Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Toni

Toni
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 1:31 am 
"The Zookeepers Wife" a true story in which the keepers of the Warsaw Zoo saved hundreds of people from Nazi hands. Soon to be a major movie...... smile.gif

There is no Planet B
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Spot
Spot Mandeux

Spot
Spot Mandeux
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 11:58 am 
Kingsblood Royal by Sinclair Lewis

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 08, 2017 5:04 pm 
Just starting "Crags, Eddies & Riprap: The Sound Country Memoir of Wolf Bauer." Didn''t know much about him, but apparently he played a pivotal role in Northwest history in a variety of fields--mountain rescue, shoreline restoration, river preservation. Sounds like quite a character, looking forward to reading it. I flipped thru and looked at pictures, he was contemporaries and/or mentor to a handful of recognizable names--the Whittaker twins, Ome Daiber, Bill Degenhardt, Dee Molenaar.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Feb 09, 2017 9:19 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Just starting "Crags, Eddies & Riprap: The Sound Country Memoir of Wolf Bauer."
I had the privilege of hearing Wolf speak a few times. His talks on the history of PNW mountaineering and paddling were a joy, and his thoughts on shoreline management and restoration were well ahead of their time.

gb

gb
PostThu Feb 09, 2017 10:23 am 
gb wrote:
Just beginning to read Encounters at the Heart of the World, A History of the Mandan People by Elizabeth Fenn and recommended by The Archaeological Conservancy. The Mandan were instrumental for Lewis and Clark. Thus far, well written.
This is turning out to be a fascinating book filled with quotes from first hand accounts dating to the early 1700's.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Feb 10, 2017 4:19 pm 
If you enjoy reading about the oddities that birds provide to the animal kingdom then you will want to read Tales of Remarkable Birds by Dominic Couzens. You will learn about the Arabian Babbler (Turdoides squamiceps) that live in complex societies wherein all members of the flock assist in the nesting activities such as incubation, feeding, and guarding the fledglings. Or the genus Megapodius who have emancipated themselves from sitting on eggs and choose instead to build mounds of organic material that provide the needed warmth through the decomposing vegetation. Fun stuff to occupy your mind on a windy and rainy winter day.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 12:59 pm 
Having missed out on observing the transit of Venus during the last occurrence in 2012 and being on my way toward fossilization when it happens next in 2117 I had to read about that celestial event in Transit of Venus-1631 to the Present by Nick Lomb. Only two people observed the transit of Venus in 1639 but the rare occasion quickly gained in popularity and spawned scientific expeditions to various areas of the world. It allowed for an accurate measurement of the distance between the Earth and the sun. The book is richly illustrated and the dozens of historical photos enliven the text.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 3:29 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Just starting "Crags, Eddies & Riprap: The Sound Country Memoir of Wolf Bauer."
Kind of bogging down on this. Lots of minutia. I guess that's the thing about memoirs. Recollections of various events, some fairly trivial. Up to his college years now, hopefully it will pick up and get more into his mountain adventures. In the meantime after being on a wait list I got "Dune" from the library. I've had it recommended to me several times, a sci fi epic that has been considered a classic for decades. It's almost 500 pages so I have to get started on that one, won't be able to renew it from the library.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 3:33 pm 
Mapping the North American Plains-Essays in the History of Cartography edited by Frederick C. Luebke has contributions by eleven different authors concerning the discovery and exploration of the great plains. Each chapter is unique with one discussing Indian cartography while another reviews the scientific instruments used by the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The book offers knowledge that is of interest to historians as well as geography buffs about the land west of the Mississippi and east of the Rockies.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 5:48 pm 
Mapping the New World-The Cartography of North America 1500-1800 by Pierluigi Portinaro has 200 full color and 100 black and white illustrations to buttress its exploration into the geography of North America. If you like cartographic history then this book will be a welcomed addition to your library.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 10:56 am 
Mike Collins wrote:
Only two people observed the transit of Venus in 1639 but the rare occasion quickly gained in popularity and spawned scientific expeditions to various areas of the world.
Last year I saw an exhibit in the Washington State History Museum on Captain's Cook visit to the Northwest and his other journeys. Then I started reading several books available on Captain Cook in the Seattle Public Library. The observance of the transit of Venus was one of his missions on his first voyage of discovery commissioned by the Royal Society. This was needed to help establish the accurate measurement of longitude. The voyage was from 1768-71. There were two other such voyages ending (for him) with his death in Hawaii. ~z

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 4:32 pm 
The world was expanding in the Age of Enlightenment. Voyages of the 18th century brought new discoveries that kept cartographers busy supplying atlases to a growing prosperous class. Two-sheet double paged maps were introduced and quickly gained popularity. The World at Their Fingertips-Eighteenth-Century British Two-Sheet Double-Hemisphere World Maps by Geoff Armitage explores this peculiar British phenomenon. The author worked in the British Library Map Collection for 25 years and weaves his scholarship of the subject matter with the the dozens of map plates shown to provide an enjoyable read.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:12 pm 
The parfleche was the luggage for the people of the Great Plains in the 19th century. The American Indian Parfleche-A Tradition of Abstract Painting by Gaylord Torrence takes the reader through the history, materials used, construction methods, and interpretation of the art form with his definitive study of the parfleche. One hundred twenty-seven colored examples are presented, often with full pages, to bring a visual treat to this comprehensive review. If you enjoy the study of First Nations you will not be disappointed.

FootHiker

FootHiker
PostSun Mar 05, 2017 3:47 pm 
Casebook: Nymphomania. Four revealing psychiatric case histories based on actual reports and interviews.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:33 pm 
"This Will Make A Man Of You" "One Man's Search for Hemingway and Manhood in a Changing World" by Frank Miniter Skyhorse Publishing This really is a terrific story for those who enjoy Hemingway, and particularly his novel "The Sun Also Rises." 170 pages. I did a full review of this book here: http://www.thegunmag.com/miniter-takes-us-search-hemingway-manhood-2/ And I'm reading it again now. Miniter is that good a writer, and his descriptive prose is really good.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence