Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Lets burn all the trees!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 6:50 pm 
pest wrote:
But first they are going to fix all the roads so they can get to the trees so they can cut them so they can get the money to close the roads. Here is one of the things they will have to fix:
There are several washouts like this on the 2353 after the storm on December 3.
Makes sense to me. That washout needs to be fixed! A little excavation, and contouring and it will be fixed! If we cut more trees, more roads would be maintained and not need such fixes. banghead.gif Timber is why most of the roads were built that WE ALL USE.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 7:15 pm 
pest wrote:
But first they are going to fix all the roads so they can get to the trees so they can cut them so they can get the money to close the roads.
I agree with treeswarper. Sounds like a heck of a plan to me.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
sten

sten
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 7:37 pm 
So the sale is funding the fixing of that road that's dumping loads of sediments into the streams and looks as though it will continue to do so for some time --- and other similar problems, and decom a few roads that probably aren't needed any more but could become problems like that with the right rainfall/snowfall-melt event before they become a similar problem? Sounds good to me.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 7:56 pm 
ski wrote:
pest wrote:
But first they are going to fix all the roads so they can get to the trees so they can cut them so they can get the money to close the roads.
I agree with treeswarper. Sounds like a heck of a plan to me.
what a surprise!

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 3:06 am 
pest wrote:
Yes we can grow big trees in just 80 years and create old growth structure but we can not create old growth function and composition in just 80 years. It takes time to grow all that moss and develope canopy soils and other things that we only find in true old growth forests.
I think it's better to have a forest with old growth function and composition in 80 years than say, 120+ years. The sooner, the better... even if thinning will not speed up formation of old-growth type soil and moss and other feature foresters can't control. An almost-stagnant thicket isn't going to help old-growth either. You didn't happen to take any photos of the forest stands in question, did you? If so, please post.
pest wrote:
Everytime we "manage" nature we only mess it up. All nature needs from us is to leave it alone.
Philosophy: I disagree with this statement somewhat. Humans have to manage Nature in many places so we can have raw materials to live. We can't leave Nature alone in many areas. We have to choose areas on the Earth that we take natural resources from. National Forests are designated by Federal law to provide some of our country's wood products needs. We used to live in Olympia and hike up around the South Fork Skokomish in winter and spring. This location on the Skok is a relatively good area to grow trees for wood products. I'd rather atleast a little bit of our wood come from thinning local low-elevation second growth than from Canadian old-growth clearcuts or illegal logging in Asia or Africa (a huge problem not many people know about). In the US, landowners are really quite good at managing Nature for what they want. Look at agriculture. Very productive! Some people point to the conflict between fish, wildlife, wilderness and natural resource extraction as an example on how we never manage Nature correctly. I disagree. That's a conflict of values between people, not a failure of ability of people to manage Nature. Values change between generations which is also perceived as a technical failure.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 10:49 am 
yew_betula wrote:
We used to live in Olympia and hike up around the South Fork Skokomish in winter and spring. This location on the Skok is a relatively good area to grow trees for wood products. I'd rather atleast a little bit of our wood come from thinning local low-elevation second growth than from Canadian old-growth clearcuts or illegal logging in Asia or Africa (a huge problem not many people know about).
It sure was. That is why 90% of the watershed has been logged.

RodF

RodF
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 11:39 am 
pest wrote:
MCaver wrote:
ski wrote:
7. timber sale revenues from the project will be put into road decommissioning projects.
So they're cutting down trees so they can afford to quit giving access to them? uhh.gif
But first they are going to fix all the roads so they can get to the trees so they can cut them so they can get the money to close the roads...
Olympic National Forest went through a very careful and lengthy study of its entire road network between 1999 and 2003. They held numerous public meetings throughout the area, and solicited public comments which were incorporated into its final Access and Travel Management Plan. Of their total 2254 miles of roads, 685 to 752 miles are being decommissioned and an additional 57 to 124 miles converted to trails. Highest priority was placed on those roads which pose threats to aquatic habitat (primarily through failing culverts). I haven't followed the entire plan, just that part which covers my local area (the northeast Olympics). Some of the highest priority projects have already been done, and more are out of bid to be done next summer. I'm impressed by their planning process, by what has been accomplished so far, and by what is going to be done in the next two years. It takes money to accomplish this, and Congress isn't appropriating it. MCaver or Pest, do you have a criticism of the ATM planning process, the ATM plan itself, or of the idea of retaining timber sales revenue within ONF to fund it? This is a lengthy and carefully planned and prioritized effort, which doesn't deserve to be dismissed blithely. Ski, thank you for taking the time to phone ONF and find out the facts. Is this the Pine Creek/LeBar Creek thinning project?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 11:46 am 
RodF wrote:
pest wrote:
MCaver wrote:
ski wrote:
7. timber sale revenues from the project will be put into road decommissioning projects.
So they're cutting down trees so they can afford to quit giving access to them? uhh.gif
But first they are going to fix all the roads so they can get to the trees so they can cut them so they can get the money to close the roads...
Olympic National Forest went through a very careful and lengthy study of its entire road network between 1999 and 2003. They held numerous public meetings throughout the area, and solicited public comments which were incorporated into its final Access and Travel Management Plan. Of their total 2254 miles of roads, 685 miles are being decommissioned and an additional 57 to 124 miles converted to trails. Highest priority was placed on those roads which pose threats to aquatic habitat (primarily through failing culverts). I haven't followed the entire plan, just that part which covers my local area (the northeast Olympics). Some of the highest priority projects have already been done, and more are out of bid to be done next summer. I'm impressed by their planning process, by what has been accomplished so far, and by what is going to be done in the next two years. It takes money to accomplish this, and Congress isn't appropriating it. MCaver or Pest, do you have a criticism of the ATM planning process, the ATM plan itself, or of the idea of retaining timber sales revenue within ONF to fund it? This is a lengthy and carefully planned and prioritized effort, which doesn't deserve to be dismissed blithely. Ski, thank you for taking the time to phone ONF and find out the facts. Is this the Pine Creek/LeBar Creek thinning project?
Too funny.. a phone call to the FS does not facts make.

RodF

RodF
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 11:55 am 
pest wrote:
Too funny.. a phone call to the FS does not facts make.
For heaven's sake, Pest, it is "cellulosic biodiesel" and "non-native alder" that do not facts make!
pest wrote:
ONF is about to do some "thinning" up on the SKOK and what they cut will be turned into biodiesel. Something about non native alder trees that NEED to be cut down. WTF!?
Whether that came from rumor or dream, it's no basis for responsible commentary on public policy. I've long admired your website, and enjoyed meeting you briefly on the S Fk Skok trail last September, but must beg you to do a reality check here, please. By the way, since I recall you're in a forest ecology class, I was hoping to ask you about the science of thinning to increase forest complexity and diversity. This is one of the goals of the Northwest Forest Plan, and I've heard there are many scientific studies of this. If you could pass on some pointers into this literature, I'd appreciate it. All I know is that, as a hiker, I've gone through many 20-40 yr old stands (usually wildfire, not logged) in which the young trees are closely packed and most of them are being shaded out and are dying, and historically such dense thickets of dead branches are vulnerable to truly devasting wildfires that sterilize the soil. Seems like removing the dying ones would speed up the growth of the remainder, and reduce fire danger?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 12:13 pm 
RodF wrote:
Is this the Pine Creek/LeBar Creek thinning project?
i didn't even ask him the project name. never came up during the conversation. he did allude to the project being the end result of a long planning and public involvement process, with several major 'environmental groups' involved. sounded to me like the alder and doug fir have come up so think that hemlocks and other species got crowded out. doug fir up to 6" is being taken out. it didn't take much time. maybe 10 or 15 minutes. i don't like to keep those guys on the phone long- they're busy. although he did get a good laugh out of the "non-native alder for bio-fuel" part. but then, phone calls to the ONF head office do not facts make, so either he was lying to me, or i just made all this up.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 12:18 pm 
Has anyone here heard of the Skokomish Watershed Action Team? Might be helpful to read their webpage. Not sure if this is the same area you folks are talking about though.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 12:20 pm 
RodF wrote:
the science of thinning to increase forest complexity and diversity
long ago and far away, the Northwest Forest Plan provided for several Adaptive Management Areas ( AMA's ), at least two or three of which were supposed to be used to study various selective thinning methods. unfortunately, the funding allocation for the AMAs was cut to the point where they're only able now to tell you where the AMA boundaries are. most all the projects got put on hold or have been forgotten ( especially on the Cispus ). but hey, maybe the "no action alternative" will provide us a great learning experience in the future!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 6:41 pm 
The Smooth Juniper sale, which I'm thinking is in the Cispus AMA, has all been logged, except for the dreaded unit 31, where we might be doing the road building to in a month or so depending on weather and economics. The logging of the final unit is on hold pending better market conditions. There's cleanup work and road closing/waterbarring yet to be done. One unit had some pretty heavy blowdown happen to it last year. I'm thinking rootrot, shallow soils, and wind. The unlogged area across the road also had blowdown. A good part of the sale was logged during the winter and the upper units on top of snow, so it came out looking good. The happiest unit smile.gif was down a long road by the river (the river was buffered) . Quite a few of the trees were too big for the processor and had to be felled by hand. The elk like to hang out down there too. This sale was/is 100% commercial thinning with different spacings so you might want to take a look at it. All through the Cispus Valley are stands of timber that have been commercially thinned at least once. Many areas make my mouth water, and I must control my inner timber beast instincts.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 7:27 pm 
First, sorry for a bit of thread hijack, but it is relevant to the topic, I suppose. Treeswarper, what diameter trees were felled with the Cispus project? From your mention of falling trees by hand because they would not fit in the processor, it sounds as though these were fairly significant in size? And are you familiar with small diameter thinning (6-8" diameter), which is becoming more prevalent in the timber industry? Is this at all close to the work you do?

Opinions expressed here are my own.
strider

strider
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 8:26 pm 
I have "bigger picture" questions to pose. Before I pose them please bear with me while I provide some context to frame my questions. I know that historically there have been way too many instances of land use and natural resource mis-management. Many places (forests, rivers, estuaries, etc.) and the wildlife therein have suffered as a result of this mis-management. There have also been both laws and policies enacted to force government agencies responsible for oversight of public lands to follow strict planning and research guidelines. Private citizens and companies also are governed by most of these same laws and many of these same policies. These controls have been put in place primarily by us ("we the people, remember?"). They are in place to try to reduce (it's too much to hope that mere humans can completely eliminate) environmental errors caused by various combinations of human stupidity, greed, ignorance, etc.. Several examples of these laws and policies in action have been cited in earlier posts in this thread - long study and analysis of land use proposals, public comment periods, etc.. So, to my questions: When was the last time a public land use program was enacted in the U.S. without being studied, analyzed, public commented upon, restudied, ad infinitum? When was the last time a federal or state government bureaucrat enacted a controversial program that caused detrimental environmental impact to public lands without first following all of the pre-action environmental laws and regulations? I have no idea what the answers are.... I look forward to hearing the horror stories. Please provide a date (the year would be close enough) and a factual information reference for the stories. If anyone knows of an instance where a bureaucrat broke one of these laws and the statute of limitations hasn't run out, why aren't you screaming for justice? If any public employee does not now follow these laws they risk personal liability, both fiscal and incarceration. Those same bureaucrats know there are very passionate citizens who would LOVE to cry wolf and see the dastardly evildoers suffer. If I were one of the bureaucrats responsible for the administration of public trust lands, I would follow the regs and laws to the letter. I understand (and applaud) the passion of those who take it upon themselves to be citizen watchdogs over the bureaucrats as they do the jobs WE hired them to perform. However ... if someone really want to affect the process and the progress of land use initiatives and programs, they must get involved EARLY in the process. The time to make noise about land use initiatives is three or four years BEFORE they are actually working on our FS roads and thinning our trees. If you are passionate about these issues, you need to be proactively looking at public land use initiatives that are currently in the planning stages. The time to successfully affect those plans and decisions is now, not three years from now when the plans are executed. Just my .02....

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....