Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 2:11 pm 
Just got "Morning Star" by Pierce Brown from the library, the third book in the Red Rising trilogy. This series deserves more attention than it gets. I've been promoting it since I read the first book a little over a year ago. Sweeping sci fi epic.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Feb 16, 2016 1:19 pm 
Infidel, Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Amazing autobiography of a Somali refugee who eventually escaped (largely on her own) to Holland, and built a new life. Perceptive, succicnt, articulate vignettes of the cultures of Somlia, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia, Kenya, and western Europe, particularly with respect to Islam and the position of women. She worked with Theo van Gogh on a film which pissed-off some jihadis enough to butcher him, leaving a 5-page letter addressed to her impaled on a knife in his chest. If you like to travel and explore exotic cultures, this book will take you on a trip that no airliner can. Free Press (Simon & Schuster) 2007.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 10:09 am 
i am finally reading 2014 The Bourne Ascendancy. by Robert Ludlum Identity, Supremacy, and Ultimatum by Eric Van Lustbader Legacy, Betrayal, Sanction, Deception, Objective, Dominion, Imperative, and Retribution yep, i like the Jason Bourne series ... tongue.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
cartman

cartman
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 9:01 pm 
Recently finished The Tower by Kelly Cordes, which weaves the history of the supposed first ascent of Cerro Torre by Maestri with Cordes' and others more recent climbs of the "Shriek Turned To Stone". This is Cordes' first book and he did an outstanding job of presenting the evidence in a highly readable and engaging way, and is probably the most definitive book on Cerro Torre ever written.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 9:17 pm 
The Big Short by Michael Lewis. A great read about the financial meltdown a few years back. I'm learning a lot......

cartman

cartman
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 9:44 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
It was exactly sixty-one years ago at this time that the American Karakoram Expedition made their attempt to summit K2. K2-The Savage Mountain by Bob Bates and Charles Houston MD chronicles that epic expedition. The tension is as strong as that on the rope used for the belay by Schoening when describing their heroic descent. The book is dedicated to Art Gilkey whose body has never been found after his fatal fall on the peak during the same expedition. The book rightly deserves its accolade as a mountaineering classic.
Interesting fact: Dee Molenaar says the drawing by Clarence Doore of the climber's various positions on the ropes and on the mountain when the fall occurred is totally wrong in the original edition. He says only the 1994 Adventure Library edition has the correct drawing, which Dee drew himself.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Feb 25, 2016 8:35 pm 
So, I was watching The Late Show with Stephen Colbert the other day, which included a demonstration of the device used to detect gravitational waves, when I began to realize that it sounded really familiar...
A few seconds into the demonstration it suddenly struck me that the device used to detect gravitational waves - interferometric laser gravitational wave detectors - was based on prototypes built by Robert L. Forward (and colleagues) at Hughes Research Laboratories. Some of my favorite SF novels were written by the late Robert L. Forward! While I was aware of his work with gravitation wave detectors (even the acclaimed SF writer Larry Niven had featured this in at least one of his SF stories), I had not connected the dots that led to the fantastic discovery of gravitational waves. May you rest in peace, Dr. Robert L. Forward. I will be rereading Dragon's Egg for my next book in your honor.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Feb 26, 2016 7:55 pm 
The Sinking of the USS Thresher. Since I've been building Virginia Class Nuclear Submarines lately I thought Id read up on the disaster. Sad and scary.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSat Feb 27, 2016 7:45 am 
All Over But the Shoutin by Rick Bragg His childhood and early new career in the poverty of the rural south at times a gut wrenching story, but the prose is amazing clean and efficient.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Feb 28, 2016 1:41 pm 
Eels-An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish by James Prosek weaves the stories from New Zealand, Micronesia, and the eastern seaboard of the United States by people who have close encounters with this odd fish. Eels mate in the ocean and migrate up rivers as small "glass eels" that lack pigment so the bodies can be looked through. His book helps to draw attention to the fact that eels are in drastic decline around the world because of dams for hydroelectric power and overfishing of adults.

Stella

Stella
PostSun Mar 13, 2016 7:05 pm 
Just finished "The Log of a Snow Survey - Skiing and Working in a Mountain Winter World". The author, Patrick Armstrong, has a number of callings but one of them is to spend the winter months on 1-2 week long forays to measure the snow pack in the high Sierra. This involves skiing 100+ miles, crossing 12k foot passes, assessing avalanche danger and digging out deeply buried cabins. His descriptions of the joys and perils of the work is great. His observations about the natural history of the mountains is a pleasure to read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and heartily recommend it.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 14, 2016 11:29 am 
Went back to John Scalzi, Old Man's War series. Went thru "Human Division" fairly quickly. Just picked up "The End of All Things" yesterday and read for several hours during power outage. In between I started on Bill Bryson's latest "The Road to Little Dribbling" about his return to England 20 years or so after "Notes From a Small Island." Bogged down on it, may not finish it.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Mar 20, 2016 10:53 am 
Geology Underfoot in Western Washington by Dave Tucker is a collection of 22 geological vignettes of easily accessible stops along Washington highways. The Ape Cave, Mima Mounds, Mount Rainier, and glacial erratics are visited with helpful maps. Useful illustrations buttress the author's informative text and helped to increase my understanding of the state's geology.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 10, 2016 4:00 pm 
Hit and miss lately, I've given up on several books. I've been nibbling around the edges of the sci fi genre the last several years. I've been curious about exploring some of the earlier acclaimed authors of sci fi. Currently have Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury (I think it's considered sci fi) and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein from the library.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Apr 19, 2016 9:31 am 
I just started Jasper Fforde's "Friday Next" series after seeing it recommended as being similar to Terry Pratchett's novels. So far its definitely intriguing and more than a little bizarre; a mix of mystery, fantasy, and sci-fi the books are set in an alternate history version of Earth where literature is valued as highly as precious gems are in our universe. Time travel, fusion, and advanced genetic engineering exist, but they still use cassette tapes and other mid-20th century technology (it's set in 1980). It's very well written, and definitely worth checking out for anyone who (like me) is in search for an author to fill the huge void left by the passing of Terry Pratchett.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/