Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deception Pass Wanderings
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trevor

Trevor
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 8:57 pm 
(Since deception pass in trip reports, it clearly must be the down season. Since I hadn’t created a trip report in a while-- mostly due to any sense of laziness feeding off of the picture of the day opportunity-- I thought it was due time. Btw, I’m completely open to any suggestions or partnerships that will make me slightly less-non hardcore this time of year.) I may only be a mere number of feet from the consistent chaos of I-5, but for me, the sense of trip begins when I head west from the Conway exit. It’s odd how certain nuances in the landscape commence the mental voyage. There’s the ritual stop at the Conway gas station/teriyaki joint/ ice cream shop for a refreshing bottle of whatever. I can always expect to see the small-Asian man operating the cash register; a friendly fellow with consistent smiles--smiles that exude life contentment. He typically gives the gestures that imply that he recognizes me, but does he recognize me, or is this just his customary approach to guests. I like to think he recalls our in depth discussion about the fluctuation in ice cream sales during the tulip festival that we had earlier in the year. If you drive through a specific area under similar conditions multiple times, this is basically nostalgia building. I seem to drive best road typically under afternoon conditions. The angled rays signal a torrent of old memories. There’s something about the mix of idle farm equipment , dilapidated barns and sparse geese gaggles that always seems to pull the relaxation trigger. The cows , sprawled rather lazily on their farm abodes, and the accumulating mass of green on the gas-station sign down the road, only serve to enhance this sense of nonchalance. On this walk to the bay overlook there are always things that I can expect to see, like: the madrones standing rigidly in their rather-neat clusters against the deep -blue backdrop of the bay. It’s once again, this sense of nostalgia that keeps me returning. That within the twisting structure of the trail, I’ll rediscover some certain aspect of myself from a past time. An ice layer deadens the typical repetitive motions of the wind-blown pond.; the cool breath of late fall heightening the stillness of the area The tide gives the shore a fresh batch of vividly green seaweed, this opposes the neutralized tones of the ice-laden land. The bay almost seems perfectly calm as the saturation of the light becomes progressively stronger. The madrones become painted with magenta hues. The sunset’s fading glow delicately illuminates the timeless-horizontal lines of the bay as they juxtapose the slender verticality of the heron. Alone, I observe several groups of birds enjoy their moments together. Dusk swarms the area as my truck stands as the sole occupant of the lot. I certainly consider these small-city neighboring trails to be infinitely important to society’s structure. It’s odd how a relatively small amount of miles put forth can, at times, equate to such expansive distances in peace of mind.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 9:26 pm 
holy **WOW** trevor, your images enchant me. as do your words what a beautiful trip report.

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 9:35 pm 
mmmm yummy !! thanks T!!! biggrin.gif

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 10:22 pm 
Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 10:37 pm 
Wonderful words, Trevor. My soul really starts to flutter when I reach the location of the third image ... in anticipation of reaching the peninsular spot of the first image. Well done.

Trevor

Trevor
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 5:46 pm 
Thanks everyone.

mgd

mgd
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 7:44 pm 
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 7:55 pm 
Trev, what gorgeous images. Thank you for showing them. The place is a favorite...yes, in short hikes there you can feel far from the worldly urban life we (usually) must live. Winter does offer great color at sunset. I collected an awesome image on Saturday....sunset with foreground trees. Darned nice.

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostWed Dec 12, 2007 5:43 pm 
Stunning colors! I'm a painter and love them colors!

Flora
Akula

Akula
PostThu Dec 13, 2007 12:32 pm 
Sad, I live barely 10 minutes from Deception Pass, and rarely go there. Perhaps it is time for a change!! Wonderful images, thanks for sharing.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover. -- Mark Twain
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Dec 13, 2007 11:54 pm 
Beautiful; both the writing and the photography.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 5:42 am 
Nice Trevor. Reminds me of when the wife and kids used to go there. I have a crayon drawing on my wall, 'Eagles Soar at Deception Pass'. It's 30 yo. Precious it is. I go down to the big parking lot at lunch sometimes. 3, 4 maybe 6 cars in the lot. A couple of folks sitting watching the waves and gulls. Maybe a couple walking up and down. The rest? Well, they be bent over looking for them pretty rocks. I can't imagine there would be any left anymore. You need to tell me where you found them colors. I've been working out there for the past 3 months, dawn to dusk, and ain't never seen anything that pretty. Thank you for the memories brought by your words and images.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 12:16 pm 
All the photos rock.. but I really like numero 5..it's rather eerie in a beautiful way cool.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 2:43 pm 
Very nice! up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 2:45 pm 
I am pretty sure I have been to the spot in Photo #4 during a structural geology field course I took while in college. At the time, it didn't look as nice as in your photo though. up.gif

Knows literally nothing