Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Apr 06, 2015 4:53 pm 
Mightier Than The Sword-Uncle Tom's Cabin and the Battle for America by David S. Reynolds argues how the seminal work by Harriet Beecher Stowe accelerated the rise of abolitionism in the North. Uncle Tom's Cabin was an immensely successful novel which spawned plays, essays and reviews that paved the way for Lincoln's election victory. Reynolds shows how Uncle Tom's Cabin provided the lattice upon which the antislavery movement's growth developed. His richly footnoted text provides an historical foundation for those readers interested in the development of the Civil War.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
T Mary

T Mary
PostTue Apr 14, 2015 7:04 pm 
Just finished A Man Called Ove, which I really enjoyed (http://www.amazon.com/Man-Called-Ove-Novel-ebook/dp/B00GEEB730/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429063140&sr=1-1&keywords=a+man+called+ove). Don't look for action or adventure if you pick it up--just the story of a man called Ove, whose heart was too big, the Cat Annoyance that took over his house, and a neighborhood filled with quirky neighbors who cared. Then I quickly devoured To Kill a Mockingbird for the umpteenth time, because they are releasing Harper Lee's sequel to it in a couple of months. Now looking for the next good read. . .

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 15, 2015 8:09 pm 
After waiting very impatiently for too long, I finally got my hands on Golden Son, the second book in the Red Rising trilogy, from the library. The first one took a little bit to really get good, this one hooked me pretty much right away. I anticipate plowing through it in a few days.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostWed Apr 15, 2015 9:37 pm 
Fire on the Mountain. By John Maclean, whose dad Norman wrote "Young Men and Fire", about the Mann Gulch fire. This one looks at the 1994 fire on Storm King Mountain (CO) that killed 12 firefighters. Lots of errors and bad decisions by various sources led to the tragic ending. My son is a hotshot firefighter, so I have even more reason to read and try to understand all of the events that happened. And pray that something like this (or the Yarnell, AZ fire last season) never happens again.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Phil

Phil
PostThu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
After waiting very impatiently for too long, I finally got my hands on Golden Son, the second book in the Red Rising trilogy, from the library. The first one took a little bit to really get good, this one hooked me pretty much right away. I anticipate plowing through it in a few days.
Funny, last night I just started Red Rising, glad to know Im headed in the right direction.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Apr 16, 2015 9:59 am 
Phil wrote:
Funny, last night I just started Red Rising, glad to know Im headed in the right direction.
Careful, it's addictive stuff. edited--Finished Golden Son. Damn, I don't think I can wait for the author to finish writing the 3rd book, I need it now!

touron

touron
PostSat Apr 18, 2015 10:59 am 
The Lost City of Z by David Grann Sometimes it is better to be an armchair adventurer
Quote:
10/20: Attacked in hammocks by tiny gnat not over 1/10 inch in length; mosquito nets no protection; gnats bite all night allowing no sleep 10/21: Another sleepless night account of blood-sucking gnats 10/22: My body mass of bumps from insect bites, wrists and hands swollen from bites of tiny gnats. 2 nights with almost no sleep--simply terrible...Rain during noon, all afternoon and most of the night. My shoes have been soaked since starting...Worst ticks so far. 10/23: Horrible night with worst biting gnats yet; even smoke of no avail. 10/24: More than half ill from insects. Wrists and hands swollen. Paint Limbs with iodine. 10/25: Arose to find termites covering everything left on the ground...Blood-sucking gnats still with us.
I stopped reading at this point and went and put my bug net on...and then continued reading. bug.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Apr 23, 2015 2:22 am 
John Clarke, Explorer of the Coast Mountains; by Lisa Baile http://www.harbourpublishing.com/title/JohnClarke Readers of this forum would love this book; just read it and highly reccomend it!

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Apr 24, 2015 7:15 pm 
The Breaking Wave (US), Requiem for a Wren elsewhere, Nevil Shute (Norway). Young British Wren bumps up against Australian man amidst the tragedies of war.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Apr 25, 2015 5:41 am 
The Moral Arc

Living in the Anthropocene
wakerobin

wakerobin
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 7:50 pm 
Thru Hiking Will Break Your Heart by Carrot Quinn. It is so good, so, so good and I am only a little ways into it.

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
icedog

icedog
PostThu Apr 30, 2015 6:22 pm 
Alone Together - Why we expect more from technology and less from each other by Sherry Turkle. Fascinating read by MIT prof; covers long arc- 15yrs- of digital life, AI, etc. Been on my reading list for awhile as it came out in 2011. How to be a Victorian- a weirdly compelling and interesting look at the daily life of a Victorian across classes. The level of detail and minutea was mind boggling. A bunch of other less noteworthy books. It's been a long 8+wks recovering from fractured clavicle, but got a lot of good reading time!

ICEDOG
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 01, 2015 12:53 am 
Plague of the Dead. The Morning Star Strain.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri May 01, 2015 8:20 am 
I read "The Alienist" by Caleb Carr not long after it came out in the mid 90's. I've thought of it several times over the years, started reading it again recently. Historical fiction about a team on the cutting edge of forensic science trying to catch a serial killer in New York City just before the turn of the 20th century. Parts of it are gruesome but it's intriguing. Theodore Roosevelt is a minor character, prior to his presidency. The team basically invents the concept of police profiling for an unknown suspect.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue May 12, 2015 12:16 pm 
I took a long break from Orson Scott Card after plowing thru Ender's Game and the Shadow series featuring Bean. Started in again, reading Ender in Exile. It was written much later but is a direct sequel to Ender's Game. Good so far. It dawned on me that one of my favorite elements in these books are email communications between various characters that frequently appear at the beginning of chapters.