9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 65

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Nov 08, 2009 4:12 pm 
This year I have discovered that there is fruitcake, and then there are those bricks filled with techicolor globs of jelly stuff that are sold to the masses. A local, older lady gave me a homemade fruitcake last January. She apologized for it being late, but it just hadn't soaked long enough to give it out before Christmas. It was a revelation. Moist, filled with identifiable dried fruits - apricots, cherries, dates, blueberries, apples... - and nuts. Marinated in good bourbon. WOW! It was simply amazing. I'll happily take another homemade fruitcake like that lovely lady made. The store bought weird bricks? I'll pass.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSun Nov 08, 2009 6:27 pm 
jenjen, that sounds intriguing but...this thread is no good without photos!

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Nov 08, 2009 7:40 pm 
There is a place for store-bought fruitcake. I like the brick sized ones with the red wrapper because that's what we had when I was a kid. "Grandma's" brand (Kansas City) is good, and the New York Cheesecake Factory (New York, Texas) as well as Eilenberger's (Palastine, TX) are good as well. But yeah, the kind Jen describes - the good, home-made kind are the best, if made right. Some people make them too dry and cakey. \ I'll be collecting unwanted fruitcake again this year. Anyone who gets a fruitcake and doesn't want it, look me up, willya?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
she hikes in beauty

she hikes in beauty
PostSun Nov 08, 2009 8:10 pm 
jenjen wrote:
This year I have discovered that there is fruitcake, and then there are those bricks filled with techicolor globs of jelly stuff that are sold to the masses.
Pee Wee Herman built an addition to his playhouse with those bricks in his Christmas special. When guests brought them to him he put them on a dolly to get them back to the construction area. It was pretty funny.

shadetree

shadetree
PostSun Nov 08, 2009 9:08 pm 
jenjen wrote:
This year I have discovered that there is fruitcake, and then there are those bricks filled with techicolor globs of jelly stuff that are sold to the masses. A local, older lady gave me a homemade fruitcake last January. She apologized for it being late, but it just hadn't soaked long enough to give it out before Christmas. It was a revelation. Moist, filled with identifiable dried fruits - apricots, cherries, dates, blueberries, apples... - and nuts. Marinated in good bourbon. WOW! It was simply amazing. I'll happily take another homemade fruitcake like that lovely lady made. The store bought weird bricks? I'll pass.
Welcome to the word of delightful deliciousness. My grandfather and later my mother made fruitcake that would make you long for Christmass. dizzy.gif

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Nov 09, 2009 3:54 am 
Comrades, Shadetree advises:
Quote:
Welcome to the word of delightful deliciousness. My grandfather and later my mother made fruitcake that would make you long for Christmass
So, ok, let's say some of these concoctions are actually pretty good.. Question: If the real thing fruitcake is so darn good, why does it only appear at Christmas? Tom

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Nov 09, 2009 6:49 am 
My guess is that fruitcake is a PITA to make, so it's a once a year sort of thing. Lots of Christmas cookies fall into that category. They're awesome, but time consuming and a PITA. *Note that I've never actually made a fruitcake myself.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
ree

ree
PostMon Nov 09, 2009 8:09 am 
My Mom made it once. It IS a PITA.

Aussie

Aussie
PostMon Nov 09, 2009 8:24 am 
Yes, good homemade fruitcake takes a lot of time and planning. Soaking the fruit in brandy or other liquor of choice should be done well ahead of time - probably at least a couple of days. You have to line the cake pan with brown paper and parchment paper. Cooking them takes hours because they're so dense. But a good homemade one can't be beat. Some British imports come close though. I particularly like mine with marzipan and fondant - just like mum used to do it when she went all out and put little decorations on top. The cake use to sit in the centre of the dining table for a few days as a presentation piece and part of the traditional British/Australian Christmas.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostMon Nov 09, 2009 11:00 am 
I didn't vote, since my answer wasn't there. I used to think it was vile. I still think most of it is... But a friend, a caterer, basically forced me to try some of the fruitcake he'd made for last year's Christmas party... and Damn. If all fruitcake was like that, we wouldn't be having this poll. On that note, today as I was browsing through the new Cook's Illustrated Holiday Baking issue, I've decided to try my hand at traditional plum pudding (which has no plums, and isn't really pudding). I have to make it now, for it to be ready for his party, since it is supposed to age for 1-2 months to be at it's best. --Gray

Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostMon Nov 09, 2009 5:19 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I'll be collecting unwanted fruitcake again this year. Anyone who gets a fruitcake and doesn't want it, look me up, willya?
I don't know about the rest of you, but if the dogs won't eat them (or at least won't finish them), I'd prefer to save them for Quark. But that does raise the question: Do zombies like fruitcake?

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.
touron

touron
PostMon Nov 09, 2009 6:38 pm 
I hate to say it, but fruitcake would probably make a good 11th essential. The stuff probably has more energy packed in it than anything you can normally buy off the shelf. All that dried fruit, the bourbon, flour, sugar...and it's so well preserved. A 5lb fruitcake might be overkill, at least if it is in your own pack, but a couple slices might get you out of the Enchantments in a driving snowstorm. Also, the fruit probably glows in the dark, which would allow you to save your flashlight for true emergencies. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
shadetree

shadetree
PostMon Nov 09, 2009 10:21 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
Comrades, Shadetree advises:
Quote:
Welcome to the word of delightful deliciousness. My grandfather and later my mother made fruitcake that would make you long for Christmass
So, ok, let's say some of these concoctions are actually pretty good.. Question: If the real thing fruitcake is so darn good, why does it only appear at Christmas? Tom
Three things. 1 It is a pia to make 2 one must wrap it in brandy soaked cheese cloth. In warmer times of the year it has a tendency to spontaneously combust flammable.gif 3 it takes a long time to make.

TokyoTessie

TokyoTessie
PostMon Nov 09, 2009 10:41 pm 
Manitou Springs, CO has an annual fruitcake toss. Saw it on TV once, it is pretty impressive! http://manitoucafe.com/manitou-springs-fruitcake-toss.htm

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Dec 10, 2009 11:08 pm 
It's that time again. Give those homeless fruitcakes some shelter at Quark's house.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown