Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SMPaul

SMPaul
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 pm 
Just finished "Wildfire - On the front lines with Station 8" A fascinating read on the people, science, philosophy, and effort, required to tackle wildfires. https://www.mountaineers.org/books/books/wildfire-on-the-front-lines-with-station-8 I highly recommend it!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 2:05 pm 
Spokane author Jack Nesbit's Ancient Places. I picked it up at the Verlot Ranger station last weekend. So far, I'm enjoying it. I have read other Nesbit work; this is great.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 9:43 pm 
Peter Hamilton's Dreaming Void scifi series. Damn can this guy write an epic saga.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 8:41 pm 
This was mentioned upthread by neek, but I just finished it last night and wanted to chime in. wink.gif How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan, Penguin Press, New York, 2018. This is an excellent book, well-researched, thought out and produced. Pollan, a journalist and long-time contributor to the New York Times Magazine teaches writing at Harvard and the University of California, Berkeley. His previous books have been mostly about food. This is a history of psychedelic research and how these substances are used to “…provide relief to people suffering from difficult-to-treat conditions such as depression, addiction, and anxiety,...”. I enjoyed the neuroscience chapter and its description of how the brain works—i.e. the DMN or Default Mode Network. He describes the brain structure then goes on to say “As mentioned, the default mode network appears to play a role in the creation of mental constructs or projections, the most important of which is the construct we call the self, or ego. This is why some neuroscientists call it “the me network.” … The achievement of an individual self, a being with a unique past and a trajectory into the future, is one of the glories of human evolution, but it is not without its drawbacks and potential disorders. The price of the sense of an individual identity is a sense of separation from others and nature. Self-reflection can lead to great intellectual and artistic achievement but also to destructive forms of self-regard and many types of unhappiness. … But, accepting the good with the bad, most of us take this self as an unshakeable given, as real as anything we know, and as the foundation of our life as conscious human beings. Or at least I always took it that way, until my psychedelic experiences left me to wonder.” (pp 303-304) Here’s a link to his web page with many links to favorable reviews. There are a number of copies in the Seattle Public Library. ~z

mossbackmax
graywolf

graywolf
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 8:53 pm 
"Saving Tarboo Creek". Very local - I work with the author's neighbor. Next will be "The Smiling Country" by Sally Portman about the Methow valley. I've met the author and her husband, Don.

The only easy day was yesterday...
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 1:35 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Peter Hamilton's Dreaming Void scif series. Damn can this guy write an epic saga.
Yup! up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 2:30 pm 
I've bogged down on several books lately. Got a new one that is promising so far. I wasn't familiar w/ Dan Fesperman but apparently he's written quite a few spy thriller novels. This one is called "Safe Houses." Starts with a flashback scene to Berlin and a low level CIA agent who oversees several safe houses in the city. She hears something she probably shouldn't have heard, even though she doesn't understand the meaning of it. 35 years later she is murdered in her home in Maryland by her developmentally delayed son. Her daughter is mystified by the murder and wants to try to understand what led up to, so is in the process of trying to hire a P.I. to take a look. That's where I'm at so far. I imagine it's going to jump back and forth between different time frames and go way down a rabbit hole.

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 9:08 am 
Pantsdrunk: Kalsarikanni: The Finnish Path to Relaxation Well, not yet anyway, but I'm going to...

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 2:48 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I wasn't familiar w/ Dan Fesperman but apparently he's written quite a few spy thriller novels. This one is called "Safe Houses."
This hit a little bit of a lull in the middle but overall was really good. Just picked up another book from the library by the same author, "The Double Game."

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 17, 2018 8:51 pm 
Just finished Astoria now iknow where Saint George brewery came from. cool.gif Interesting popular history about a almost forgotten piece of local history. The saddest words are, “This is what could have been”

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Sep 29, 2018 1:43 pm 
I'm probably good with Fesperman and spy novels for now. Tried something else in the meantime that didn't grab me. Description sounded unique and interesting but I was struggling with it. Author is into quantum physics, probably should've been a good indication he's too smart for me to be reading his writing. Anyway, moved onto "Foundryside" by Robert Jackson Bennett. Intriguing right away. A mixture of science and magic. There are so many fantasy authors, I know almost none of them. This is apparently the first in an expected trilogy. He had an earlier trilogy that sounds interesting, might check that out after this.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:31 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Anyway, moved onto "Foundryside" by Robert Jackson Bennett. Intriguing right away. A mixture of science and magic. There are so many fantasy authors, I know almost none of them. This is apparently the first in an expected trilogy. He had an earlier trilogy that sounds interesting, might check that out after this.
This was really enjoyable. Very inventive. 500 pages, it lagged a few times, but mostly kept me turning pages. Now I have to wait a while for further installments of this series. Definitely gonna check out his Divine Cities trilogy now.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 10:01 pm 
Democracy in Chains by Nancy MacLean. The author is The William H. Chafe Professor of History and Public Policy at Duke University in North Carolina. I saw her briefly in a clip of a televised interview. Reviews in GoodReads, NPR and Kirkus Reviews. The book focuses on Nobel Prize-winning economist James McGill Buchanan (1919-2013) and the people he influenced. ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 10:07 pm 
Just got "The Consuming Fire" by John Scalzi from the library. Second book in his latest series. Prolific sci fi writer. His Old Man's War series was great. His stand alone novels are hit and miss for me.

Toni

Toni
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 6:37 pm 
I'm a John Grisham fan, reading his latest "The Reckoning" up.gif up.gif

There is no Planet B