Forum Index > Food & Grub > Mangos, how ya know if they're ripe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Canuck

Canuck
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 2:25 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Ok I think it will be ready to eat tomorrow, do I peel the skin?
Yup, you peel the skin. Various ways to eat a mango: 1- The messy way: Peel the skin and dice up the mango 2- The common way: Balance the mango vertically on a table (applying pressure from the top); slice out both cheeks (try and stay as close to the pit as you can while slicing); cut the cheeks into strips and eat the flesh from the strips (similar to a watermelon); for the remaining strips on the pit, do the best you can... biggrin.gif 3- The ghoulish way: Give the mango a really good bruise (I mean palpate the hell out of it!); then slice an opening at one end and squeeze/suck out all the flesh 4- The best way: Slice the mango down to the pit all the way around the middle in one cut. Grasp the two halves firmly and rotate them slightly until the pit comes free in one half - pull the 2 halves apart. Take a spoon and dive in.
Whatever you do, don't bother buying the "mango slicer" they sell near the mangoes in the grocery store. I bought one, because my apple slicer is very cool and works really well. The mango one doesn't work at all. Way too hard (for me anyway) to judge where the pit is, and I end up making a mess out of the whole thing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 3:24 pm 
My mango slicer works great! Just need a sharp one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AREB5S/

speyguy

speyguy
PostThu Aug 11, 2011 4:15 pm 
drewcoll wrote:
Trader Joe's has some nice dried mango too. I've tried the Costco type but like Trader Joe's better. But compromising flavor/texture for cost, Costco is a good bet too.
x2 on the TJ Mangoes. I believe they are available with or without the Sulfur Dioxide. I tried the ones without and will get some for my next hiike.

"If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun"- Ben Franklin
Altitude Junkie

Altitude Junkie
PostThu Aug 11, 2011 5:21 pm 
Mmmmmmmmmm, mangos! My Grandmother had a property in Florida that she planted with fruit trees. She would literally step out of her back door each morning and pick fresh lemons, grapefruit, oranges, and mangoes from each tree. Visiting her was a treat and a half, especially since the mango tree was populated with thousands of anoles that skittered away in waves whenever you approached. Cutey pies. Anoles (WARNING: page contains anole lovin') http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychrotidae AJ