Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mgd

mgd
PostMon Jan 14, 2008 7:06 pm 
I had put down Peter Jenkin's book, Looking for Alaska, a few months ago, and now I finishing it up. drink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jan 14, 2008 8:17 pm 
goats gone wild wrote:
I am making myself finish "Men, Mountains and Mules...Lieutenant O'Neil's Olympic Expeditions." I started it a few years ago and got really bored right from the start.
Are you inSANE????

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 12:37 am 
Very likely. hockeygrin.gif Why else would I continue to read a book I wasn't enjoying thoroughly???? Stubborn as a mule, I suppose. Or maybe has something to do with the fact that Wood's book, "Across the Olympics" is one of my all time favorites. MMM would be a much better book if the numerous cross references were edited a bit. No matter. I finished it tonight while waiting to pick my son up from his basketball game in Montesano. They should be arriving back in Forks around 1 AM! Now, what to read next???

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
touron

touron
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 12:56 am 
Goat, after walking the gauntlet with your last book, you need an easy and fun read. I suggest Louis L'Amour. Hmmm....Catlow

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Phil

Phil
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 6:42 am 
Gray wrote:
Just finished Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. I started with his The Big U, and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about him. Snow Crash made it more clear, good book. My favorite recent read was China Mievelle's Perdido Street Station, one of the best and most beautifully realized fictional worlds in a long, long time. I need to pick up some more from him.
Ive tried NS numerous times and it just isnt happening for me in the way I had hoped. I liked Snow Crash and Zodiac, and a few others, but his monumental series that everyone raves about is lost to me. CM, on the other hand, wow. Yeah check out the Scar and Iron Council. Speaking of sci-fi, how about Stephen Donaldson's Gap series? Gaiman's American gods? up.gif

jennmonkey
chupacabra

jennmonkey
chupacabra
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 10:48 am 
Just finished Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Just starting Catch 22. My friend has been trying to get me to read Catch 22 for about 10 years and I'm just finally getting to it. lol.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 12:06 pm 
Thanks for the suggestion, touron. hockeygrin.gif Sounds like a good backpack read.....lightweight wink.gif Jennmonkey, let us know what you think of Catch 22.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 12:07 pm 
"I am Legend" "The Road" The latest Spenser for Hire book. Ten thumbs up! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 pm 
I finished Cell by Stephen King a few weeks ago.

mtngrl

mtngrl
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 pm 
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Just finished the part about India, now it's on to Indonesia. I'd highly recommend; great book.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 12:52 pm 
has anyone read "The Book Thief" and if so do you recommend it?

Phil

Phil
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 1:39 pm 
goats gone wild wrote:
I am making myself finish "Men, Mountains and Mules...Lieutenant O'Neil's Olympic Expeditions."
I feel your pain. I'm fascinated by all things Olympics, however trivial, and this was a slog even for me. Was only able to make it happen by reading it while also have the included maps and modern topos out in an effort to track their route.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 2:06 pm 
Well you are not alone the earlier book was so much more interesting probably due to the incompetence of the party compared to O'Neil.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 2:40 pm 
"Challenge of the North Cascades". I've been doing lots of reading on the history of climbing lately and this book is a fun read. I recently watched a show called "Vertical Frontier" and it's prompted me to take a closer look at the early years of rock climbing and Yosemite in particular. So now to find some enjoyable sources for that next smile.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 2:47 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Well you are not alone the earlier book was so much more interesting probably due to the incompetence of the party compared to O'Neil.
So true. It read more like a comedy. lol.gif The highlight in the Press Exp. had to be when they were desperately hungry and spent the better part of a morning scoping out and carefully taking aim at the already dead bull elk. lol.gif lol.gif And, if I remember right, it was the same day that one of the party was sent to do some serious fishing. He caught NO fish but managed to smoke all the remaining tobacco. The men were furious. In MMM- the highlight for me was when Jumbo (the dog) stole the bacon. I can just hear the cook cussing now. Or when "somebody" tied Jumbo up to Fisher's tent, and Fisher returned from a hard day's trail work to find his camp possessions scattered to the wind. I was really sorry when Jumbo went to town (Hoodsport) and never came back. I really missed him through the rest of the book. Alright, I admit it, I love Jumbo. wink.gif