Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Phil

Phil
PostSun Jun 22, 2014 4:09 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
ust devoured "Gone Girl" in about 2 long sessions
SO GOOOOD! Coming out as a movie. Dark Places.... just as awesome. I started Sharp Objects but needed to take a break .. FLynn's writing too intense.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 06, 2014 10:54 pm 
Phil wrote:
ust devoured "Gone Girl" in about 2 long sessions
SO GOOOOD! Coming out as a movie. Dark Places.... just as awesome. I started Sharp Objects but needed to take a break .. FLynn's writing too intense.
I'll hold off for a while but I might try something else by Flynn later. I am curious about the movie version. Flynn wrote the screenplay and I just saw something indicating she makes some changes from the way it all went down in the book.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 06, 2014 10:57 pm 
Just finished "Moneyball" by Michael Lewis. Saw the movie version previously. I enjoyed both the book and the movie even though I don't follow Major League Baseball at all. Maybe things have changed some since the book was written but it's kind of mind numbing that so many baseball insiders were so absolutely opposed to there being a better way of evaluating talent and spending money wisely, despite the fact that the A's were doing it year after year.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 2:49 pm 
Into the Silence by Wade Davis The Great War, Mallory, and The Conquest of Everest "The definitive story of the British adventurers who survived the trenches of World War 1 and went on to risk their lives climbing Mount Everest"

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 6:00 am 
A recent kayak trip to the Orkney Islands piqued my interest in the famous Orcadian explorer John Rae. The book Fatal Passage-The untold story of Scotsman John Rae, the Arctic adventurer who discovered the fate of Franklin by Ken McGoogan delivers a riveting biography of the man who learned arctic travel practices from the Esquimaux a full generation before they were adopted by other European and American explorers. McGoogan successfully vindicates John Rae who was vilified during his lifetime for exposing the cannabalism of the desperate men within the Franklin expedition. The recounting of this remarkable story is thoroughly researched and delivered in an intriguing manner.

mike

mike
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 7:34 am 
I was just turned on to this book by the friendly bookseller in Stromness.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 am 
Glad that you got to enjoy the beautiful harbour town of Stromness. Our ferry arrived and sailed from there. All of the Hudson Bay Company ships as well as Captain Cook's Endeavour, Discovery, and Resolution refilled their fresh water casks from the well within the town. I did not have the time to visit John Rae's birthplace just outside of Stromness however. I did manage to visit the Saint Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall and view his gravesite and memorial there. I have already ordered my next read, a book entitled Frozen in Time that offers an historical analysis of the ill-fated Franklin expedition.

mike

mike
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 am 
We arrived via John 'o Groats. Departed to Scrabster.
Quote:
Frozen in Time
I have that one. A bit dry if I remember but good photos etc. Also have a copy of Thirty Years in the Arctic Regions JE Potter & Co 1859

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 1:40 pm 
Finally got my hands on "The Boys in the Boat." Comes highly recommended by pretty much everybody in my family. It's about some rowers from UW that competed in the 1936 Olympics. Rowing is just the backdrop, apparently it's an interesting look at the history of that era.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 3:24 pm 
Frozen in Time-Unlocking the Secrets of the Franklin Expedition is coauthored by Owen Beattie and John Geiger. You do not have to read the entire 180 page book. I will save you some time. Lead poisoning contributed to the fatigue and deconditioning of the ill-fated arctic expedition comprised of 134 men. Three bodies were buried and frozen in the permafrost allowing exhumation and autopies to be performed. The analysis revealed lead levels twenty times the acceptable high end of allowance. The use of solder as a tin can sealant was not banned by the British until 1890. The contents of the book could have been condensed into an informative article for the Smithsonian magazine.

UGH

UGH
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 4:06 pm 
Von Braun: Dreamer of Space, Engineer of War by Michael Neufeld http://www.amazon.com/Von-Braun-Dreamer-Engineer-Vintage/dp/0307389375/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DCB8WSGG7JATPFAQRZ0 Most of us have heard of Werner von Braun, or just "von Braun." Few of us realize that this brilliant German-born rocket engineer was primarily responsible for designing and managing production of the Saturn V rocket, which propelled Neil Armstrong to the moon in Apollo 11. Very well researched biography of this gifted scientist.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 10:13 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
"...the Franklin Expedition..."
It is rather curious that with the backing of the British Crown and all that came with it and the best "modern technology" of the day (coupled with a tragic lack of leadership and an overabundance of arrogance), the Franklin Expedition resulted in no more than a huge waste of materials and human life, while poor Amundsen, fleeing from the wolf at the door in a little fishing boat, managed to pull off what nobody else could do.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 22, 2014 3:41 pm 
Toni wrote:
Finally got my hands on "The Boys in the Boat." Comes highly recommended by pretty much everybody in my family. It's about some rowers from UW that competed in the 1936 Olympics. Rowing is just the backdrop, apparently it's an interesting look at the history of that era.
That's been on my list for awhile, everyone I know who's read this book, raves about it!!
It was really good, it lived up to all the good reviews I'd heard about it.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 22, 2014 3:43 pm 
I blew thru the Hunger Games series fairly quickly. Now I'm reading "Divergent," the first in another YA sci fi trilogy. Didn't see the movie yet, I will soon after I finish reading it.

Phil

Phil
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 8:46 am 
Just finished a great one by Joe Lansdale. The Thicket You might know of his story Bubba Ho Tep that was adapted for a movie some time ago. Some of Lansdale's stuff is pretty disgusting but this book is toned down quite a bit. Great humor and engaging characters...highly recommended.