Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 24, 2014 2:58 pm 
Really enjoyed "Ender's Game." Got a handful of books on wait lists from the library, so I went in to browse today and pick out some reading material. Fairly unintentionally keeping the sci fi theme going. Got Asimov's "I, Robot" and Wiliam Gibson's "Pattern Recognition."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Aug 25, 2014 6:42 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Really enjoyed "Ender's Game."
Enders Game is great, and the sequels are also worth reading.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 12, 2014 12:41 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
I just finished reading The Last Season by Eric Blehm. What a compelling read! up.gif It tells the story of Randy Morgenson, an experienced backcountry ranger in Sequoia-Kings Canyon Natl. Park who went missing from the Bench Lake area while on patrol in July 1996... paranoid.gif
Just finished this up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Toni

Toni
PostFri Sep 12, 2014 1:03 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
I just finished reading The Last Season by Eric Blehm. What a compelling read! up.gif It tells the story of Randy Morgenson, an experienced backcountry ranger in Sequoia-Kings Canyon Natl. Park who went missing from the Bench Lake area while on patrol in July 1996... paranoid.gif
Just finished this up.gif up.gif
Just finished this 2 days ago, so good!! W/O giving anything away, I couldn't get the dog "Seeker" out of my mind as I kept reading......

There is no Planet B
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 12, 2014 2:20 pm 
Blue Plague: Decisions.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 6:55 pm 
Just started a historical fiction "Deep Creek" about the massacre of some Chinese miners in Hell's Canyon and ensuing cover up by the locals. I only learned about that pathetic part of our history recently thanks to a cousin. Haven't got far yet but the book seems promising so far.

Toni

Toni
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 7:38 pm 
Just received "13 Hours in Benghazi"

There is no Planet B
Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 10:06 pm 
Fly the Biggest Piece Back by Steve Smith The story of Johnson flying service.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 8:47 am 
Plato's Republic, Shaman's Crossing, Great Expectations.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Sep 21, 2014 4:47 pm 
We Were Not Summer Soldiers-The Indian War Diary of Plympton J. Kelly 1855-1856 is a personal narrative of a volunteer who fought during the conflicts with the Walla Walla, Cayuse, and Yakama Indian nations. As a diary, it is primary reference material. As such it is particularly gripping to read his words "Yesterday peu peu Mox Mox [a tribal leader] was taken up by Dr. Shaw and his ears cut off and to day he has been taken out and subject to further indignities". The import of those words can only bring revulsion for the brutality involved by the participants. Those responsible aren't al qaeda or ISIS but US soldiers and their volunteers. The book offers an original document for a better understand for the history of our relationship with the First Nations of Washington.

mike

mike
PostMon Sep 22, 2014 3:50 pm 

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Sep 22, 2014 7:11 pm 
Mike Collins, that sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm reading the lighter side of our native Americans. It's a compilation called Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest, by Ella E. Clark. Ella obtained oral stories from NW tribal members in 1953, and they are beautiful to read. Before a story begins, she might explain how portions were told in song or accompanied by hand-clapping to simulate ocean waves, for instance. The legends include stories about how the constellations were formed, what clouds are, how mountains were formed, how an annoying medicine man was dealt with, etc. (Glacier Peak was originally in the Wenatchee area, by the way).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Phil

Phil
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 7:30 am 
Joe Abercrombie's latest!

gb

gb
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 3:25 pm 
I’ve just read The Wolverine Way by Doug Chadwick and it is a terrific book. Not only do you learn a lot about Wolverines from the author who was a volunteer in a recent 5-6 year Wolverine study in Glacier National Park (see the PBS video Chasing the Phantom (Wolverines): http://video.pbs.org/video/1642358743/ but you will come to appreciate why those people who do research on these amazing creatures develop such a vested interest in them. Here is a quote from the book which illustrates both the writing style and one particularly amazing Wolverine (M3),
Quote:
I’d never really grasped the dimensions of the Glacier Wolverine Project before, I suddenly realized, never appreciated just how amazing the technological advances that underpin modern wildlife rearch have become. I’d never seen the computerized choreographies of electrons dancing from Earth to space and back again for the nigh-miraculous extensions of human senses and physical abilities that they are, never given much thought to how quickly we have come to take such inventions for granted, and never, ever, for all my admiration of wolverines, truly understood what a breathtaking invention each one of these life forms is. “Holy sh##! He summited Mt. Cleveland!” (The park’s highest peak at 10,466 feet)” “And he did the last forty-nine hundred feet straight up in ninety minutes.” “Yuh. In frickin’ January.” “All riiiight! We’ve got him traveling with M23 for a while first. (Copeland {lead scientist} had also sent the movements of the yearling son, adding them to the map.) Identical times and locations.” “After climbing Cleveland he goes way up into Waterton Lakes. First he crosses into British Columbia, then into Alberta. No wonder we couldn’t find him. His territory’s several hundred square miles.” Mr. Badass had gone international.
Quote:
M3 didn’t choose any of the routes that humans, goats, or bears have followed. Passing near Whitecrow Glacier, he blasted straight up the mountain’s soaring south face, a cliffy exposure with the shape of a logarhytmic curve, becoming ever closer to vertical near the top. The walls would make for a dangerous technical climb in the best of summer conditions. M3 bagged the summit by this route in midwinter when the face was a solid, icy, white barricade - a solo first ascent so impressive that it won M3 a bit of fame as word of his accomplishment got out.
Wolverines are simply amazing, tough, tenacious, athletic, and yet what was not known before this study, also social within their extended families.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 4:00 pm 
too embarrassed to claim that i read 50 Shades of Grey...well, read the trilogy even embarassedlaugh.gif finished Gone Girl, whew! ending leaves you 'thinking' also finished Sycamore Row, John Grisham. continuation of the character Jake Brigance, from A Time to Kill. my brain is tired tongue.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss