Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Toni

Toni
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 4:29 pm 
bobbi wrote:
my brain is tired tongue.gif
That is some heavy reading for sure!! Maybe a little brain-break is in order before you see "Gone Girl,"(if you plan to see it) it stays with you and definitely leaves you thinking!

There is no Planet B
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 5:50 pm 
I have read some good books this past season One Summer 1927 wonderful beyond words The Emperor of All Maladies a must read Boys in the Boat An excellent read and a must for anyone who has ever been part of a competitive team, even at works Currently reading Natural Grace by William Dietrich. small essays on the natural history of Pacific Northwest

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 6:18 pm 
I read books 2 and 3 of the Divergent trilogy recently. Overall enjoyable, the overarching futuristic dystopian story line is interesting. However a love sick 16 year old girl constantly fighting and making up with her boyfriend is nauseating and the momentum completely died for me every time the focus became on that. I guess that's what I get for reading YA stuff. I had a similar issue with the Hunger Games series. I'm currently reading "Ender's Shadow." It stands alone, but it's a companion piece to "Ender's Game." The 2 basically parallel each other, one is told from Ender's perspective and the other from Bean's. I found both to be fascinating. Fortunately the protagonists in those books are young enough that dating and the opposite sex are non-issues.

gb

gb
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 7:04 pm 
meandering Wa wrote:
Currently reading Natural Grace by William Dietrich. small essays on the natural history of Pacific Northwest
I'd like to hear your analysis when you finish. The subject matter is appealing to me.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Oct 18, 2014 3:27 pm 
Last week's Seattle Antiquarian Bookfair introduced me to Pioneer Days on Puget Sound by Arthur A. Denny. It is a delightful book that takes the reader from Denny's beginning in Illinois to Alki and the first years in Seattle. I paused to reflect when reading the following-"The first settlement was made on the Snoqualmine [sic] river, on the prairie above the falls, by the Kellogg Brothers, in the spring of 1858, followed in the summer by J.W. Borst. Their only means of transportation at that time was by canoe from Seattle, by way of the Sound and Snohomish River. There was not a house to be seen on the whole voyage between Salmon Bay and their little settlement on the Snoqualmie." The book offers glimpses of a world now gone.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSat Oct 18, 2014 4:05 pm 
gb wrote:
meandering Wa wrote:
Currently reading Natural Grace by William Dietrich. small essays on the natural history of Pacific Northwest
I'd like to hear your analysis when you finish. The subject matter is appealing to me.
I liked the book. It is derived from his newspaper articles, usually in the Sunday magazine. A simple conversational style. Some glaring editing ( spelling) errors. relaxing, easy read. Like talking to a friend I learned some new things particularly about geoduck, crab , geology and tides. For a more in -depth and scholarly book, look for "Natural History of Puget Sound Country" by Kruckeberg

Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostSat Oct 18, 2014 5:17 pm 
The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert. It's us, of course. I got so depressed reading about the butchering of the last of the great auks that I had to stop and read a nice Henning Mankell. Wallander is such a depressed character you can't help but feel better in comparison!

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Oct 18, 2014 5:47 pm 
House of Pain(Collected essays) by Laurence Gonzalez. When he was a young boy, Laurence's mom told him, "Son, life is a bitch." So, he compiles this interesting series of biographical narratives on an eclectic group of folks living on the edge....stunt pilots, 9-1-1 survivors, an old school psych. hospital, and my fave that I'm using with my high school students is a bad ass neurosurgeon(female) in Chicago. His description of brain surgery almost requires a parent permission slip it's so intense. Tom

mike

mike
PostSat Oct 18, 2014 5:57 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
Last week's Seattle Antiquarian Bookfair
Damn! missed it again...

mehitabel
archyologist

mehitabel
archyologist
PostSun Oct 19, 2014 8:52 am 
Gutenberg's apprentice by Alix Christie. Exciting historical fiction, lovely writing.

toujours gai toujours gai
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun Oct 19, 2014 9:20 am 
Reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. (i've read his 'border trilogy' and The Road and No Country for Old Men, but this my first foray into his older stuff). ....this is one dark, dark read....

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 6:17 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I'm currently reading "Ender's Shadow." It stands alone, but it's a companion piece to "Ender's Game." The 2 basically parallel each other, one is told from Ender's perspective and the other from Bean's. I found both to be fascinating.
"Shadow" was probably even better than "Game." There is a series of books that follow Bean after the war with the aliens ends and struggle among factions for control on Earth begins. Got my hands on the next book in line. I really like Card's writing. It's too bad the movie adaptation of "Game" flopped last year, not likely to see any more of his stuff come to the big screen.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 8:23 pm 
I haven't read any of the books staring Bean, I'll have to put them on my long and neglected reading list lol! I hadn't heard that the movie flopped, I personally thought it was a great adaptation.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 10:40 pm 
I liked the adaptation as well. I didn't get the impression it did well enough at the box office to garner sequels. Studios are snapping up anything they can get their hands on in sci fi and fantasy that has teen or pre-teen protagonists. If it's a hit, they can franchise it. If not, they move on to the next one. I think all of the Bean novels have Shadow in the title. The one I have now is "Shadow of the Hegemon."

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 12:33 pm 
River near the Sea - An Ethnohistory of the Queets River Valley by Jacilee Wray, Anthropologist, Olympic National Park - October 19, 2014 - paperback - 642 pages - signed by the author. Hopefully this document will be made available for online viewing in the near future. I feel privileged and honored to have been able in my own small way to help Jacilee put together what appears to be the first complete, comprehensive, and definitive history of the peopling and subsequent "re-wilding" of the Queets River Valley in what is now Olympic National Park. Brian

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."