Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon May 12, 2014 12:49 pm 
Just finished " The Thing with Feathers" lovely book.... cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue May 20, 2014 8:50 am 
Great North Road - by Peter F. Hamilton. Fantastic SF! I'm about 100 pages into it and can't put it down. On Sunday, when I went for a hike I momentarily toyed with not going and reading Great North Road instead! dizzy.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue May 20, 2014 10:05 am 
Full Rip 9.0, Sandi Doughton The next big PNW earthquake. To motivate me to do a seismic retrofit on my 1940 house, which has nothing but gravity holding the frame on the foundation. Seattle Home Earthquake Retrofit The idea: a modest investment could save your entire house from a big earthquake (but not from some $%^&*# developer who'll bulldoze it and replace it with 20 units of tickytacky). The Age of Reason, Thomas Paine.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Toni

Toni
PostTue May 20, 2014 6:57 pm 

There is no Planet B
Phil

Phil
PostTue May 20, 2014 9:07 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Great North Road - by Peter F. Hamilton. Fantastic SF!
I'm always looking for good sci-fi, thanks for the rec...ordered it.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed May 21, 2014 7:08 am 
Well if you haven't read anything by Peter Hamilton, you need to read his Night's Dawn Trilogy, which is the best SF series I've ever read...by far. Here is what I wrote on Page 6 of this thread:
GaliWalker wrote:
The night's dawn trilogy, by Peter Hamilton. (~3,300 pages). Mankind taking on the Dead (led by Al Capone) in 2,600 AD...vintage space opera!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostThu May 22, 2014 6:16 am 
For a jolly good true adventure story read A J Mackinnon's "The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow." "The River of Doubt" by Candice Millard about Theodore Roosevelt's "darkest journey" down a tributary of the Amazon. For science fiction, don't miss Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Craike" and the sequel. Too real future, scary!

Karen

Karen
PostThu May 22, 2014 8:04 am 
I, too, enjoyed "The River of Doubt". Read it twice. Right now I'm working on "Salinger" by David Shields and Shane Salnerno, a biography about JD Salinger. I'm not much into fiction. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu May 22, 2014 8:23 am 
"The Promise of Blood" by Brian McClellan. Book one of the Powder Mage Series trilogy. wow....magic and military and insurrection mixed up in a powerful fantasy....terrific. up.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 22, 2014 8:37 am 
Thinktraub wrote:
Can't remember the title to a book that came out a few years ago. It's about our genes being in control of our actions. Our genes are the true players. They're immortal, in that they're passed from generation to generation, while "we" are just along for the ride and die. Anyone remember the title?
Sounds like The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri May 23, 2014 3:13 pm 
It is a truism that history is written by the winners. In The Island at the Center of the World-The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan & the Forgotten Colony that Shaped America by Russell Shorto the brief period when Nieuw Amsterdam existed is examined allowing a voice for the losers, the Dutch. In the late 1960s some 12,000 pages of lost documents from the Dutch colony resurfaced for their recent translation. Writing in a fashion similar to Barbara Tuchman the author enlivens the historical accounts with refreshingly rich narrative. Shorto posits the thought that the bedrock of modern day New York, with its blending of multiple cultures, had its origins in a Dutch framework of openness that started with Henry Hudson.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat May 24, 2014 10:37 am 
The Abominable, 2013, by Dan Simmons "a thrilling tale of high-altitude death and survival set on the snowy summits of Mt. Everest."

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jun 09, 2014 9:58 am 
Here's a great idea for any young reader interested in mountaineering who's got to do a book report for school: First, read Snyder, The Hall of the Mountain King. Write a report on that. Iimportant to do this before reading the following: Then, read Wilcox, White Winds: America's Most Tragic Mountaineering Expedition. A remarkable juxtaposition of two very different accounts of the same event, and a good lesson in skepticism. And a gripping tale in its own right.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Phil

Phil
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 10:50 am 
Paddling North Woman kayaks up inside passage with inflatable kayak. Good stuff!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jun 21, 2014 10:19 pm 
Just devoured "Gone Girl" in about 2 long sessions (I was day hiking/car camping for several days and had LOTS of time to kill in the evenings). Couldn't put it down, lots of twists, kept messing with my mind. I'd heard several times the ending wasn't satisfying. I concur.