Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 8:54 pm 
"One More Step" by Bonner Paddock. He was the first person with cerebral palsy to successfully climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. He then upped the ante by competing in the Kona Ironman triathlon. Inspiring!

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 2:12 pm 
Your Inner Fish-A Journey into the 3.5 Billion Year History of the Human Body by Neil Shubin recounts the evolutionary path of humans. Shubin is a paleontologist who used fascinating detective skills to discover the species Tikataalik whose fossil remains represent the bridge between fish and amphibians. You will view your body with a different perspective once finishing this scientific adventure book.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 5:34 pm 
Mike that is a really good book and there is a video series based on the book on youtube. I lent it to one of my hiking partners and he really liked it. up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 08, 2015 11:57 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I took a long break from Orson Scott Card after plowing thru Ender's Game and the Shadow series featuring Bean. Started in again, reading Ender in Exile. It was written much later but is a direct sequel to Ender's Game. Good so far. It dawned on me that one of my favorite elements in these books are email communications between various characters that frequently appear at the beginning of chapters.
It seems like it was longer ago when I read this. Just started another book in the Ender series--Speaker for the Dead. Enjoying it so far.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jul 13, 2015 3:40 pm 
I plowed thru Gillian Flynn's "Gone Girl" in about 2 days last summer. After a nice long break I just started another of her novels, "Dark Places." Didn't really grab me yesterday when I started but I didn't try very hard. Making more of an effort to get into it today.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Jul 18, 2015 1:57 pm 
The early years of the French Indian War were disastrous for the British. The Siege of Fort William Henry by Ben Hughes thoroughly examines the extant archives and diaries allowing the reader to view this military debacle through the eyes of the participants. The massacre of ~1,300 of the fort's inhabitants after their surrender is the bloody denouement for this siege which took place in 1757. Not really a book to curl up with before going to sleep but an important exploration of this prerevolutionary period.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jul 20, 2015 12:39 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I plowed thru Gillian Flynn's "Gone Girl" in about 2 days last summer. After a nice long break I just started another of her novels, "Dark Places." Didn't really grab me yesterday when I started but I didn't try very hard. Making more of an effort to get into it today.
This wasn't nearly as intriguing as "Gone Girl." It was okay, but not great.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 3:37 pm 
The Tahltan Nation are the First Nations who live in the drainages of the Stikine, Nass, and Skeena Rivers of northwestern British Columbia. They are currently battling Royal Dutch Shell's intrusion into their ancestral lands. In the early 20th century a Scotsman named James Teit learned their language and struggled for their cause with the Canadian government. James Teit was also an early ethnographer in Canada collecting the stories of the Tahltan as well as their traditions. Recording Their Story-James Teit and the Tahltan by Judy Thompson is part biography and part catalog of the artifacts collected by Teit. The book offers a resounding tribute to this remarkable man who was an early activist for the First Nations.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 4:04 pm 
Living in the Anthropocene
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 11, 2015 8:36 pm 
Thanks to a freind giving the heads up on my hero's trilogy of books, and am reading his first of the 3, Forks in the Trail. Jack Ward Thomas was the USFS Chief in the mid-90's and is best known around here for his work on the northern spotted owl studies and recommendations for a northwest forest plan to preserve old growth forests and their ecosystem. This first book is about his early career, beginning with the Texas Game Commission in the 1950's. JWT is an excellent writer - I have read his Journals and some of this other publications. He has a simple, clear style, a distinct voice, and a lot of subtle humor. The next books are about his wilderness adventures and of game hunting and conservation. I'm glad to have these books!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 12, 2015 1:14 am 
Dark Titan. Sanctioned Catastrophe.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostWed Aug 12, 2015 5:49 am 
Water for Elephants. enjoying it very much. an easy read and some pretty interesting insight to the circus life. The author has a fine ,relaxed style and it pulls me forward in the line up The Orchardist Natural History of the Senses

mike

mike
PostWed Aug 12, 2015 9:52 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Thanks to a freind giving the heads up on my hero's trilogy of books,...
And thanks for the heads up on the heads up up.gif the limited edition is tempting...

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Aug 12, 2015 10:17 am 
I purchased the limited edition. I got set #17 up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Aug 12, 2015 2:52 pm 
Undaunted Courage, by Stephen Ambrose I am about halfway through and so far it is a very interesting and full account of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. As far as I can tell I was born way too late...!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.