Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lower South Fork Skokomish / Storm Damage
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 3:59 pm 
Huge piles of driftwood are lodged against the pasture fences on the Skokomish Valley Road. The Skok broke its record last week, the water has mostly retreated now but signs of flooding abound. The trail is in rough shape once again. I'm pretty sure that last year's damage to the trail was cleaned up and all the damage I saw today was fresh. Past the two mile mark and beyond there are many downed trees blocking the trail. I had to go well off the trail to get around blow downs. About 200 feet of the trail has been washed out by the river and an extensive re-route will be required to fix the trail. The washout is just past where my topo maps shows that the camp comfort shelter used to be. I hiked out on the road via the spur trail just past camp comfort. By hiking out on the road I turned the hike into a 9 mile loop. The road is washed out in several places. A crew was up there working on the road. The forest service is going to do some logging up there and then sell the trees to a biodiesel plant. So the road should be repaired soon enough. Is there anything the forest service won't do to make a buck? The road washouts on 2353 will not prevent access to the dry creek or the dry creek extension trail once they open the gates back up. But there could well be other washouts on other roads leading to those trail heads. Forest Service road 23 is washed out before Spider Lake but it will be repaired soon. I had a lovely hike and got some good exercise climbing over all the blow downs. All the bridges that were good last year are still good this year. Washout on trail
Washout on 2353
One of many downed trees
Drift wood piled up from the flood

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 4:07 pm 
thanks for the TR..........looks like a lot of work for the trail crew!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 4:11 pm 
Thanks for all the great pictures pest! up.gif I just read your write-up on WTA. Looks like the east slopes of the Olympics didn't escape the wrath of the floods either.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 4:18 pm 
skimpyphud wrote:
Thanks for all the great pictures pest! up.gif I just read your write-up on WTA. Looks like the east slopes of the Olympics didn't escape the wrath of the floods either.
You're welcome. I was really surprised to see all the washed out culverts on FS-2353. That road survived the floods last year. At one point where I had to go around a tree on the trail I ended up down on what must have been the trail in the past. There was old puncheon down there and that old trail was easier to walk on then the current trail. To get around the washout I had to climb up to higher bench and then slide back down. I think they may need to put switch backs up and down the bench to get around the washout. Where the washout is makes a nice turn around point for an out and back hike but you have to find a way around the washout if you want to hike out on the forest service road. I have more pictures posted on my Blog and bigger copies of the same pictures too. http://mosswalks.blogspot.com

Phil

Phil
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 8:39 pm 
Wow, those farms on the road just after you leave 101 must have been in a lake. Between this report and the Elwha report I'm needing to come up with new hiking and camping ideas! I had both those spots marked for easy family camping trips.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 9:26 pm 
Yeah look at these flood pictures. These are where the Skok flowed over 101. The Old Purdy Canyon Diner

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 10:21 pm 
How deep was that in the middle? It looks like I could bust through there in my dad's truck.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 10:36 pm 
skimpyphud wrote:
How deep was that in the middle? It looks like I could bust through there in my dad's truck.
If you could have gotten past the road block manned by two sherriffs vehicles I guess you could have.. wink.gif The water went over the top of the skirting on the mobile home in the picture. Also the water was flowing VERY fast. You can see it here

Phil

Phil
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 9:44 am 
Did you (or anyone else) happen to get as far as about 5-6 miles in, to the point where previously there was a large cliff at a river bend, with the trail skirting up and around it? I have a pic somewhere but cannot access it.... it is in my 3/06 trip report. At the time seemed like that area was ready to slump further into the river.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 10:57 am 
I did a 9 mile loop incorporating a road walk so proably not. Here is my track log: