Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 3:38 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
but he left a lot of books that I'll be happy to work my way through.
FWIW best read in the order that he published them.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 4:22 pm 
I recently finished reading Sam Harris’s The End of Faith. Religion, Terror and the Future of Reason, first published in 2004, with a lengthy Notes and Bibliography. Excellent and thought-provoking as is most of his work. Blurbs and reviews are here via his website. ~z

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 6:45 pm 
Forgotten Forbidden America. Thomas A. Watson

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 pm 
Just finished this one a couple of days ago. 428 AD: An Ordinary Year at the End of the Roman Empire by Giusto Traina. Translated from the Italian. This is an academic work focusing on one year towards the end of the Roman Empire (476 CE). If you have an interest in Late Antiquity then this is for you. It was necessary for me to read it twice since there were so many place names, key figures of rulers, bishops, writers, barbarian tribes, place names and events to keep straight. Here's a short section from the Princeton University Press blurb: This is a sweeping tour of the Mediterranean world from the Atlantic to Persia during the last half-century of the Roman Empire. By focusing on a single year not overshadowed by an epochal event, 428 AD provides a truly fresh look at a civilization in the midst of enormous change--as Christianity takes hold in rural areas across the empire, as western Roman provinces fall away from those in the Byzantine east, and as power shifts from Rome to Constantinople. ~z

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 12:21 pm 
Funny, I'm just wrapping up SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard. A very impressive book covering the other end of the Roman empire, from about 700 BC to 200 AD. I'm glad I picked it up, I had no idea that so much of modern life still contained so many things Roman, from our calendar of course, to a ton of common phrases, legal ideas, and literary and rhetorical devices pioneered by Cicero.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 12:23 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
As a fan of Sci-Fi I'm wondering why I didn't find the works of Iain M. Banks before just recently.
Boy do you have a lot of great reading ahead of you. "The Culture" theme spans a lot of his books and works out great. Use of Weapons is my hands down favorite. For straight fiction, try The Wasp Factory. It's really weird and really good.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 12:33 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard
Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:33 pm 
So...non linear storytelling. Huh. Can be effective if done well, but can also drive me freaking nuts. I'm used to it in movies, but then you're only waiting 1 1/2 or 2 hours for the pay off for why the script writer/director chose to do it that way. With literature, takes a lot longer. Anyway just started a novel "Celine" by Peter Heller about an aristocratic detective who mostly does pro bono work and specializes in missing persons cold cases. There's elements of the story I'm intrigued by, but it's constantly jumping back and forth across decades and just the utterly inane minutiae from the main characters childhood that has nothing to do with anything. Totally sidetracks/dead ends the narrative. So frustrating. Not sure if I can stick with this. Why do authors do this?

mike

mike
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 2:45 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Almost through the first book in Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem trilogy....I can't recommend the series enough. up.gif up.gif up.gif
On book one. Thanks GW!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 11:03 am 
Letter to a Christian Nation, Vintage Books, 2006. Another short but powerful book by Sam Harris. Here is a link to his blog with a description and review quotes. I pulled this quote from the Conclusion section: One of the greatest challenges facing civilization in the twenty-first century is for human beings to learn to speak about their deepest personal concerns--about ethics, spiritual experience, and the inevitability of human suffering--in ways that are not flagrantly irrational. We desperately need a public discourse that encourages critical thinking and intellectual honesty.Nothing stands in the way of this project more than the respect we accord religious faith. Kinda' makes you think. ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 2:07 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
"Celine" by Peter Heller about an aristocratic detective who mostly does pro bono work and specializes in missing persons cold cases. There's elements of the story I'm intrigued by, but it's constantly jumping back and forth across decades and just the utterly inane minutiae from the main characters childhood that has nothing to do with anything. Totally sidetracks/dead ends the narrative.
I'm quite enjoying this when it's straight forward narrative set in the present. Good attention to detail, it centers around a nearly 25 year old missing person case in Yellowstone. The victim was presumed to be mauled by a grizzly, but it was a bit suspicious. It's clear the author did some research and spent some time in the area. Still frustrated by and disinterested in the continuing side tracks dealing w/ back story of the main character, her parents and siblings, and her son. It all seems completely unnecessary.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Mar 31, 2017 4:06 am 
The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown brings the story of the gold medal quest for rowing in the 1936 Olympics alive. The reader won't feel the splash of the white sculling oars on the Berlin water until page 455 which allows the author time to develop the characters, many of whom had hardscrabble boyhoods. Much of the book has the backdrop of the Seattle area adding further flavor to a heartwarming read. Two oars up for this book.

Toni

Toni
PostFri Mar 31, 2017 2:48 pm 
I just started reading the 'sample' of this that B&N offers, has anyone here read this book? pg 21 of 36, pretty darn good so far! up.gif Love the history/facts building up to eruption.

There is no Planet B
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Apr 04, 2017 6:42 pm 
The three year siege of Sarajevo is the longest of modern time. At four o'clock in the afternoon of May 27, 1992 a mortar shell killed twenty-two people waiting to buy bread. For the next twenty-two days Vedran Smailovic, a renowned local cellist played Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor at that site to honor the dead. Within the framework of that tragedy The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway brilliantly exposes the inanity of war by bringing you into the mind of a fictitious sniper with a nom de guerre of Arrow.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 06, 2017 11:14 am 
Chris Hedges was a war correspondent with the NYT and was trapped in Sarajevo during that siege he has some great insight into it. Horrific.

Living in the Anthropocene