Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 5:05 pm 
finally finished reading World Without End, sequel to The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. i guess if you enjoy reading about building Cathedrals or bridges, these two are your books! i just started reading Inferno, by Dan Brown, 4th book in his Robert Langdon series.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 7:33 pm 
Prey by Michael Crichton develops his thought producing plot at the fusion point of nanotechnology, biotechnology, and computer technology. There are new bumps to keep you awake at night with the unintended creation of self-replicating "machines" that aren't just the beneficial ones to assist with cancer treatment. Crichton is a master of showing us the dark side of science with The Andromeda Strain, Congo, and Jurassic Park among his literary creations. He easily kept me awake on a return flight from China with the captivating chapters in Prey.

Phil

Phil
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 7:08 pm 
bobbi wrote:
finally finished reading World Without End, sequel to The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett.
Nice recs...I'm due for a re-read of those.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm 
Just picked up my latest library book, it's a recommendation from my brother. "Running with the Kenyans: Passion, Adventure and the Secrets of the Fastest People on Earth" by Adharanand Finn. I'm not a runner...at all. But I thoroughly enjoyed "Born to Run." If it's anywhere near as good as that, I'll be pleased.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 6:23 pm 
world reading day

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 6:57 pm 
nwhikers.net

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 9:16 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
The River of Doubt-Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard recounts the epic adventure that he undertook in the wake of his humiliating election defeat in 1912. He was quite a thrilll seeker to have canoed the previously uncharted waters of the River of Doubt. Three men died during this most difficult exploration at the headwaters of the Amazon bringing tragedy into the waters of a great read.
This is a great read.....That's what we need. A President that takes a trip like this AFTER he leaves office. Read this book. Here is the link to Theodore's version: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11746 It is great. There is a reason he is on Mt. Rushmore.....Forget Joe DiMaggio.....where is Theodore when we need him.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
mike

mike
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 11:15 pm 

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 12:16 pm 
Nathaniel Philbrick is a master at bringing history alive. In The Last Stand-Custer,Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Big Horn the personalities of Custer and Sitting Bull are brought to life through his exploration of the extant testimonies, diaries, and official inquires into that iconic western battle. The first bullet of the battle doesn't whiz by your head until page 170 which allows Philbrick to probe and present his development of the key characters in the Little Big Horn debacle.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Apr 27, 2014 7:35 am 
Tangible Visions-Northwest Coast Indian Shamanism and Its Art by Allen Wardwell is principally a catalogue that presents the articles which were used by shamans for their practices. With beautiful, often full page photos, the author displays masks, amulets, rattles, drums, clothing, cups, and other accoutrements utilized by shamans. Almost all of the articles presented are now housed in museums with the remainder coming from private collections. Archival photos and informative text accompany the articles to provide the reader with a comprehensive authoritative study of the paraphernalia used in shamanism.

Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostSun Apr 27, 2014 8:41 am 
"Solitary Raven - The Essential writings of Bill Reid" is a gem. It's mostly his radio talks and poetry about the native americans of the northwest coast, in particular his ancestors, the Haida. Beautiful illustrations. A heartbreaker.

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 5:38 am 
Here's another up.gif on the Philbrick book The Last Stand. Beats Killng Custer from 1995. Great new insights on not just Custer but other officers and men like Reno, and especially Benteen. Officer's meetings, etc.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Thinktraub

Thinktraub
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 9:34 am 
Can't remember the title to a book that came out a few years ago. It's about our genes being in control of our actions. Our genes are the true players. They're immortal, in that they're passed from generation to generation, while "we" are just along for the ride and die. Anyone remember the title?

Traub Name Meaning: German and Jewish (Ashkenazic): metonymic occupational name for a wine-grower, from Middle High German trube ‘bunch of grapes’, German Traube.
Phil

Phil
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 11:44 am 
phillyjon wrote:
Here's another up.gif on the Philbrick book The Last Stand.
ANNND another up.gif I went on a Custer jag a little while ago, enjoying the above book but also Ambrose

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun May 11, 2014 4:58 pm 
Finally getting around to reading the Hunger Games series. I've enjoyed the movies previously without having read the source material. Breezed thru the first one fairly quickly and about halfway thru the second. I'll have to decide if I want to finish the trilogy before the movies come out.