Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
edeezy

edeezy
PostTue Apr 19, 2016 12:35 pm 
Finished Masters of Atlantis. Not in the same league as The Dog of the South or True Grit but still hilarious. If I had to pick Charles Portis would be my favorite writer. Checked a couple books by Andres Neuman out, started Talking To Ourselves.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Apr 28, 2016 7:16 am 
The Northwest used to be Wisconsin, Michigan, northern Illinois, and Minnesota. In Wau-Bun, The Early Day in the Northwest written by Mrs. John H. Kinzie in 1856 the formative years of settlement in that area for those of European ancestry are recounted. Her eyewitness account of the Fort Dearborn massacre offers a unique narrative to that event which represents one of the red stars of the Chicago flag. My boyhood roots were placed in Chicago and the book will be enjoyed by those who also hail from the Windy City.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Apr 28, 2016 2:07 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
Geology Underfoot in Western Washington by Dave Tucker is a collection of 22 geological vignettes of easily accessible stops along Washington highways.
The Author of this book, Dave Tucker is putting on a presentation at the Peninsula Wilderness Club meeting next Wednesday. Link

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Apr 29, 2016 3:06 am 
The Dogist. Coffee table picture book of dogs...pure bred and mutt. How can you go wrong with that? Tom

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun May 15, 2016 3:20 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Hit and miss lately, I've given up on several books. I've been nibbling around the edges of the sci fi genre the last several years. I've been curious about exploring some of the earlier acclaimed authors of sci fi. Currently have Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury (I think it's considered sci fi) and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein from the library.
Really enjoyed the Heinlein, the Bradbury not so much. After those 2 read the beginning of Asimov's Foundation series. Enjoyable enough, but I probably won't continue the series. Just picked up Heinlein's Starship Troopers from the library today.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 8:52 pm 
This thread has been as dead lately as the movie thread. What happened? Anyway, "Starship Troopers" wasn't what I expected. Very little happens. It's mostly about the training the main character goes thru rather than any actual military campaigns. Furthermore the book is really just a framework for the author to dispense some of his notions about philosophy, government, military organization, the rights and responsibilities of citizenship, etc. It wasn't bad, but again just very different than what I was thinking it would be. After that I breezed thru a Jack Reacher novel--"Make Me." I think it's the latest one. Entertaining as the other 2 or 3 I've read have been. There was a bit of a twist that wasn't revealed til the end about what's really going on underneath all the layers, that I figured out fairly early on. Honestly it seemed fairly obvious that's where it was going. Now I'm back to Heinlein again with "Stranger in a Strange Land." Apparently the originally published version back in '61 was significantly abridged at the insistence of the editor. It's been republished in it's entirety from the original manuscript, that's the version I've got. About 1/3 of the way thru it. Very interesting concept. Somewhere back a while ago I read another sci fi novel "Blindsight" by Peter Watts. I didn't particularly enjoy it. Seemed like parts were missing. Or the author was way too clever for me. All the dots didn't connect.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 9:53 pm 
I just started Terry Pratchett's last book "The Shepherd's Crown". It took me half a year to get up the courage to read it; he's was my favorite author and I wanted to have one last book of his left read for as long as possible. Also, Raising Steam was so disappointing that I was worried that this novel would be tainted by what occurred in it. Fortunately I can report that Shepherds Crown is the equal of any of his previous work, and from what I've read so far it looks to be a fitting farewell from one of the worlds greatest writers.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
mike

mike
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 9:53 pm 
OTIUTB, try Iain Banks' Culture series. Starts with Consider Phlebas

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 10:12 pm 
Thanks Mike, I'll check that out.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 6:57 am 
I'd second that recommendation on Ian M. Banks' Culture series. Note: When he writes as Ian Banks, the books may not be SF. When he writes as Ian M. Banks, they're SF.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
mike

mike
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 7:45 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
When he writes as
wrote. Past tense. RIP

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 7:48 am 
Yes, thanks for the correction. I guess it still hasn't sunk in that there won't be any more Ian M. Banks books. frown.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 8:27 am 
mike wrote:
wrote. Past tense. RIP
Even though an author has died it is common, indeed proper, to use the "literary present tense" when discussing their works. The words of authors never die and this use of the present tense reflects that continuing action. https://www.vanderbilt.edu/writing/wp-content/uploads/sites/164/2016/10/Literary-present-tense.pdf

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 3:01 pm 
Just started Dan Simmons "Rise of Endymion," the final book in the Hyperion series. I have really enjoyed this series and am curious to see how this book wraps it up. I'm also looking for a copy of the third book in Kevin J. Anderson's "Terra Incognita" trilogy which is titled "The Key to Creation." The first two were really good but critical reviews suggest he may have gotten a bit over-ambitious and was forced to rather too-neatly wrap things up in the final installment.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Jun 09, 2016 7:27 pm 
Just finishing "Desert Queen" by Janet Wallach. Good history of the Middle East.....history of pre and post WW1 Middle east and the fall of the Ottoman Empire. Lawrence of Arabia, et al....helps understand some about what is going on there, now. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16172.Desert_Queen As some reviewers have noted, it is a bit of a struggle to read.