Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Mar 10, 2015 9:40 am 
I bogged down on "The Wild Truth" (still trying to finish it, but I can only handle so much abusiveness at a time) so I moved on to "Red Rising" by Pierce Brown. Took a little while to get into, but once I did I was hooked. I read about half of it last night. Another dystopian sci fi novel. Gets compared to Hunger Games but I think it's got more in common with Ender's Game (military strategy, leadership, etc.) plus some Game of Thrones maybe. Set on Mars with a repressive caste system. Very extensive world building by the author. Planned trilogy, second one (Golden Son) came out the beginning of this year. Hollywood snapped up the movie rights nearly instantaneously, probably still a year or two from hitting the silver screen. Highly recommend.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Toni

Toni
PostTue Mar 10, 2015 10:56 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I bogged down on "The Wild Truth" (still trying to finish it, but I can only handle so much abusiveness at a time)
I agree with you, hard to digest at times, such dysfunction, and more about her struggles last half of book. Tho I gave this book a up.gif , now after reading it, and thinking about it some, the thumb would go sideways.... I see John Krakauer has a new book coming out....Missoula I'll have to think about that one.

There is no Planet B
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Mar 16, 2015 6:18 pm 
Finished "The Martian." The upcoming movie adaptation has potential. Plenty of drama and action. They will obviously cut out much of the exposition and internal dialogue/log entries that got a bit tedious.
Just goes to show - "different strokes for different folks." I thoroughly enjoyed all parts of this book and found the exposition entertaining and fascinating. By the time Watney sets out on his journey I couldn't put it down and stayed up way too late Finishing it.

SteelheadTed

SteelheadTed
PostMon Mar 16, 2015 7:14 pm 
I just finished Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. A book about Steinbeck's drive around the US in the early 60's with his dog Charley. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've read a little about the book and a common criticism is the book may be more fiction than non. Even if that were true there is much to like. In describing one scene he found upon entering a roadhouse restaurant in New England, "The customers were folded over their coffee cups like ferns". I've seen that very site at an early morning breakfast cafe before many a hike in the Olympics!

I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 16, 2015 9:06 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Finished "The Martian." The upcoming movie adaptation has potential. Plenty of drama and action. They will obviously cut out much of the exposition and internal dialogue/log entries that got a bit tedious.
Just goes to show - "different strokes for different folks." I thoroughly enjoyed all parts of this book and found the exposition entertaining and fascinating. By the time Watney sets out on his journey I couldn't put it down and stayed up way too late Finishing it.
The author is clearly a very smart guy. Knows plenty about physics, mechanics, engineering, chemistry, etc. Much of it was over my head. If a person finds those subject intriguing, makes sense they would enjoy the author going into detail about it. Maybe I'm just not clever enough.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 16, 2015 9:08 pm 
SteelheadTed wrote:
I just finished Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. A book about Steinbeck's drive around the US in the early 60's with his dog Charley. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've read a little about the book and a common criticism is the book may be more fiction than non. Even if that were true there is much to like. In describing one scene he found upon entering a roadhouse restaurant in New England, "The customers were folded over their coffee cups like ferns". I've seen that very site at an early morning breakfast cafe before many a hike in the Olympics!
If you enjoyed that, you might check out William Least Heat-Moon's "Blue Highways." Definitely in the same vein.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Mar 16, 2015 10:11 pm 
The author is clearly a very smart guy. Knows plenty about physics, mechanics, engineering, chemistry, etc. Much of it was over my head. If a person finds those subject intriguing, makes sense they would enjoy the author going into detail about it. Maybe I'm just not clever enough.
Hey, no criticism intended. Just pointing out how some people like Neapolitan, some like Rocky Road, and some like plain old vanilla. No accounting for taste, you know. And it's equally likely I'm just a huge nerd.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 12:25 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Hey, no criticism intended. Just pointing out how some people like Neapolitan, some like Rocky Road, and some like plain old vanilla. No accounting for taste, you know. And it's equally likely I'm just a huge nerd.
No worries, I didn't take it as criticism. No doubt people have different interests and different tastes. Maybe you are a nerd, but being geeky is the new cool I think.

SteelheadTed

SteelheadTed
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 7:35 am 
If you enjoyed that, you might check out William Least Heat-Moon's "Blue Highways." Definitely in the same vein.
Sweet, I'll add that to the list. I'm on a travel/outdoor adventure reading kick, might as well keep it going.

I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it.
Toni

Toni
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 8:52 am 
Finally picked up "Boys in the Boat" edit: read a chapter, then put it back on my shelf to read several other's instead. Currently "Dreamland" by Sam Quinones....

There is no Planet B
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 9:23 am 
Dark Titan Thomas Watson

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Mar 23, 2015 12:30 pm 
I often listen to audio books on the way to hiking. If it ends, drop it off and pick up a new one. There is usually a TRL on the way. Oly, Packwood, Hoodsport, Amanda Park. Just finished Sailing From Byzantium: How a Lost Empire Shaped the World, Colin Wells. From the split up of the Roman Empire, and interaction with Greek, Latin, Orthodox, some so-called pagan inquiries, and later, Islamic views. Latest is rise of Moscow, and it's claim to the title Tsar (Caeser). Just starting I am Malala.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Mar 24, 2015 12:25 pm 
Rhodes, The MAking of the Atomic Bomb 1987 Pullitzer, National Book Critics' Circle Award, National Book Award for Nonfiction. Excellent read; doesn't shy from the physics but makes it comprehensible. Pulls in many related threads, such as the apparently inescapable technical and political urge to develop and use ever more barbaric weaponry. I was amazed to learn how fast this stuff happened, and how huge the Manhattan Project was (bigger than the entire US automobile industry). Scary. Don't try this at home, kids.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Mar 24, 2015 12:46 pm 
Win Forever - Pete Carroll

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Mar 24, 2015 12:50 pm 
Tigerman: How is P C`s book; as a diehard fan, I would be interested to know?