking. Anyone get photos of Coal Creek Falls during this rain event or shortly after? The first hundred yards or so of Wilderness Peak Trail displays the first trilliums of spring, few in number but most welcome.

fettster

fettster
PostWed Dec 05, 2007 11:09 pm 
Magellan wrote:
I can't believe you didn't spend hours in that register, eventually locating my name from early this year. shakehead.gif
And I'm glad you didn't spend hours looking for mine. Nice trip outdoors. Bryan, what's the story on "Red Town" in the trail sign? Don't think I've seen "town" on a trail sign before.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 12:21 am 
fettster wrote:
Bryan, what's the story on "Red Town" in the trail sign? Don't think I've seen "town" on a trail sign before.
The "Red Town Trailhead" is located at the hairpin curve where Lakemont Blvd meets Newcastle Coal Creek Road. There is a trail there that passes by the Red Town dam site. Here is a link that briefly mentions Red Town.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 7:11 pm 
Ghost Town Web site
Most interesting. However, more information could be added, i.e., the locomotive turntable at Monte Cristo and the "road" to Glacier Basin and the mines there; ref. to the RR and Everet and the remnant tunnels of Robe Canyon. Years ago I went to "Red Town" fairly frequently to see in interesting "ruins"; there was not much. The Red Town parking area offers trail routes to various places and loops. One is interesting and short...to the old ball field, now restored to native species with a "trail"...sort of an interpretive trail through the field. There is a nice interpretive sign there, too. There is an old horse watering trough not far before you reach the "field". Resident coyotes are about; bears can be seen or sensed in early summer; I have heard a cougar scream...and was told by several parties that they had seen the creature (this, several years ago). Most awesome is to realize that nearly all of Cougar was urbanized, then abandoned and returned to "nature". The place has ghosts everywhere. I think Cougar is best in winter and early - mid-spring. When winter sun is near setting, it illuminates the alders in a way hard to describe. When walking there, you may see remains of items like cables, electric power poles, etc. Sure wish the county had seen the area around the Park as a green belt - buffer and not allowed the development, some of which seems to creep deep into the parklands. Not long ago you might hear distant city noise, but it never seemed close; that is now different with house construction and new residents making the usual, citified noise.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 9:30 pm 
Sabahsboy wrote:
Most interesting. However, more information could be added, i.e., the locomotive turntable at Monte Cristo and the "road" to Glacier Basin and the mines there; ref. to the RR and Everet and the remnant tunnels of Robe Canyon.
??????????? I obviously missed something...in a string about Cougar mtn. I agree that Cougar is a good Winter and "antsy to clock some miles" Early Spring area. We have put together a couple of 10-12 mile loops, creatively hitting the perimeter and weaving together the trails. It is possible. Feels sorta funny setup for a day pack in the rain and cold and see the joggers come and go wearing tiny shorts and tank tops and running shoes, and counting on luck that they don't get hurt and stuck for more than a minute before going into hypothermia. But then we remember that most are usually only hitting it for a mile or two.

friluftsliv
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 11:13 pm 
Cougar's joggers
Biggest gripe....the joggers with loose Labs and such. Since I hike with my pups on lead (per LAW), the sudden appearance (usually the dog arrives before the runner....ditto hikers with loose pups) of the canine will throw my dogs into turmoil. Aside of that, I marvel at how these folks don't slide and slip and trip and end up with a busted bum or trashed jaw. I ran for many years and even on some trails, but, there is a logical limit and one really ought to be careful. Never the less, I have never come across a jogger flat out down in wretched pain needing rescue. I guess the Nike gods watch over them. In my day, the encounters with cats and sidewalk breaks were near lethal. Left a few bloody marks on sidewalks. Nary one on a trail.