Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 10:50 am 
I remember Frozen in Time as a children's picture book (not sure if this is the condensed version) -- there are some macabre photos of exhumed sailors at Beachy Island. Good read.
Mike Collins wrote:
Frozen in Time-Unlocking the Secrets of the Franklin Expedition ... The use of solder as a tin can sealant was not banned by the British until 1890.
Note how long it took to ban tetraethyl lead as a gasoline additive, and lead paint, in the U.S. The danger of lead paint was well understood fairly early in the 20th Century. The European response was to ban it promptly; the U.S. response was the Dutch Boy ad campaign.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
PDX Papa

PDX Papa
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 8:21 pm 
We just got back from Glacier National Park. The two books at the top of my stack are Colter by Rick Bass and Glacier: A Natural History Guide by David Rockwell. No fiction at the moment.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Aug 01, 2014 11:15 am 
The current global concern about ebola echoes the intense concern surrounding yellow fever in earlier years. Over 5,000 deaths from yellow fever occured in Memphis alone in 1878. Globally the disease still claims 30,000 deaths a year. The American Plague-The Untold Story of Yellow Fever, The Epidemic That Shaped Our History uses the Memphis epidemic as the foundation for her masterful treatise on the subject. The author, Molly Caldwell Crosby, lives in Memphis, where her visit to a potter's field of 1,500 of those victims perhaps spawned her meticulous research and development of this captivating book.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Aug 01, 2014 4:57 pm 
Just finished "The Emperor of all Maladies" It is the biography of cancer. wonderful reading, Dr Mukerjee has a beautiful clear style which is enormously readable

happy heathen
Goonies never die

happy heathen
Goonies never die
PostSat Aug 02, 2014 6:42 am 
Sea Wolf by Jack London.

"The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Aug 15, 2014 4:00 pm 
It was exactly sixty-one years ago at this time that the American Karakoram Expedition made their attempt to summit K2. K2-The Savage Mountain by Bob Bates and Charles Houston MD chronicles that epic expedition. The tension is as strong as that on the rope used for the belay by Schoening when describing their heroic descent. The book is dedicated to Art Gilkey whose body has never been found after his fatal fall on the peak during the same expedition. The book rightly deserves its accolade as a mountaineering classic.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 9:10 am 
I just finished reading The Last Season by Eric Blehm. What a compelling read! up.gif It tells the story of Randy Morgenson, an experienced backcountry ranger in Sequoia-Kings Canyon Natl. Park who went missing from the Bench Lake area while on patrol in July 1996... paranoid.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
gb

gb
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 10:49 am 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
I just finished reading The Last Season by Eric Blehm. What a compelling read! up.gif It tells the story of Randy Morgenson, an experienced backcountry ranger in Sequoia-Kings Canyon Natl. Park who went missing from the Bench Lake area while on patrol in July 1996... paranoid.gif
That's close to Roswell, isn't it?

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 5:27 pm 
I recently finished reading Xenocide (part of the Ender series by Orson Scott Card). It was good, but not as great as Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead. It did make me want to see how the series concludes in Children of the Mind.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 6:04 pm 
I'm halfway through Francis Fukuyama's The Origins of Political Order. It's a bit of a slog at times. For relief, I'm reading Jo Nesbo's The Bat.

Stella

Stella
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 9:28 pm 
The Last Season is a bittersweet story. I found it a great read and thought of Randy Morgenson while backpacking this summer in the Sierra.

Toni

Toni
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 9:38 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
It's in the mail, forgot about this story. thanks for your views.

There is no Planet B
gb

gb
PostWed Aug 20, 2014 8:07 am 
I've read several books this summer; Beyond the High Himalyas by William O. Douglas, the great Supreme Court Justice. This is the story of an adventurous trek into the Ladakh region of the Himalaya as likely one of the first recreational visitors in 1953. Douglas was very astute and studious in his observations of native people and customs. The Cadillac Desert by Mark Reisner, a history and narrative on water in the Southwest. Reisner details the history of the Bureau of Reclamation and Army Corps of Engineers that built irrigation projects and dams primarily in the west. An informative but mostly dry book. Basin and Range by John McPhee, a detailing and personal story about the geology of Basin and Range country and the rest of the SW. Although well written and interesting, the book is dated as the concept of Continental Drift that was introduced has long since been widely accepted. I had previously read this book many years ago. I am also re-reading Edward Abbey's Abbey's Road, saving this one for backpacking fare. This book is a collection of stories of different natures so that one can easily pick up the book and read any chapter. Edward Abbey is my favorite author as he weaves appreciation and knowledge of nature with a great blend of storytelling and humor. I wish there was another author I'd appreciate as much as Edward Abbey.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Aug 21, 2014 8:36 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
Phil wrote:
mike wrote:
I'm usually a nonfiction reader but just finished Iain Banks' Surface Detail
Sad news about the great man Banks News
frown.gif
Just finished reading Banks' final SF book, The Hydrogen Sonata. Another fantastic offering. Such a shame that there will be no more...may he rest in peace.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Aug 21, 2014 10:56 am 
"Ender's Game." I'm a big fan of sci fi movies but for some reason don't read much sci fi. I thought the adaptation was decent. About 1/3 of the way thru the book. They had to cut out so much to make it into a movie.