Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
glenoid

glenoid
PostTue Mar 24, 2015 6:50 pm 
Hey CT.....I thought you only read maps. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostTue Mar 24, 2015 9:32 pm 
Four Queens: The Provencal Sisters Who Ruled Europe by Nancy Goldstone

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 6:59 am 
Glenoid: Very funny; I can only pour over spring/summer Maps/plans so much..... A Pete Carroll book might actually keep me interested. I think I need to live in a chill place like you and maybe my patience for books will improve!

mike

mike
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 12:22 pm 
Alexander Mackenzie beat Lewis&Clark to the Pacific by 12 years. If that wasn't good enough he took a side trip to the Arctic Ocean too.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 1:35 pm 
mike wrote:
Alexander Mackenzie beat Lewis&Clark to the Pacific by 12 years. If that wasn't good enough he took a side trip to the Arctic Ocean too.
He needed a better PR person apparently. Funny how history always only gives part of the story.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 3:37 pm 
Mackenzie problem was two fold first he was pretty much illiterate so he could not write down his story. Second he was working for the Northwest Company who did not publish their explorations so they would be available to competitors. Lewis and Clark were aware of his trip but it was in established British Canada. They were also aware of Vancouver and Grey's sea voyages they were crossing the unknown once past the Mandan villages but their destination was known. They hoped to get a passage back on a trade ship.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
RichardJ

RichardJ
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 3:47 pm 
Good choice mike. I looked this up on G..Books and read for about an hour. Same account. Very interesting stuff. I just ordered this book.

mike

mike
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 4:50 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
he was pretty much illiterate so he could not write down his story.
Not true at all. He was exceptionally literate. How else to pass the long, dark winter but to read everything he could get his hands on? He even returned to London after his trip to the Arctic Ocean to learn to determine longitude and purchase the required instruments. The original journals which he kept during his travels to the Pacific have been lost and it is his published journal (1801) which I am reading. Original title as posted by RichardJ

RichardJ

RichardJ
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 5:02 pm 
You can find Alexander Mackenzie books on Project Guttenberg. Free ebooks in the US with many authors.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 5:31 pm 
I have read the same Journal and it is quite sparse in description, certainly as compared to Lewis and Clarks. As you can imagine a journal without the knowledge to use navigational instruments is pretty useless. The matter is quite controversial in Canada. There is no doubt, however, that he was the first to cross the continent by land including an inscribed rock near Bella Coola. He became much more educated after his trip.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mike

mike
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 6:53 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Journal and it is quite sparse in description, certainly as compared to Lewis and Clark's.
L&C traveled with a lot of comforts compared to AM and by an easier route. AM made the journey without official backing. He had navigational instruments but they were of mediocre quality since he purchased them himself nor did he have the luxury of time for such pursuits. No surprise that L&C kept better and more accurate records as did several other members of that group. L&C went with the full support of the President. AM struck out on his own initiative.

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 5:27 am 
wolffie wrote:
The MAking of the Atomic Bomb[/url] 1987
Read this when it first came out. Thought it was one of those 'firecracker and damge books'. Saw Table of the Elements on page 50 or so and groaned. However, I stuck it out and it turned out to be one of my favorite reads. Never knew physics before and was fasinated, found myself returning to the Table many times.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 5:56 pm 
Much of my March was spent in Australia with a focus on visiting Aboriginal rock art in Kakadu National Park. A fortnight (a word used often in Australia) of that time was hiking off-trail (there were no trails to go off of) in the heat of their summer. After seeing the sites, the book Journey in Time-The 50,000 year Story of the Aboriginal Rock Art of Arnhem Land served to increase my depth of understanding for the art and gain an appreciation for the vibrancy of the works. Memorable rock art seen were the birthing sites. Birthing sites are always associated with cool water and shade, which are the two most pleasant offerings of the Northern Territory. The rock art showed women delivering babies with the assistance of a midwife partner. Some rock art showed thylacines, which were carnivorous marsupials that have been extinct from the mainland for 4,000 years. The author, George Chaloupka, died several years ago. If you enjoy art then the book is worthy of reading as it shows the genesis of the creative beauty which makes us human.

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Apr 06, 2015 11:14 am 
Currently reading Allegiant (3rd book of the Divergent series) by Veronica Roth Next up is The Homing Instinct by Berndt Heinrich. If you like naturalist authors check him out!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Apr 06, 2015 11:43 am 
Living in the Anthropocene