Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stetattle Creek or Boulder River? Advice?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 2:55 pm 
Scheduled to go hiking tomorrow. No buddies to go with (yet) so I'm reluctant to go snowshoeing. I'm looking for 'something else'. Since it doesn't look like weather for far reaching views, I'm debating between Boulder River trail (near Darrington) or the Stetattle Creek trail off Hwy 20 @ Diablo. Boulder River because I haven't been there before and it seems to be a top recommendation for the wet, cloudy type days. Pros: everyone else likes it. By "Everyone" I mean Quark. And Rich B. Cons: If it's not up my alley it could be a short day (which I try to avoid because I only get to do this about once a month). Alternatively, I haven't been to the Stetattle Creek trail either, but it's in close proximity to Diablo Dam, opening up the door for exploring in that area (such as the Diablo to Ross trail, Thunder Creek, Pyramid lake and a couple other destinations within reach. Pros: I like the area and am generally familiar with a lot of it already. Cons: I was just in that area in mid October and I feel like it's more just poking around, wasting time instead of 'hiking'. Yeah, yeah... it's the journey, not the destination. I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you do when you encounter this kind of dilemna... or if you have arguments for one area over the other. Of course, I'm also open to other options as well. Thanks in advance. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 3:09 pm 
There's no way Boulder River won't be up your alley, dude. Stetattle Cr - I forgot if that one peters out in a short while....Karen did a TR on it. Can you get to the TH? I'm an idjit & don't knkow where the gate is. The raod closed for the sesason.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 3:09 pm 
I haven't yet been on the Boulder River trail, but I have been about 2.75mi up the Stetattle Creek trail: - There are quite a few stream crossings which might be running high after the recent rain. - Views of surrounding peaks are limited, though very nice views of Davis Peak evantually make an entrance. - The trail itself is quite lovely - When I went there were a number of blow-downs but that was early season... Link to my trip report: http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin.dev/wtaweb.pl?7+reports+displayM+2007050511

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 pm 
I'm generally not a big fan of the river walk trails, but I really did like Boulder River. It has a very nice deep forest, untouched feel to it. If you have a GPS there are also several Geocaches along the route too.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 3:15 pm 
Quark wrote:
Can you get to the TH? I'm an idjit & don't knkow where the gate is. The raod closed for the sesason.
The gate is beyond the Pyramid lake trailhead, which is past Diablo, which is where stetattle creek trailhead is.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Karen

Karen
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 3:16 pm 
Quark is right .... the Boulder is a better choice. It's a long drive to the Stetattle and you can only walk about 1/2 mile or so before the terrain gets rugged (part of the trail is GONE) and that was BEFORE these last storm systems. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 5:43 pm 
Yeah... I guess I knew Boulder would be the obvious choice amongst nwhikers. Opus - River walks aren't really my top choice either so your upside on Boulder is helpful. Plus, I'll be sure to look up some geocaches before I depart. Once I took my kids out to find a local one, but they started fighting like cats and dogs, so we called it quits. GaliWalker - Thanks for the WTA link. What were your other two trails? Quark - up.gif hockeygrin.gif Dicey - You're right about the gate (and who would know better than you?!?). It's actually out beyond colonial Creek campground isn't it? Karen - I did see your trip report (after posting this thing) and was disappointed to read about the early washout. There is still a lot of other places I'd like to explore further in the area. Great pics, by the way. tongue.gif Why is it that not many folks head up toward Diablo when the gate is closed? In the back of my head that must be on my list of things I need to do some day. It seems to me that a lot of people should (theoretically) be heading out there frequently for the great scenery and the solitude. It's probably really quiet this time of year. For this weekend however, I'll start out at Boulder River. Thanks everyone for the insights and advice.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 5:54 pm 
Elvis wrote:
GaliWalker - Thanks for the WTA link. What were your other two trails?
The other 2 hikes were: Pyramid Lake (similar to Karen): http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin.dev/wtaweb.pl?7+reports+displayM+2007050512 Diablo Lake trail (Diablo Dam to Ross Dam and back): http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin.dev/wtaweb.pl?7+reports+displayM+2007050513 You also mentioned interest in the Thunder Creek trail. I went about 9mi along this one: http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin.dev/wtaweb.pl?7+reports+displayM+2007042112

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
ree

ree
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 6:14 pm 
I did Boulder River last weekend. Not a lick of snow on the trail, not even ice. Freaking cold outside tho. Nothing that a campstove and a thermos of soup couldn't fix. hockeygrin.gif up.gif

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Dec 14, 2007 6:31 pm 
Add to GaliWalker's list: Sourdough Mountain Trail. For the hardy, it is steep and reaches high enough you are bound to be snowshoeing. Beautiful highland going north (tarns in summer); lookout to east at trails end. Boulder River is a good choice for fast exit if the RAINS pour. Have fun! Stay dry as possible!

hikermike

hikermike
PostSat Dec 15, 2007 3:45 pm 
I realize I might be late....but.... the 2 hikes are not that comparable... well...actually any 2 hikes are comparable but they're not in the same league.. Boulder is an easy trail anytime, the river is always the same. On a weekday, in a pouring down rain, you'll still meet even 2 or 3 parties. No views of mtns except at the TH of Higgins across the street, but a nice walk the entire way....as in a NICE walk... mostly level, NO challenges. Easy drive. Steattle creek, Long drive, with occasional views, an unpredictable "stream", (as in, it has washed out the road and you have to cross it ), and blowdowns and bushwhack (WET?). But maybe not see a soul. They are comparable in 1 way...beautiful forest hike. I would think the road would be open as the trail is at the damsite.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Dec 17, 2007 6:29 pm 
After having finally gone ~2mi up the Boulder River trail (about the same as my Stettatle Creek foray) I have the following opinion: Stettale Creek is asthetically more pleasing, but a lot more work too!