Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 30, 2015 1:20 pm 
graywolf wrote:
East of the Divide. Great book recommended by a guy named Lee who was camped near us in the Enchantments a few weeks ago.
Yep, have that one in my collection. Interesting to read some history of some of the places I've hiked in. People were there tromping around long before me...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
graywolf

graywolf
PostWed Sep 30, 2015 2:23 pm 
Next up is One Tribe at a Time by Jim Gant. Jim was the subject of the book American Spartan. Just glancing through it has really got my curiousity up.

The only easy day was yesterday...
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 30, 2015 2:59 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Last couple books didn't really grab me. Currently reading "The Queen of the Tearling" by Erika Johansen. First book in a trilogy. Sci fi/fantasy. Enjoying it fairly thoroughly. It has a teenage female main character, so of course it gets compared to Hunger Games, but it's not particularly similar in my mind.
Really enjoyed this. Just started the 2nd book in the trilogy, "The Invasion of the Tearling." Liking it right from the get-go. Put aside the Doig book I was struggling with.

Dante

Dante
PostWed Sep 30, 2015 3:42 pm 
Just finished Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind and started The Unteathered Soul. I also read Professor in the Cage recently. That was interesting, too. I get a lot of good suggestions from this guy. He reads and recommends interesting stuff (most of which is not obviously related to investing).

mike

mike
PostSun Oct 04, 2015 5:22 pm 

Toni

Toni
PostMon Oct 05, 2015 9:00 am 
up.gif up.gif up.gif The Book
And the Movie up.gif up.gif up.gif

There is no Planet B
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 12:54 pm 
I was really excited to read "Last Bus to Wisdom" by Ivan Doig, his last and published posthumously. Finally got it from the library. Off to a really slow start. I keep hoping it will get going, but no luck so far about 50 pages in.
It saddens me to say it, but I think I have to give up on this one. Set it aside for a while, then came back to it. About 125 pages in, it's just doing absolutely nothing for me. I really tried...

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 1:33 pm 
Re-reading this collection of Raymond Chandler's short stories. Interesting to see the seeds of some of his more well-known novels appear here in short-form. --Gray

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Oct 22, 2015 2:20 pm 
Too High & Too Steep-Reshaping Seattle's Topography by David B. Williams recounts the large scale transformations of greater Seattle's landscape. The Denny Regrade, Chittenden locks, and the filling in of the Duwamish tideflats are all reviewed and presented in a manner that will enrich your knowledge about Seattle's topographic history. The author lives in Seattle and sometimes conducts informative walks around downtown Seattle pointing out the fascinating stone used for the buildings. You will be glad to read this book about the area many of us call home.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 5:30 pm 
I really enjoyed Christopher McDougall's "Born to Run." I didn't realize he'd written anything else, my brother recommended "Natural Born Heroes" to me. Good so far. Some interesting WWII history, centered in Crete. Mines some similar territory to Born to Run, the author is obviously fascinated with rediscovering ancient secrets of unlocking the human body's full physical potential. I didn't know anything about the fighting in Greece during WWII, but the author basically suggests Hitler and the Germans lost the war in Russia because they got delayed for several months when they encountered extremely pesky resistance in Crete, a critical resupply point. That caused them to miss the window of acceptable weather in Mother Russia and they suffered the same fate as Napoleon previously.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 5:35 pm 
Just finished "Subirdia" by David Marzluff. He's a professor at UW and has written an equally marvelous book about crows and ravens. ("In The Company of Crows and Ravens") It's a fast moving book about how birds have come to occupy the niche of suburbia and adapt. Which birds do best? Which ones quit or die off and move elsewhere? What can we do to help our feathered friends? All questions he answers well and makes a good read. Check it out!!

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
LizzyRN

LizzyRN
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 7:01 pm 
I've requested this one from my local library. Two people in front of me, but I'm really Eager to read it. Thanks for the tip.
Mike Collins wrote:
Too High & Too Steep-Reshaping Seattle's Topography by David B. Williams recounts the large scale transformations of greater Seattle's landscape. The Denny Regrade, Chittenden locks, and the filling in of the Duwamish tideflats are all reviewed and presented in a manner that will enrich your knowledge about Seattle's topographic history. The author lives in Seattle and sometimes conducts informative walks around downtown Seattle pointed out the fascinating stone used for the buildings. You will be glad to read this book about the area many of us call home.

LizzyRN Where's my inhaler?!
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Nov 02, 2015 6:58 pm 
I really enjoyed Christopher McDougall's "Born to Run." I didn't realize he'd written anything else, my brother recommended "Natural Born Heroes" to me. Good so far...
After a good start I'm bogging down with this one. I've read a few books like this, driving me crazy with lack of focus, probably needed better editing. Author tries to tell too many stories simultaneously. Since I'm not making much progress on that one, now I started "Tracks" by Robyn Davidson. I saw the movie version earlier this year. Promising start.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Nov 03, 2015 10:55 am 
Stephen Kinzer, The Brothers (Holt, 2013). Biography of John Foster & Allen Dulles. Kinzer has written half-a-dozen other books regarding U.S. overthrow of foreign governments (starting with Hawaii). Ferdinand Lundberg's books America's Sixty Families (1950s?)and The Rich and the Super-Rich (1968?) help put this story in perspective, as does Russ Baker's Family of Secrets. John Le Carre', James Bond, and their ilk got nuthin' compared to the real thing. I don't see how spy fiction even sells.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
wolffie

wolffie
PostSun Nov 15, 2015 1:00 pm 
In the wake of the Paris attacks, I recommend: Why I Am Not a Muslim, Ibn Warraq. Written well before 9/11 in response to the Rushdie affair, this courageous book basically hangs out the dirty laundry of Islam, providing a level of detail and analysis that only an apostate scholar could know. You have to be a bit of a sadomasochist with a horrified fascination with the Dark Side to read this kind of stuff -- it's sort of a horror flick for adults -- but I think it is extremely important. A healthier interest in the Dark Side back in, say, 1933 might have saved us a lot of trouble -- Warraq in fact draws that parallel in the first page of his book (or perhaps the Introduction). "Ibn Warraq", of course, is a nom de securite', not the author's real name (surprisingly, he is still alive). No Man Knows My History, Fawn Brodie, is a totally unrelated book that tells a different occurrence of the the same story. The two make fascinating companions. Brodie's book is the first book I'd recommend to a Muslim. The End of Faith, Sam Harris, also deals with much of this, and the greater revulsion you feel about him and his book, the more important it is to read it -- although rational argumentation rarely persuades anybody -- we make our decisions on an emotional, not rational level -- and doomsday cults usually survive their doomsdays (google "The Great Disappointment" for the story of the world's 18th-largest religious sect whose doomsday is Oct. 22, 1944). I live in a world where a majority of my fellow humans apparently believe there is nothing so glorious as death and the end of the world. Now I have to go hug my dog. Vive la France! Vive le rest of us.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.