Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostTue Mar 27, 2012 5:03 pm 
In the Garden of Beasts : Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin Library Journal Review: "Best-selling author Larson (The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America) turns his considerable literary nonfiction skills to the experiences of U.S. ambassador to Germany William E. Dodd and his family in Berlin in the early years of Hitler's rule. Dodd had been teaching history at the University of Chicago when he was summoned by FDR to the German ambassadorship. Larson, using lots of archival as well as secondary-source research, focuses on Dodd's first year in Berlin and, using Dodd's diary, chillingly portrays the terror and oppression that slowly settled over Germany in 1933. Dodd quickly realized the Nazis' evil intentions; his daughter Martha, in her mid-20s, was initially smitten by the courteous SS soldiers surrounding her family, but over time she, too, became disenchanted with the brutality of the regime. Along the way Larson provides portraits based on primary-source impressions of Hermann Göring, Joseph Goebbels, Heinrich Himmler, and Hitler himself. He also traces the Dodds' lives after their time in Germany. VERDICT Larson captures the nuances of this terrible period. This is a grim read but a necessary one for the present generation."

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Mac
old retiree

John Mac
old retiree
PostWed Mar 28, 2012 7:26 pm 
The Big Burn by Timothy Egan. Describes the fire around Wallace, Idaho early last century. Pretty good insight into the beginnings of the Forest Service, Teddy Roosevelt, and career of Pulaski. Another decent Egan book is Breaking Blue about the corruption of the Spokane police department some time ago.

How miserable are the idle hours of the ignorant man. Ariosto
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Mar 29, 2012 4:55 pm 
Finding the West: Explorations With Lewis and Clark by James P. Ronda offers refreshing new perspectives on the story of the Corps of Discovery. Reading his chapters are like opening windows in the spring and appreciating the fullness of the air. His writing allows the reader's mind to imagine in the historical literary world that is often called "stuffy".

mike

mike
PostThu Mar 29, 2012 7:08 pm 
This House of Sky, Ivan Doig. Growing up in a ranching valley in Montana.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 2:27 pm 
High Infatuation by Steph Davis. Very personal and compelling stories about climbing in Yosemite, Patagonia, and Baffin Island. The last two stories in the book are beautiful, powerful, and inspiring.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
John Mac
old retiree

John Mac
old retiree
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 3:32 pm 
Mike, If you haven't read the other books in that "series" by Doig, I highly recommend. Just plain good stories, as is The Whistling Season. I'm in the middle of Bucking the Sun for the second time. Story of building the Fort Peck Dam in E. Montana. He's a good local author.

How miserable are the idle hours of the ignorant man. Ariosto
touron

touron
PostSun Apr 22, 2012 6:17 pm 
I'm not actually reading this, but I saw it at the Barnes and Noble yesterday and it looked intriguing: Eye of the Explorer: Views of the Northern Pacific Railroad Survey, 1853-54 From the description
Quote:
In the 1850s, Congress authorized and funded five railroad surveys to determine the most practical route for a transcontinental railroad through the western frontier. The northernmost survey, headed by Maj. Isaac Stevens, was the most successful, both scientifically and geographically. Along with the data assembled by numerous scientists and surveyors was the work of two artists, John Mix Stanley and Gustavus Sohon. Their illustrations graphically documented the physical and cultural geography of the northern Great Plains and Pacific Northwest, with a particular eye for Native American life. Eye of the Explorer: Views of the Northern Pacific Railroad Survey reproduces all seventy of the lithographs that appeared with Stevens s final congressional report, published in 1860, as well as twelve of the lovely watercolor images from which the final prints were prepared. These views depict landscapes of undisturbed wilderness, scenes from the explorers journey, and glimpses of settlements in the initial throes of development. The accompanying text tells the story of the survey party s adventures, struggles, and day-to-day activities, and describes each image s historical, geographical, and geological importance. Liberally scattered throughout are quotations from the report. Dozens of detailed maps, illustrations, and historical photos further illuminate this engaging history.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Apr 22, 2012 7:23 pm 
The Hunger Games...... finished HG on to Catching Fire

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat May 05, 2012 1:54 pm 
Halfway to Heaven by Mark Obmascik (also wrote The Big Year) is a collection of stories centered around his successful endeavor to climb the 54 14ers in Colorado. One of the funniest lines is a quote from his son: "Dad, you know I hate hiking. I only love summiting." It is an entertaining read that may leave you itching for yet another list in your life.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 05, 2012 2:21 pm 
Robert B. Parker's Lullaby Ace Atkins

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat May 05, 2012 3:31 pm 
bobbi wrote:
The Hunger Games...... finished HG on to Catching Fire
Me too! My daughter practically forced me into getting the trilogy on Kindle.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun May 06, 2012 9:28 pm 
Gali.....must keep up with the young adult's current books up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon May 07, 2012 10:30 am 
That's right, gotta keep tabs on them! (Oh course, my reading the series has nothing to do with enjoyment, it's purely good parenting.) biggrin.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
pink flamingo thief
Stops for any cave

pink flamingo thief
Stops for any cave
PostWed May 09, 2012 7:23 pm 
I just finished Matterhorn. A very well crafted novel about the Vietnam war. Couldn't put it down.

usfs land of the fee home of the paved
Phil

Phil
PostThu May 10, 2012 7:21 am 
Just started: Mongoliad Havent read enough to comment much but I love the origins of this collaboration: " Q: How did you get the idea for The Mongoliad? A: It all started with sword fighting, of course. My co-authors and I are part of a Western martial arts study group that practices in a non- descript loft in Seattle......"