Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Toni

Toni
PostSat Dec 10, 2016 10:41 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe I have read just the 'sample' that Barnes and Noble lets you read free (on my Nook) and leaves you hanging, so since you mentioned that it's going to be made into a movie w/Reese Witherspoon behind it, best get it downloaded. It was an NPR Book of the Year - 2015! Funny, I was just thinking of the 'kidnapping' of Sherri Papini (really bizarre and unbelievable to me) there may be a book out about that plus movie, goes along with the rest of above mentioned books, female genre of dark psychololgical thrillers. Edit Finished "In A Dark, Dark Wood" up.gif up.gif

There is no Planet B
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Dec 12, 2016 9:43 pm 
A recent holiday in southern Africa allowed me to visit several countries, one of which was Zimbabwe. In order to better understand the economic downward spiral since the breakaway from colonial Rhodesia I read When A Crocodile Eats The Sun by Peter Godwin and Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller. Both books are written by authors who are white but born in what was then Rhodesia. They offer similar accounts of the thugs who operate under the complacent eyes, if not direction, of the Robert Mugabe regime. Nobel laureate Desmond Tutu has called Mugabe "A caricature of an African dictator." The family struggles for economic survival as well as survival itself provide memoirs that reflect the hostile conditions they were forced to live under. Godwin and Fuller have both emigrated to Manhattan and Wyoming respectively and after reading about their experiences I can certainly understand why.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 15, 2016 7:34 pm 
Toni wrote:
Edit Finished "In A Dark, Dark Wood" up.gif up.gif
That was quick! I'm about halfway thru it, enjoying it as well.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 pm 
Breezed thru the 3rd book in the Tearling trilogy by Erika Johansen. It was a fast read, but the ending was not at all satisfying. Now reading "Moriarity" by Anthony Horowitz. While it's not actually a Sherlock Holmes novel, his shadow looms large. It's set immediately after Holmes' plunge over a waterfall with Moriarity. Now an American criminal mastermind is in Europe that was seeking to partner with Moriarity. With a vacuum created, the American can fill the void. A Pinkerton and a Scotland Yard detective (Athelney Jones, who has appeared in some of Doyle's stories) team up to try to stop him. Enjoying it so far.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 7:46 am 
Born in the Apocalypse. -Joseph Talluto

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 8:23 am 
Through a Green Lens by Robert Michael Pyle. If you haven't read his essays, you've missed out on an amazing local ( Willapa area) writer. I also recommend most of his other books, particularly his first one- Wintergreen: Rambles in a Ravaged Land. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 6:28 pm 
Had a lot of fun reading the two-part collaboration between a couple of SF's finest writers, Larry Niven and Gregory Benford: Bowl of Heaven and Shipstar. An excellent pair of books about humans encountering a half-Dyson Sphere being drawn along through space by its star. Interesting aliens, big ideas and a sense of wonder.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 7:25 pm 
Just finished Terry Goodkind's "The Pillars of Creation." Such a cool name for such a let-down of a book. Sophomoric writing and way too many plot holes and elements not explained or tied up at the end.

gb

gb
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 9:36 am 
Just beginning to read Encounters at the Heart of the World, A History of the Mandan People by Elizabeth Fenn and recommended by The Archaeological Conservancy. The Mandan were instrumental for Lewis and Clark. Thus far, well written.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Jan 28, 2017 8:21 pm 
The Lost World of the Old Ones: Discoveries in the Ancient Southwest by David Roberts. Pretty good first couple chapters..... cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 5:28 pm 
Jacob Lawrence; The Migration Series by Elizabeth Alexander offers further understanding to the current exhibition at the Seattle Art Museum with the same name, The Migration Series. The 60 paintings of the Series are all presented in the text with helpful commentary alongside. If you don't read the book then by all means make your way to the SAM for these historical vignettes picturing the African American migration from the southern states to the north.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 6:46 pm 
Ready Player One by Earnest Cline dystopian cyberpunk novel with a lot of 1980's pop culture references. Sorry if someone already mentioned this.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 9:41 pm 
The Killing books by Bill O'Reilly. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jan 31, 2017 2:28 pm 
"The Android's Dream" by John Scalzi. All kinds of weird political intrigue between humans and various alien races. Not tied in to his Old Man's War series I don't think, but similar in style. About 1/4 of the way thru it, enjoying it so far. And the title is most definitely a nod to Philip K. Dick because Android's Dream is the name of a variety of genetically engineered sheep.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Jan 31, 2017 8:40 pm 
I just finished--and strongly recommend--William L. Shirer's classic, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Before that, I read his Berlin Diary, available online. "Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it." --George Santayana

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey