Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Jan 13, 2015 1:07 am 
Currently reading Malcolm Bates' book on Three Fingers; first thing I've read in a long, long time.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 13, 2015 9:25 am 
Dark Titan - Thomas Watson

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Phil

Phil
PostTue Jan 13, 2015 12:01 pm 
This guy: C Beuhlman I read Necromancers House and Between Two Fires. Genre = horror....fantasy? I dunno, he's awesome.

mike

mike
PostTue Jan 13, 2015 12:39 pm 
Book by a neighbor.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 12:43 am 
I'm currently delving into the collected works of H.P. Lovecraft, who was known as the father of modern horror. I find his short stories to be much in the same vein as H.G. Wells and Jules Verne, although of course Lovecraft's work was more fantasy than science fiction (though one of my favorite stories is "the colour of space", a singularly terrify story of an alien encounter). I've noticed that in nearly all of Lovecraft's tales the protagonist goes mad, and whatever evil is responsible for driving him to said madness is only ever temporarily defeated, banished or weakened but never totally destroyed. I've heard that Guillermo Del Toro is making a movie out of Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness", so I'm interested to read that story when I come to it.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 9:22 am 
Collapse-How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed is written by the Pulitzer prize winning author Jared Diamond. He captivates the reader with his review of historical societies and tragedies such as Easter Island, Rwanda, and the Mayan civilization. His words remind us of our tenuous grasp with normalcy today. His concluding chapter proposes that we are all living in a polder which is the Dutch word for land below sea level that is dry only because of dikes. Our choices made today will decide what our society will become in the future. The writer is passionate about Mother-Earth with his appeal that we avoid the blunders made by those before us.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 9:54 am 
"The Wise Man's Fear" Book two in The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Its a trilogy and book three was supposed to have been released last year but apparently rewriting/editing is taking longer than expected. At least the story is completed and book three will be released. Really well written and paced, lots of fascinating detail. This and book one, "The Name of the Wind" have both kept me up way past bedtime on several nights.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 10:11 am 
Unbroken. The book is good. Makes me want to see the movie, but would probably be disappointed.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 11:20 am 
Building Harlequin's Moon, by Larry Niven and Brenda Cooper...superb. Definitely, Larry Niven's best recent work that I've read, although I (and the review I link to above) suspect that Brenda Cooper did most of the work. Everything a hard SF book should be. The premise: Humanity tries to escape Earth to flee run-amok AIs, when it ends up getting marooned well short of its destination, its antimatter fuel depleted. A 60,000 year layover ensues, as humanity first builds a moon, then terraforms it, and then sets up the infrastructure to develop more antimatter. Despite the long timescale the book was an extremely fast read. Highly recommended.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 11:50 am 
"Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman" Famous for it's autobiographical anecdotes. I'd never read it, found it at Half Price books. Great stories

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Toni

Toni
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 3:22 pm 
mtn.climber wrote:
Unbroken. The book is good. Makes me want to see the movie, but would probably be disappointed.
Save your money and buy another good book.

There is no Planet B
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 4:01 pm 
I've started (again) to read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I had started it years ago but stopped after I got through four or five books and realized the rest wouldn't be out until years later. Who knows when the next Game of Thrones book will be out (GRRM takes forever to write the dang things). Anyways the 14 book WoT is finished being written now so I know I can read a complete series.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jan 23, 2015 4:17 pm 
Notices & Voyages of the Famed Quebec Mission to the Pacific Northwest was published by the Oregon Historical Society in 1956 is a compilation of correspondence from Fathers Blanchet, Demers, and Bolduc back to their diocese in Quebec. Primary reference material is rare from this early time in the Oregon Territory. The black robes were often the first non-native people seen by the First Nations. As the words were written by priests the mentioning of baptisms and sacraments occupy the pages. But anthropological findings are dispersed in the text. When speaking of the funerary practices along the Cowlitz River Father Blanchet writes ""If...the pt were to die, he has not sooner closed his eyes before they bandage them for him with chains of glass beads or other material. They then fill his nostrils with haiqua [a type of shell], then they dress him in his best clothes to which they add an additional covering...The body is laid face down [in a canoe], the head following the course of the river, in canoe placed on the cross-pieces of which we have spoken. The canoe is covered with mats, and the sepulture is complete." The book offers a vision into a world that has largely vanished but nonetheless fascinating.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostFri Jan 23, 2015 4:49 pm 
touron

touron
PostWed Feb 04, 2015 12:58 am 
Looks like To Kill a Mockingbird will have a sequel

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.