Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostThu Mar 13, 2014 8:26 am 
Robert Macfarlane's wonderful books! "Mountains of the Mind - Adventures in Reaching the Summit" and "The Old Ways" Superb writing, inspiring ideas.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Mar 15, 2014 2:28 pm 
Just started another Ivan Doig novel "The Bartender's Tale." A minor character from "Bucking the Sun" gets his own story.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Apr 04, 2014 4:08 pm 
A recent North Cascade Institute field seminar brought me onto Ross Lake which aroused my interest into the history of the dam construction. Building the Skagit by Paul C. Pitzer provides the reader with a concise modern history of the upper Skagit. The book starts with the early homesteaders Lucinda Davis and Tommy Rowland and dedicates the following chapters to the search for and actual construction of the various dams. A fact I was unaware of was the use of Italian POWs to augment the labor during WWII.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Apr 04, 2014 6:23 pm 
Farley Mowat's "The Boat who Wouldn't Float" is a personal favorite of mine. I'm revisiting Mowat's nautical adventures around Newfoundland in another book "Bay of Spirits: A Love Story."

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 06, 2014 12:52 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Farley Mowat's "The Boat who Wouldn't Float" is a personal favorite of mine. I'm revisiting Mowat's nautical adventures around Newfoundland in another book "Bay of Spirits: A Love Story."
Well I was enjoying this. I thought in addition to it being a humorous story about a misbehaving boat and a rugged landscape and people, it was about the beginning of his relationship with his second wife after his first marriage ended. Nope, he's still married to wife #1 while he's gallivanting around with wife to be #2. I have very little patience for that kind of stuff. Might make it difficult to keep reading it.

mike

mike
PostSun Apr 06, 2014 2:43 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I have very little patience for that kind of stuff.
Then try N by E by Rockwell Kent

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 06, 2014 2:58 pm 
mike wrote:
Then try N by E by Rockwell Kent
Sounds intriguing, thanks for the recommendation.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 07, 2014 6:45 pm 
Washington Times and Trails © 1970 Joan and Gene Olson - Windyridge Press. How could I resist with an introduction like this: "What do we want of this vast, worthless area, this region of savages and wild beasts, of shifting sands and whirlwinds of dust, of cactus and prairie dogs? To what use could we ever hope to put these great deserts or these great mountain ranges, impenetrable and covered to their base with eternal snow? What can we ever hope to do with the western coast, a coast of three thousand miles, rockbound, cheerless and uninviting, and not a harbor on it? What use have we of such a country? Mr. President, I will never vote one cent from the public treasury to place the Pacific Ocean one inch closer to Boston than it is now." - Senator Daniel Webster

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 12:14 am 
if you missed this in the other thread: The Ozette Prairies of Olympic National Park: Their Former Indigenous Uses and Management - 2009 M. Kat Anderson - NPS *.pdf format. download above. fascinating stuff

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 3:31 am 
The Trouble with Wilderness - an essay by William Cronon long. excellent. funny thing, Rod: my old man always used to tell us when we were up there and he was telling his stories around the fire that "this is all make believe." took me a long time to understand what he meant.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 5:54 am 
Currently reading " A Short History of Everything" by Bill Bryson Finding it very readable and enjoying that it is touching back to books I have read in recent years like Longitude and Chasing Venus. He has also touched on characters involved with places I have been like the Hunterian Museum.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 9:16 am 
Just finished Bryson's One Summer: America 1927. It was interesting from a historical standpoint, and he told the story well. But, I found it sort of a slog, too. Maybe not his best....

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 9:30 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Just finished Bryson's One Summer: America 1927. It was interesting from a historical standpoint, and he told the story well. But, I found it sort of a slog, too. Maybe not his best....
I've read a handful of Bryson's books. A bit hit and miss for me. I think "In a Sun Burned Country" (travelogue in Australia) and "A Walk in the Woods" (his attempt at the Appalachian Trail) are my favorites.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 1:50 am 
Forest Conditions in the Olympic Forest Reserve from notes by Arthur Dodwell and Theodore F. Rixon - Government Printing Office 1902 "Township 28 North, Range 9 West This township is drained by the Soleduck, Hoh, and Bogachiel rivers. Most of it lies very high and it is all mountainous and broken. The soil is stony. Underbrush is scanty on the uplands, but dense in the narrow river valleys. The timber consists mainly of hemlock and lovely fir, with a trifling amount of red fir. The latter is of good quality, but the hemlock and lovely fir are scrubby and of no value. The timber can be logged to the rivers by which the township is drained. They are, however, poor logging streams, and it is not probable that the small amount of timber in the township will ever tempt lumbermen to bring a railroad into it." ( *.pdf format 7.1 mb - PM w/email for copy )

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 3:46 pm 
The River of Doubt-Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard recounts the epic adventure that he undertook in the wake of his humiliating election defeat in 1912. He was quite a thrilll seeker to have canoed the previously uncharted waters of the River of Doubt. Three men died during this most difficult exploration at the headwaters of the Amazon bringing tragedy into the waters of a great read.