Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 26, 2014 5:55 pm 
I've slacked off on reading lately. Finally got going again. Nearly done w/ Ivan Doig's latest "Sweet Thunder" that features a recurring character that has appeared in 2 of his other books. Uncharacteristically it took quite a while, nearly 100 pages, for it to take off. I was concerned it wasn't going anywhere. It finally found it's footing and now I'm enjoying it quite well. This is Doig's second book set in Butte that is largely centered on the struggle between the copper kings and labor forces. Like his best works, it's historical fiction that I'm sure contains quite a bit of truth to it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Mar 01, 2014 4:27 pm 
The Fourth Part of the World-The Race to the Ends of the Earth and the Epic Story of the Map That Gave America Its Name by Toby Lester brings an in-depth historical review of the discovery and naming of America. For millenia Europeans believed that the world consisted of three parts; Europe, Asia, and Africa. When Columbus died he thought he had revealed a new course to Asia. This book fills in the blanks in that reawakening to the Fourth Part, America.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Mar 01, 2014 5:18 pm 
For some dumb reason I haven't utilized libraries much previously. More books than you could ever possibly read...for free. What's not to like about that? Finished the Doig book I referenced above (really liked it), returned it today and picked up my next book--The Big Year by Mark Obmascik. Saw the movie, haven't read it, enjoyed another of his books about climbing all of the 14ers in Colorado.

mike

mike
PostSat Mar 01, 2014 7:03 pm 

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 9:18 pm 
First Across the Continent-Sir Alexander Mackenzie by Barry Gough allows the reader to be alongside the ambitious explorer during his travels across the Canadian expanse to the Pacific. The historian Gough visited many of the areas Mackenzie saw bringing information gathered from outside the usual library research. He went even further and interviewed members of the First Nations who have their own oral history recounting Mackenzie's visit.

mtnman4ever

mtnman4ever
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 9:43 pm 
I've started reading EVEREST THE WEST RIDGE by Hornbein It's crazy what they accomplished and not even 25 summits have come from that route. Obviously it is hard but likely it's out and may not ever get tackled again

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 10:22 pm 
mountainman4ever wrote:
I've started reading EVEREST THE WEST RIDGE route.
When we wen't to Nepal we met Nemah Tensing who did that route with Hornbein and Unsold then came to the US and helped RFK up Mount Kennedy in Alaska and helped us to do Island peak and trek. A beautiful person. smile.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mtnman4ever

mtnman4ever
PostFri Mar 07, 2014 9:08 am 
WOW so lucky!! I'd love to go to everest base camp and spend like a week there to see the hustle and bustle of camp life cool.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Mar 07, 2014 4:22 pm 
Distant Dominion-Britain and the Northwest Coast of North America 1579-1809 by Barry M. Gough traces the presence of Britain in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the chapters are devoted to the naval presence. However he also has chapters directed toward the surveyors, overland explorers, and trapping companies. The book is scholarly and heavily footnoted for the inquisitive mind.

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Mar 07, 2014 7:38 pm 
mike wrote:
I have read this as well. Peter Skene Ogden had a pretty adventurous life. I'm trying to remember how many inland voyages he made, four or five? A bit of trivia that was passed on to me--at one time the Olympia governor's mansion had a copy of this book in its library. It probably still does.

Toni

Toni
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 5:22 pm 
This book was recommended to me today, also noticed several folks here have read this (a Good Book thread) and liked it pretty well. another visit to library... smile.gif

There is no Planet B
LewisGoes

LewisGoes
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 8:05 pm 
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 8:41 pm 
Juan Perez on the Northwest Coast-Six Documents of His Expedition in 1774 translated and annotated by Herbert Beals provides the reader with historical accounts of perhaps the first European to make contact with the First Nations of Vancouver Island. Much of the text is a translation of the boring daily log entries and latitude/longitude findings but the sections that mention the encounters with the Native Americans made the book interesting to me.

mike

mike
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 8:53 pm 
Mike, try Kendrick's translation of the Voyage of the Sutil and Mexicana in 1792.

Phil

Phil
PostThu Mar 13, 2014 7:04 am 
I enjoy sci-fi and fantasy books but the quality is often very poor. Happily have found a newer author that writes a cracking story. First book was the Red KnightReading the second part of his trilogy now:
Highly recommended for those who like this sort of thing. Reminds me a lot of Joe Abercrombie's excellent books.