Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostSun Aug 21, 2016 6:03 pm 
smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Aug 21, 2016 11:18 pm 
I have a signed copy of Tatoosh! I enjoy her description of her first night; shy to disrobe and put on pajamas because there aren't curtains on the windows...! Great book, and she makes it seem as if you're right there!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Aug 22, 2016 6:02 am 
reading the Biography of Beatrix Potter. Beatrix Potter, A Life in Nature, Linda Lear. I was unaware of her early history as a mycologist ( amateur) and the disrespect she ( and other women) met at the Linnean Society and Kew. She put forward work on the life cycles of several fungi and lichens and discussed hybrids. The work was roundly dismissed. It is now accepted knowledge

mike

mike
PostMon Aug 22, 2016 11:13 am 
Dalguise House on the River Tay where Beatrix Potter stayed in her childhood as a summer visitor and it acted as inspiration for some of her later stories. And perhaps her interest in fungi.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 9:26 am 
Northwest Passage: The Great Columbia River by William Dietrich. He just reissued this book twenty years after original publication. Superbly written and packed with interesting facts about the Columbia, it's history, and why it is the way it is today and what tomorrow might bring. For example, did you ever wonder why around Seattle there are many indian names for places, but not around Portland? Most of the natives around the lower Columbia died of 'white mans diseases' and their names for places were supplanted by our 'modern' names. The native population further north lived long enough to insure that their traditional names stuck. I highly recommend Dietrich's book if you have a chance. Seattle Public Library has a couple copies. up.gif up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 9:59 am 
Not many Indian names around Portland? I'm not so sure about that. Klickitat River and Klickitat County. Tamanawas Falls on the east side of Hood. The town of Kalama. Wy'east was the name for Mt. Hood and that shows up in various places (a middle school we played sports against, for one). Multnomah Falls and Multnomah County. Clackamas River, town, county, and shopping center. Willamette River. Wahclella Falls. Those are a few that come to mind that are fairly close to Portland. I'm sure there are many more.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 10:34 am 
lookout bob wrote:
Most of the natives around the lower Columbia died of 'white mans diseases'
Author Robert Boyd lives in Portland and thoroughly examines this topic in The Coming of the Spirit of Pestilence-Introduced Infectious Diseases and Population Decline among Northwest Coast Indians, 1774-1874.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 12:18 pm 
I've got a bit of a guilty pleasure series I've been working my way thru. I am certain I am not the target audience, being neither a tween/teen or a female. But I find them entertaining anyway. It's the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. Sci fi, very loosely based on classic fairy tale characters (Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, Snow White) and a mashup where all those characters eventually interact with each other. It's not as brutal as the Hunger Games series, and while there's a bit of romance, it's not as stupid and nauseating as that element was in the Divergent series.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 14, 2016 10:58 am 
mike wrote:
OTIUTB, try Iain Banks' Culture series. Starts with Consider Phlebas
Just got this from the library yesterday.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 14, 2016 11:02 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I've got a bit of a guilty pleasure series I've been working my way thru. I am certain I am not the target audience, being neither a tween/teen or a female. But I find them entertaining anyway. It's the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. Sci fi, very loosely based on classic fairy tale characters (Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, Snow White) and a mashup where all those characters eventually interact with each other. It's not as brutal as the Hunger Games series, and while there's a bit of romance, it's not as stupid and nauseating as that element was in the Divergent series.
Egads! eek.gif down.gif I enjoyed the first 3 books in this series. They were fairly light and fluffy but entertaining and I thought fairly well crafted. The last one, something went DRASTICALLY wrong. It was terrible! Checked in at 800 pages, easily could've (and should've) had at least 200-300 pages edited out, wouldn't have missed anything. Boring, lame, hack writing.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Oct 18, 2016 2:30 pm 
Got a collection of short stories by Philip K Dick, quite a few of which have been adapted to the big screen. Just started, in the middle of "Paycheck" right now. Need to wait longer to form a definitive opinion. It seems like he had interesting ideas, but so far the writing/prose seems, uh, rather mediocre to me. I had a similar reaction when I read "Fahrenheit 451," the usage of language just didn't capture me at all. Other stories in addition to the one I'm working on currently that became films include Minority Report, Total Recall, The Adjustment Bureau and Impostor. The titles of the movies have been changed from the original story in some cases. And of course Blade Runner was adapted from one of his novels as well.

mike

mike
PostTue Oct 18, 2016 8:11 pm 
Got a collection of short stories by Philip K Dick, quite a few of which have been adapted to the big screen.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? ??

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Oct 18, 2016 10:05 pm 
mike wrote:
Got a collection of short stories by Philip K Dick, quite a few of which have been adapted to the big screen.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? ??
Yep - that was the inspiration for Bladerunner. I found it quite enjoyable.

Pef

Pef
PostWed Oct 19, 2016 12:16 am 
Got a collection of short stories by Philip K Dick,
Hey, me too smile.gif , just been listening to the The Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Vol. 1 & 2. Anybody else here on GoodReads.com ? This is me: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2332237-patrick

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Oct 19, 2016 3:23 pm 
Pef wrote:
Hey, me too smile.gif , just been listening to the The Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Vol. 1 & 2. Anybody else here on GoodReads.com ? This is me: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2332237-patrick
I'm not registered on that site, but I've visited it several times to see discussions about books I've read. The PKD story I'm reading now is titled "Second Variety" and without having finished it yet, I have a strong suspicion it is the inspiration for the movie "Screamers." Maybe every single thing PKD ever wrote has been adapted into a film!