Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue May 12, 2015 2:34 pm 
I've been working my way through the Game of Thrones series. On one hand I love how intricately detailed the plot, characters, and world are. On the other I've found several portions too graphic to read! The first three books were the best, I found that the fourth "A feast for crows" didn't live up to the standards of the previous two. It didn't help that for most of the book it followed the characters I found least interesting. You can kind of tell that it gave the author some trouble when you read the 5th book which actually starts at the beginning of the 4th book and has to spend a large portion of time filling in the bits that were left out of "A feast for crows". Despite this I'm finding "A dance of Dragons" to be much more enjoyable than its predecessor so far (I'm only little way into it), it features the best characters and has a plot that moves along at a respectable pace.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed May 13, 2015 6:39 pm 
The Brothers Ashkenazi, I.J. Singer. Translation from the original Yiddish by his son, Joseph.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
touron

touron
PostSat May 23, 2015 11:31 am 
An Elusive Victory: The Battle of the Big Hole by Aubrey L. Haines

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun May 24, 2015 5:54 pm 
Hesman wrote:
The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown. I listened to the audio book version and it was a good listen.
I really enjoyed reading this. up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun May 24, 2015 6:01 pm 
The Long Summer (Just finishing) and The Great Divide (Just starting)

Living in the Anthropocene
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 28, 2015 9:10 pm 
Trying hard to get into Ivan Doig's "Prairie Nocturne," but I'm not sure it's going to happen. I like most of his stuff, but a few just didn't work for me. This sees a return to Scotch Heaven and the Two Medicine country and several familiar characters from some of Doig's best work. This just seems disjointed and not really going anywhere, about 1/3 of the way thru it.

Toni

Toni
PostTue Jun 02, 2015 6:22 pm 
I love puppy stories, saw this at Costco today, true story. Looking fwd to reading.

There is no Planet B
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jun 02, 2015 6:34 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Trying hard to get into Ivan Doig's "Prairie Nocturne," but I'm not sure it's going to happen.
Finally gained some momentum. All it took was some KKK quacks rearing their ugly heads to get the plot actually moving. Angus McCaskill, the main character from "Dancing at the Rascal Fair" (probably my favorite of Doig's) was a minor character in this one. He just had a heart attack and died while out repairing his fence line. It's just a book, but it felt a bit like losing a friend.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jun 03, 2015 11:16 pm 
About 2/3 through book 1 of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. I know it's going to be a long haul, but I'm comforted by the fact that he actually finished the series. I have to wonder whether GRRM has it in him to finish 'A Song of Ice and Fire' before he croaks. I also recently read the first two books of Patrick Rothfuss' 'Kingkiller Chronicle' which are fantastic. He was supposed to release the third and final book in the trilogy last year but no sign of it yet. At least he's a fairly young man so might get it done one of these days.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 1:06 am 
Dark Titan. Sanctioned catastrophe!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 8:42 am 
Bedivere wrote:
About 2/3 through book 1 of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. I know it's going to be a long haul, but I'm comforted by the fact that he actually finished the series.
I had a lot of fun reading the series. I picked it up when he'd only written the first two books, so it was an even longer haul for me! It was touch and go there for a while, when he had his serious car accident, and 3 books still left to write, but he finished in a rush at the end. *whew*

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Conifers

Conifers
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 9:20 am 
Bedivere wrote:
I also recently read the first two books of Patrick Rothfuss' 'Kingkiller Chronicle' which are fantastic. He was supposed to release the third and final book in the trilogy last year but no sign of it yet. At least he's a fairly young man so might get it done one of these days.
These books are great.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jun 11, 2015 12:00 pm 
Went to the library to pick up several items I had on hold and a book jumped out at me--"Trekking Washington" by Mike Woodmansee. I only thumbed thru it, but checked it out and will look at it more closely. A bunch of multi day backpacking trips, some loops, some traverses, covers some great areas.

mike

mike
PostThu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
"Trekking Washington" by Mike Woodmansee
From Skagit Valley

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostMon Jun 15, 2015 7:02 am 
Bedivere wrote:
About 2/3 through book 1 of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series.
If you get through that you'll love the rest. It's kind of like the Hobbit to the Lord of the Rings.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin