Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Toni

Toni
PostThu Feb 05, 2015 9:06 pm 
"The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbs Out The Window and Disappears" up.gif A fun little book about a reluctant centenarian who decides not to celebrate his 100th birthday the 'home' has planned for him later that day. It's a smartly written, witty, fun adventure...it's not too late to start over....... By Swedish author Jonas Jonasson ('09)

There is no Planet B
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Feb 05, 2015 11:26 pm 
touron wrote:
Looks like To Kill a Mockingbird will have a sequel
I've been wondering about that, the manuscript was apparently found by her lawyer and is now being published by him. It doesn't seem too unlikely that he might well have wrote the book himself to capitalize on the popularity of the original. Kind of like what Tolkein's son has tried to do (without much success).

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Feb 06, 2015 12:18 am 
I'm still working my way through H.P. Lovecraft's collected works. Right now I'm half way through "At the Mountains of Madness", one of his most intriguing stories. It follows the journey of an Antarctic archaeological expedition and relates the terrible things they found there. Interestingly this and other of his stories are responsible for inspiring everyone from authors and movie directors to conspiracy theorists and other lunatics who seriously believe that his stories were true. This is perhaps because his works were based upon real places, events, and the beliefs of real life cults and religions. This and his marvelous imagination makes them believable despite the crazy stuff they contain. Lovecraft himself was an unusual and reclusive individual to say the least. His father wen't mad and died soon after in an asylum when Lovecraft was a child, and his mother suffered a similar fate years later. He rarely worked, instead writing stories for magazines for which he recieved little pay. He lived for much of his life on his inheritance, and his stories were not popular until decades after his death. I'm looking forward to the upcoming movie based off of "At the Mountains of Madness". It's being directed by guillermo del toro, and has a budget of over 100 million dollars, so I'm hoping it will do a good job of translating the book to film.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Phil

Phil
PostFri Feb 06, 2015 9:22 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I'm looking forward to the upcoming movie based off of "At the Mountains of Madness".
up.gif Thanks for the heads up.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Feb 06, 2015 11:07 am 
Phil wrote:
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I'm looking forward to the upcoming movie based off of "At the Mountains of Madness".
up.gif Thanks for the heads up.
Don't get too excited just yet, Del Toro has a lot on his plate: Pacific Rim 2, a horror film called Crimson Peak, an animated Pacific Rim series, an adaptation of Pinocchio, and perhaps Hellboy 3. It is likely he won't start on At the Mountains of Madness until 2017 when Pacific Rim releases, So I would expect At the Mountains of Madness to come out in 2018 or 2019. It's a long time to wait, but at the least the project isn't dead. Del Toro began work on the movie in 2004, but Universal shut it down because of the high cost in 2011. The success of Pacific Rim, and his involvement with Legendary Pictures are responsible for the projects resuscitation.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Feb 10, 2015 12:43 pm 
I've been on a dry spell with books lately. Currently working on "The Martian" by Andy Weir, soon to be a motion picture starring Matt Damon. The main character is stranded on Mars due to a mishap during a mission. Most of the book is his log entries as he explains what he's doing to try to survive long term on his own (the next scheduled mission isn't for 4 years, and he has no capability for communicating). While some of that is interesting, it drags a bit. Far more interesting is when the NASA people figure out he's still alive based on some satellite imagery and begin frantic planning for trying to rescue him, but that's been less than a 1/4 of the book so far.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Feb 12, 2015 4:45 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Currently working on "The Martian" by Andy Weir
Book is picking up momentum. It's a bit like the Tom Hanks movie where he's stranded on an island. It's tough for one character to carry a story entirely by themself, but it can be done. There is more involvement with NASA back on earth as communication was established.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 18, 2015 1:16 pm 
Almost done with "The Martian." I continue to not enjoy the parts of the book that are the log entries from the main character as much as other elements. There's just way too much exposition, the author seems to be showing off how much he knows about physics and mechanics. Plus there are way too many things that go wrong. It's just too much.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 6:26 pm 
Finished "The Martian." The upcoming movie adaptation has potential. Plenty of drama and action. They will obviously cut out much of the exposition and internal dialogue/log entries that got a bit tedious.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 6:12 pm 
Toni wrote:
up.gif
Just got this from the library the other day and have started it. Not very cheery so far...

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostWed Feb 25, 2015 8:06 am 
'The Family', 2002 updated edition by Ed Sanders. Should be read in conjunction with 2012's 'Manson: the life and times of Charles Manson' by Jeff Guinn. Oooeeeoo...

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Mar 01, 2015 4:45 pm 
Between 1875 and 1878 some 70 Plains Indians were imprisoned at Fort Marion in St. Augustine, Florida. Two of the Native American prisoners, Making Medicine and Zotom, made drawings that chronicled their life on the plains as well as experiences of their captivity. Warrior Artists by Herman J. Viola is a compendium of fifty of those art works. The so called "ledger-art" offers beautiful drawings that bring alive their world of buffalo hunts and village life now gone.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Mar 07, 2015 3:22 pm 
A seasonal park ranger named Randy Morgenson was adept at finding people who were lost in the Sierras. Then one day he went missing. The Last Season by Eric Blehm recounts both the events leading up to his disappearance and the search effort itself. His skillful weaving of the text won him the National Outdoor Book Award. I won't spoil the read by revealing the end. You will greatly enjoy the book with each unfolding chapter of the mystery.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Mar 07, 2015 4:49 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
A seasonal park ranger named Randy Morgenson was adept at finding people who were lost in the Sierras. Then one day he went missing. The Last Season by Eric Blehm recounts both the events leading up to his disappearance and the search effort itself. His skillful weaving of the text won him the National Outdoor Book Award. I won't spoil the read by revealing the end. You will greatly enjoy the book with each unfolding chapter of the mystery.
That's a good one. up.gif

Toni

Toni
PostSat Mar 07, 2015 6:51 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Mike Collins wrote:
That's a good one. up.gif
up.gif Very good book.

There is no Planet B